Monitor Calibration Question

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Monitor Calibration Question

Post by MOF »

blinddrew wrote: ↑
MOF wrote: ↑
No speaker is perfect - it's how you react to what they tell you that matters.

And neither are headphones unfortunately.

True, but you can at least take the room out of the equation.

Spot on.

Well yes and no. For many years I used Sennheiser ‘HD540 Reference’ headphones until one of the drivers started to distort on low bass notes, so I did my research and went for Sennheiser HD600 headphones, also open backed. The trouble is they’re not the same sound.
For recording I use Beyer Dynamic DT770 headphones and they have tons more bass than my DT250 headphones that I use for sound recordist work, they’re both closed back designs for obvious reasons.
I tried the Sonarworks plugin on the HD600 headphones, thinking the slightly veiled top end would open out but it just did something subtle with the upper mids.
I’m getting used to them but occasionally wonder if I shouldn’t have gone with Hugh’s AKG suggestion in another thread, but even he said he’s had to acclimatise to their sound.
It seems that, unlike weights and measures, there’s no absolute reference point for speakers or headphones. You just have to get what by and large translates reasonably well to other playback devices.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2264 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by The Elf »

No-one would say all headpones sound alike - it's just that they take the listening environment out of the equation.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20053 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Folderol »

I've got three sets of headphones. One is particularly comfortable for wearing on long composing sessions, another gets a very close match to the sound from my monitors, and the third has a slightly lifted bass response that works well plugged into wimpish CD/media players.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18223 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by James Perrett »

MOF wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:20 pm Well yes and no. For many years I used Sennheiser ‘HD540 Reference’ headphones until one of the drivers started to distort on low bass notes, so I did my research and went for Sennheiser HD600 headphones, also open backed. The trouble is they’re not the same sound.
For recording I use Beyer Dynamic DT770 headphones and they have tons more bass than my DT250 headphones that I use for sound recordist work, they’re both closed back designs for obvious reasons.
I tried the Sonarworks plugin on the HD600 headphones, thinking the slightly veiled top end would open out but it just did something subtle with the upper mids.

What comes across to you as slightly veiled with the HD600's comes across to me as fairly accurate and a balance that agrees fairly well with my monitors. Most other headphones that I've tried have had a more exaggerated top end. The DT250's are similar in presentation - nothing exciting but no real vices either.
James Perrett
Posts: 14379 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page