overcoming dull, boxy, harsh sound of cheap dynamic mics

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: overcoming dull, boxy, harsh sound of cheap dynamic mics

Post by Ariosto »

Various mic setups can be successful for narration. Recently I've been using a DPA 2006C omni mic in upright position. it's covered by a heavy blanket on a higher stand, so no room sound at all, and I'm very close to the mic.

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code ... MT9SwWimMy

Hope the link works (Rupert Brooke poem - public domain).

PS No processing post recording at all.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster
Posts: 920 Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 12:00 am Location: LONDON, UK

Post by RionZ »

Ariosto wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:03 am Various mic setups can be successful for narration. Recently I've been using a DPA 2006C omni mic in upright position. it's covered by a heavy blanket on a higher stand, so no room sound at all, and I'm very close to the mic.

Lovely sound, as one would expect from a mic of that caliber! I don't imagine you need to do much in the way of post processing. Nice reading and poem BTW :)
RionZ
Poster

Post by ef37a »

Hmm, the NT1a is around 30dB more sensitive than the Beyer RionZ but I bet you are not cranking 30dB more gain from your AI pre amp? Therefore you are IMHO doing what is usual with a dynamic mic, getting closer. That fact, added to the greater directionality of the M99 is responsible for the better rejection of noises off.

Then, the fact that you are working at a worse noise figure than the NT adds to my opinion.

But, as I said, really glad you are sorted.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16517 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Ariosto »

RionZ wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:06 pm
Ariosto wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:03 am Various mic setups can be successful for narration. Recently I've been using a DPA 2006C omni mic in upright position. it's covered by a heavy blanket on a higher stand, so no room sound at all, and I'm very close to the mic.

Lovely sound, as one would expect from a mic of that caliber! I don't imagine you need to do much in the way of post processing. Nice reading and poem BTW :)

Many thanks for your nice comments. No, I never, or rarely do any post processing. Just editing my mistakes out etc. I'm not able to record at present as I'm battling some bad ill health, and not sure about the future.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster
Posts: 920 Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 12:00 am Location: LONDON, UK