Apple Event Monday 18th Oct 6pm UK time

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Apple Event Monday 18th Oct 6pm UK time

Post by redlester »

https://www.apple.com/uk/apple-events/

Presumably Monterey becomes the 'current' OS next week then?
redlester
Regular
Posts: 233 Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:50 pm Location: East Midlands, UK

Re: Apple Event Monday 18th Oct 6pm UK time

Post by Forum Admin »

Could be the much-rumoured unveiling of the M1x (or whatever the 2nd gen silicon is named) 'more pro' MacBooks?

https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/news/macbo ... tedly-leak

Personally, I'm very happy with my 13-inch 16GB/1TB M1 MBPro as I plug it into a Thunderbolt display anyway, and the dinky 13-inch size and light weight is great for travelling.
Forum Admin
Posts: 4233 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Search 16,966 SOS Reviews+Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Podcasts

Post by Kennyscrown »

Literally had the Apple website open ready to purchase an M1 MacBook Air with 16GB memory and a 1TB SSD when I read your thread.

Now I’m wondering if I should just wait. Doubt I’ll be able to afford an upgraded MacBook Pro though…

Hmmm.
Kennyscrown
Poster

Post by Forum Admin »

From what I gather there are a LOT of Mac owners sitting on the fence waiting for a better, more expandable (it is hoped) MB Pro with a 14" or 16" screen.

Given the worldwide 'chip crisis' it might well be 2022 before any M1X Macs become available and demand will be high. My wife ordered my MacBook Pro M1 in November 2020 and it did not get built and shipped to me until 20th January 2021, as there was such a backlog. I was happy to live without my big Christmas present, and kept using my 2010 Intel MB Pro for work as I used my Mac Pro trashcan for the studio.

Then again, Apple may not announce new Macs on 18th October. It's anyone's guess.

The 1st Gen M1s are superb tools. No complaints here.
Forum Admin
Posts: 4233 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SOS Podcasts

Post by Luke W »

Forum Admin wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:59 am From what I gather there are a LOT of Mac owners sitting on the fence waiting for a better, more expandable (it is hoped) MB Pro with a 14" or 16" screen.

I've been sitting on a similar fence for the past few years. I got myself a pre-touchbar Intel MBP a few years ago to use as an in-between studio machine while I waited for either A) A new Mac Pro, or B) A more powerful Mac Mini. The Mac Pro happened but not in my price range, and the Mini also got an update but when all of the talk of Apple Silicon started I decided to hold off some more rather than go for an Intel model that was almost certainly going to get replaced before long.

My home machine is a (now very tired) 2008 MacBook Pro, and so I'm hoping to replace it with my studio MBP, and put something there in place as my main DAW machine. So I'm rather interested to see what gets announced.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1526 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by redlester »

Whether they release any new computers or not, surely it will include the announcement of Monterey?

Which means if you want a brand new Mac, but want to avoid any compatibility issues for plug-ins etc., you might need to be prepared to have to 'downgrade' the OS as soon as you turn it on.

Having only just 'moved up' to a trash can Mac Pro am happy to wait for all the new technology to become more settled before I dive into it.
redlester
Regular
Posts: 233 Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:50 pm Location: East Midlands, UK

Post by rACed2 »

redlester wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:24 pm Whether they release any new computers or not, surely it will include the announcement of Monterey?

Which means if you want a brand new Mac, but want to avoid any compatibility issues for plug-ins etc., you might need to be prepared to have to 'downgrade' the OS as soon as you turn it on.

Having only just 'moved up' to a trash can Mac Pro am happy to wait for all the new technology to become more settled before I dive into it.

Excepting that ‘downgrading’ to a prior to release OS is generally not possible.
rACed2
Regular
Organ, synth’s x2 Not enough time or talent.

Post by tea for two »

M1 Max : 10hpc, 32gpc, 64GB unified memory, 8TB upto 7.4GB/s nvme.

Looking at my 2010 mbp it's alright my dear I am loyal I still like you, I shall hold on to you, I shan't trade you for a newer younger model (unless you give up the ghost).
tea for two
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by MOF »

Well now that the announcements have been made I’m very impressed but personally I’m going to stick with my M1 13” MBP and 27” Intel iMac.
MOF
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2259 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by Kennyscrown »

The new MacBook Pros do look very very cool.

But after purchasing a refurbished M1 MacBook Air last week I’m kind of relieved they are leaving that model untouched. Also quite pleased that to get the same memory/SSD it will still cost £700 more than I paid.

And the M1 seems so incredibly fast. It’s like magic after my 2013 iMac.
Kennyscrown
Poster

Post by Forum Admin »

Kennyscrown wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:56 pm And the M1 seems so incredibly fast. It’s like magic after my 2013 iMac.

Very true. I'm a lifelong 1985-on Apple fanboy, but I dislike the way Apple's launches hook me in and make me look at my latest, recently bought Apple devices with disdain... until reality kicks in and I recognise fully that "last year's model" is still highly usable.

The transition to Apple Silicon is chalk and cheese compared to my Intel Macs, and my M1 MBPro 13" is a superb machine. It plugs into my CalDigit for its power supply and port options, so that side is well covered. 8TB of SSD on these new MacBook Pro M1 Pro/M1 Max processors costs a fortune, so external large capacity SSDs are still the sensible option, plugged into the computer or a Thunderbolt hub.

But I did enjoy the presentation last night.
Forum Admin
SOS Podcasts

Post by Luke W »

Forum Admin wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:04 am Very true. I'm a lifelong 1985-on Apple fanboy, but I dislike the way Apple's launches hook me in and make me look at my latest, recently bought Apple devices with disdain... until reality kicks in and I recognise fully that "last year's model" is still highly usable.

I've actually felt rather smug with the last few releases after going for the last of the TB2 machines once the touch bar models were announced/released. I use a 2019 MBP at work (the ones before they swapped out the keyboards and added physical escape buttons) and for various reasons it makes me pretty content with the choice I made.

However, these new machines look pretty tasty... I've only skimmed through the details from the event, but the chip announcements are really interesting. I'm not in the market for another laptop, but an M1 Max in a Mini shell would certainly get my attention.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1526 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK