Just got the Korg Prophecy out of storage ...

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Just got the Korg Prophecy out of storage ...

Post by Arpangel »

The Red Bladder wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:22 pm Prophecy, Z1, Triton, Karma, MS20, MS2000 all in constant use.

Mr Bladder, I remember those Z1 shinanigans at your place, I listen to that track now, and those sounds are truly amazing, really other-worldly, you don't know if you're listening to an electronic or an acoustic sound, I can't describe those sounds, but they fit the track perfectly, it was a track that was made up of music entirely done at your place, featured your beautiful Bosendorfer piano as well.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by jaminem »

Absolutely loved mine. Miss it greatly...the log controller was the best thing about it, you could take an OOB sound and make it go completely crazy.
Some brilliant synth noises and that plucked guitar was fantastic.

Often find myself on eBay having impure thoughts about the used ones on offer...
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Post by jaminem »

There's a Prophecy Virtual instrument now....how did I not know this?
No log controller but still...
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

MarkOne wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:57 am I always thought the Roland V-Synth GT was an amazing creative powerhouse and not quite like anything else out there (Still wouldn't mind getting one!)

I had one for a while, and sold it on eventually. The built in effects are all good, the VA is cool and Variphrase is a good trick. But Time Machine Pro in Kontakt can do the Variphrase thing, Kontakt has more filters and equal if not better modulation, and any number of free plugins can do whatever the V Synth had (plus the effects in Kontakt 6 itself are a big improvement over v5).

The V-Synth was a bit annoying how it managed audio file importing- it would ignore the loop point.

jaminem wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:42 pm There's a Prophecy Virtual instrument now....how did I not know this?
No log controller but still...

A few weeks ago someone on the forum did an AB with the hardware. The only diff IIRC was the controller response was not exactly lined up the same on the plugin. I've had some success doing it with a Roli Seaboard (the key slide) but I need to hone it some more. FWIW Drew Schlesinger who did most (if not all) of the original presets says it's exact 1:1 sounding... he didn't even know it was coming out, so that's a totally independent endorsement :)
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2567 Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:00 am Location: Cork, Ireland.

Post by jaminem »

Yeah i've been listening to the online demo's it sounds just like I remember it sounding in my head...

Xenex..
Prophetic steps..
Cyclotron..
303Growler...

Oh god...
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Post by jaminem »

Nostalgia created by this thread, Couple of Whiskeys, eBay, Credit Card.
I now own a Prophecy again.

I blame you for this, contributors to this thread...

Also..

Excited, yeah the plugin was a bit cheaper and wont break, but it doesn't have the log controller....
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Post by pilot-wave »

Replaced my OSCar with a Prophecy in the late 90s in a bid to obtain greater fine control over programming articulacy and dynamics, which it certainly gave, though its overall, relatively 'grey', tone in comparison to its richer, more colourful, sounding predecessor was a bit of a disappointment.

But... I think it still shines within a mix having a real edge in carving out those more graphic elements, whatever the style of music... I was particularly fond of its use in some of those more 'out there' 90s industrial Drum & Bass tracks.

Recently dug it out of storage to fill in the temporary role of modular synth controller after my alpha Juno 2 died. What's striking, all over again, is the depth of programming sophistication and modulation control over that engine. In those terms, aside from the tricky UI, it's quite reminiscent of a much later Dave Smith Evolver keys or even Pro 2/3.
pilot-wave
Regular
Posts: 130 Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:00 am Location: Gloucestershire: UK

Post by Forum Admin »

The Red Bladder wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:22 pm Prophecy, Z1, Triton, Karma, MS20, MS2000 all in constant use.

So no Roland then? ;-):beamup:
Forum Admin
Posts: 4291 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Search 16,966 SOS Reviews+Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Podcasts

Post by N i g e l »

pilot-wave wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:44 pm What's striking, all over again, is the depth of programming sophistication and modulation control over that engine. In those terms, aside from the tricky UI, .

I came to the Prophecy owning a DX & analogue monosynth so I saw it as a subdued but modernly complex monosynth.

I found the UI easy but perhaps tedious. There were good shortcuts like presets for each module - eg the envelope genererator had all the usual parameters or for a "quick start" I could select from organ, piano,pluck,etc - preset envelopes.

pilot-wave wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:44 pm I was particularly fond of its use in some of those more 'out there' 90s industrial Drum & Bass tracks.

I think the Prodigys FAT OF THE LAND is a Prophecy album, there may be more definitive examples but you can certainly play "spot the preset" !
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3712 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by pilot-wave »

N i g e l wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:08 pm
... I think the Prodigys FAT OF THE LAND is a Prophecy album, there may be more definitive examples but you can certainly play "spot the preset" !

Ha - yes! Not being overly familiar with that album, I've always misremembered it as being an example of a Moog Prodigy fest due to the band's name and references to its use in their earlier days. Having just now listened to the first track the Prophecy is clearly flaunting itself.

Once it's out of its temporary modular MIDI controller duties, despite having a Pro 2 and MEK sitting here, I really must, after years of storage dormancy, re-investigate that Prophecy engine properly again.
pilot-wave
Regular
Posts: 130 Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:00 am Location: Gloucestershire: UK

Post by resistorman »

Interestingly, this just showed up in my inbox:

Korg Prophecy Editor Now Available

https://coffeeshopped.com/2021/10/korg- ... -available
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2692 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.