Korg M1 waverex card to add PCM sounds (repost, original post no longer exists)

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Korg M1 waverex card to add PCM sounds (repost, original post no longer exists)

Post by therobyouknow »

Just thought I'd mention this again.

https://waverex.de/en

Absolutely no affiliation. What. So. Ever. To be diamond crystal clear: I make no money out of mentioning this, or any other benefit. I am just an enthusiastic user. As I had also mentioned in original post I made.

The original post was at this address: https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 17&t=66879
"SOS Forum • Waverex - Korg M1 PCM samples expansion via new smart PCM data card attached to PC via USB"
- which does not now exist. I presume this was because it broke some moderator guideline. But why? Is it not possible for a forum user to post about their experiences including new hardware they came across and have found to be successful. I'm actually none the wiser as to why the post was removed given the honest altruistic intentions.

I actually had the idea myself to somehow make a card like this and started researching it and couldn't believe it when I saw that someone had actually done it.

In a nutshell, waverex refill is just like a regular Korg M1 PCM card that slots in the back and is recognised by the synth containing waveforms for use in sound patches.

What's special about it is that it has been design to be linked to a PC or Mac where sounds can be downloaded to it. So this means that you can use any PCM sample (within time length limits) on your Korg M1. Waverex have some sounds to download, ranging from sounds from the Korg T series, to synth sounds, to drum kits such as 909. You can define your own from you own samples.

Detractors might say (and have said): why not just buy a Korg M1 virtual synth etc instead. Yes, that's also good. But good things about waverex:

- it's an amazing engineering feat - it's essential an embedded computer inside the PCM card that enables a) samples to be downloaded to it from a host PC/Mac and b) for it to present them "fool" the Korg M1 into seeing them as regular PCM card sounds - reverse engineering the internal protocols used by the Korg M1 to do so
- it's a self contained solution - no external hardware needed - just plug in the card
therobyouknow
Poster
My kit:
Korg M1 Music Workstation Synthesizer (with WaveRex PCM card and m1ram.com batteryless program card),
Fender HMX electric guitar,  
Self built custom PC i7 quadcore 32Gb, SSD W10Pro / Ubuntu Studio (for music-friendly real-time kernel tweaks). Ardour DAW.
SW1000XG in Gigabyte J3455N-D3H / FractalDesign Node 2 W10 32bit XGedit / XG Wizard / XG Manager
MacBook Air M2 13" 24Gb 1Tb
Soundcraft EPM12 Mixer,
2 x Fostex PM0.4n speakers.
Focusrite Scarlett Gen3.

Re: Korg M1 waverex card to add PCM sounds (repost, original post no longer exists)

Post by Martin Walker »

therobyouknow wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:46 pm Just thought I'd mention this again.

https://waverex.de/en

Absolutely no affiliation. What. So. Ever. To be diamond crystal clear: I make no money out of mentioning this, or any other benefit. I am just an enthusiastic user. As I had also mentioned in original post I made.

The original post was at this address: https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 17&t=66879
"SOS Forum • Waverex - Korg M1 PCM samples expansion via new smart PCM data card attached to PC via USB"
- which does not now exist. I presume this was because it broke some moderator guideline. But why? Is it not possible for a forum user to post about their experiences including new hardware they came across and have found to be successful. I'm actually none the wiser as to why the post was removed given the honest altruistic intentions.

Hi therobyouknow!

I'd be very surprised if it was a deliberate decision by any of the mods to delete this thread (I certainly wouldn't have done that).

It's far more likely that it got accidentally pruned during our recent move to a new version of the SOS forum software, when a lot of things got changed behind the scenes, and the forum archives were creaking under the strain.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: Korg M1 waverex card to add PCM sounds (repost, original post no longer exists)

Post by therobyouknow »

Martin Walker wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:34 pm
Hi therobyouknow!

I'd be very surprised if it was a deliberate decision by any of the mods to delete this thread (I certainly wouldn't have done that).

It's far more likely that it got accidentally pruned during our recent move to a new version of the SOS forum software, when a lot of things got changed behind the scenes, and the forum archives were creaking under the strain.

Martin

My apologies for assuming a deliberate decision. Thank you for your support and insight into the possible cause.

My little home studio is coming along further, with this and the SW1000XG in its new home. I'll be sure to catch up on SOS articles to learn of trends and new hardware to admire for a potential purchase in future. In particular new software to evaluate against my enthusiasm for ardour.org Also insights into how songs recorded and sound insulation. Thanks again!
therobyouknow
Poster
My kit:
Korg M1 Music Workstation Synthesizer (with WaveRex PCM card and m1ram.com batteryless program card),
Self built custom PC i7 quadcore 32Gb, SSD W10Pro / Ubuntu Studio (for music-friendly real-time kernel tweaks). Ardour DAW.
SW1000XG in Gigabyte J3455N-D3H / FractalDesign Node 2 W10 32bit XGedit / XG Wizard / XG Manager
Soundcraft EPM12 Mixer,
Focusrite Scarlett Gen3.

Post by Wonks »

Given the post content, there's a possibility it may have got moved to the New Products and Industry News section shortly after it was posted (it certainly won't have been deleted but posts about a new product without any user feedback can end up being moved there if a mod feels it's a more appropriate place).

The new Forum software became live near the end of June 2021, and currently the earliest post in the New Products and Industry News section is from the beginning of Jan 2020, so any posts from before then in that section seem to have been deleted; presumably as over 18 months old they weren't really current news items.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Adam Inglis »

Interesting products.
I see they're also proposing a similar system for the Roland R-8, which I've always hoped for!
But the website is a bit thin on hard data.
Anyone using one of these in anger? I assume there would need to be some software to ensure the samples are correctly formatted etc?
I have an M1R that I control w Midiquest. Fabulous sounding machine and this would be a very interesting expansion...
Adam Inglis
Regular
Posts: 472 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Gold Coast Queensland Australia

Post by therobyouknow »

Adam Inglis wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:04 am Anyone using one of these in anger?

Hello Adam, yes - I own the WaveRex card for Korg M1. I purchased it via their waverex.de site about a few years ago. It works well and there are downloads of sounds to use with it. They all work fine. Some nice synth tones, a few nice instruments and 909 drum kit. I'd love to come across a rich piano like that used on Route 94 - My Love or Sigala - Give Me Your Love. Mind you one of the Pianos on that is that signature House-y from the Korg M1 built in, it's the other one I'm looking for on that track.

I haven't tried creating patches from my own sound samples yet, but there is an editor to configure the sample - e.g. the centre note for each sample in a multisound and so on. Interesting to learn about the sample specs of the M1, e.g. some or all of the sounds are 32KHz sample rate...
therobyouknow
Poster
My kit:
Soundcraft EPM12 Mixer,
Focusrite Scarlett Gen3.

Post by therobyouknow »

Now checkout the battery-less program storage memory cards for the M1, providing a companion to the waverex PCM card, much in the same way the traditional ROM PCM cards were paired with program cards that used them: https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... p?p=875667
therobyouknow
Poster
My kit:
Soundcraft EPM12 Mixer,
Focusrite Scarlett Gen3.

Post by t-sun »

I've been keeping an eye on Waverex for a few years now due to their Roland U-series PCM card project, but frustratingly while they apparently have the hardware in production and ready to go, they've had it listed with the caveat "The Software Editor is delayed! So this is a pre-order!" for the better part of 5 years if memory serves.

My CM-32P isn't getting any use these days but I fear it won't be saved from sale by the Waverex card.
t-sun
Regular