Disintegration/RandomReordering/Morphing what do they mean?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Disintegration/RandomReordering/Morphing what do they mean?

Post by Gazetka »

Hello everybody! I've stumbled on some terms related to sound design while reading related material. They were mentioned briefly but I couldn't find a proper description for what they do or any examples anywhere. :headbang:

Disintegration
Random Reordering
Morphing
Stereo or Multichannel scattering

Does anybody know any of these in the context of Synthesis or working with the sound? :beamup:

Thanks in advance!
Gazetka
New here

Re: Disintegration/RandomReordering/Morphing what do they mean?

Post by siderealxxx »

These aren't common/universal terms in sound/synth design. Most likely a way of describing certain effects that can be achieved. For example;

Disintegration could be downsampling or bit reduction. It could also be saturation or extreme reverberation.

Random reordering could be sample slicing and glitching etc.

Morphing could be using synth macros to modulate parameters concurrently. It could also be using complex sample morphing processes.

Scattering is more likely related to something like granular synthesis which extracts many tiny points of a sample and clusters them into something new.
siderealxxx
Frequent Poster
Posts: 562 Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:00 am Location: Cambridgeshire
Excess makes the heart grow fonder

Post by Gazetka »

Thank you so much! That makes so much sense now, short and to the point! <3<3<3 I dont know how to thank you enough! :angel::angel::angel:
Gazetka
New here

Post by Arpangel »

The words you mention are self explanatory, there’s no mystery.
I appreciate there are people from all levels of recording here, buy literally, there’s nothing to explain, musical examples would sound exactly as they describe, try doing something musically that they suggest, to you, just see what happens.

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Gazetka »

Yeah, now I see that they are basically super technical way to describe certain procedures. Sorry for asking, but English is not my native language, so when it goes into such high tech terminology I start to disassociate a bit.
Gazetka
New here

Post by Arpangel »

Gazetka wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:42 pm Yeah, now I see that they are basically super technical way to describe certain procedures. Sorry for asking, but English is not my native language, so when it goes into such high tech terminology I start to disassociate a bit.

I know exactly what you mean, technical descriptions can be very confusing, and sometimes get difficult in translation.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster