Apple Event Monday 18th Oct 6pm UK time

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Apple Event Monday 18th Oct 6pm UK time

Post by ConcertinaChap »

I got an iMac Pro 3 years back and now I'm glad I did. The power of the thing is so much greater than my needs that I can be reasonably dispassionate about the whole Apple silicon thing. Unless I'm very unlucky I'm not going to need to replace it for years and by the time I do its replacement will be a pretty cool machine, I'd guess. Nice one, Apple.

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13041 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Re: Apple Event Monday 18th Oct 6pm UK time

Post by johnny h »

Forum Admin wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:17 am I think I watched every YouTube Mac blogger's pre-announcement videos and they all predicted a "pro" Mac mini. So it was a little disappointing not to see one - but it's probably safe to say there will be one in 2022 along with a 32" display iMac Pro that offers the M1 Pro and/or M1 Max chip/memory options.

Disclaimer: I have no inside info and this is my guess.

These youtube mac bloggers are just grifters - they don't have any inside information and just read the same rumour blogs that everyone else does!

Clearly the Pro and Max chips will make their way into forthcoming products, but probably not this year. The 16" Apple Silicon was the computer I've been waiting for, and it's coming next week. I'm looking forward to retiring the trusty big desktop for good.
johnny h
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4109 Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:00 am

Re: Apple Event Monday 18th Oct 6pm UK time

Post by Luke W »

johnny h wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:35 pm Clearly the Pro and Max chips will make their way into forthcoming products, but probably not this year. The 16" Apple Silicon was the computer I've been waiting for, and it's coming next week. I'm looking forward to retiring the trusty big desktop for good.

Definitely. Given the move away from Intel was planned to take course over two years, one of which has now passed, I'd be very surprised if there isn't some form of "Pro" desktop sporting an M1 Max/Pro within the next twelve months.

I assume the reason that the current high end Mini stayed with Intel was to do with the limited RAM capacity of the first gen Apple chips, so that seems a prime candidate for an update. How they transition the Mac Pro will be interesting as well, although it's safe to assume that will remain outside of what I'll be wanting, or needing, to spend.
User avatar
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1568 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Don't rule out the 2020 M1 Mac mini

Post by Forum Admin »

Luke W wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:00 pm
I assume the reason that the current high end Mini stayed with Intel was to do with the limited RAM capacity of the first gen Apple chips, so that seems a prime candidate for an update.

Given Mac mini M1 models released in 2020 can be bought with 16GB RAM, restricting expansion I think was a deliberate move by Apple to produce a low-cost M1 Mac mini for the masses. It is an incredibly powerful computer, and able to run way more plug-ins etc than the higher-end Intel-based Mac mini can. People are doing decent video editing on 8GB of RAM (let alone 16GB) with this 8-core M1 machine.

There will be the rumoured redesigned glass-topped M1 Pro/M1 Max Mac mini coming in 2022, I'd bet money on it, but don't discount the current 1st Gen M1 Mac mini - at £699 (inc 20% UK VAT) for 256GB Flash storage, yes it is way too little, but easy to connect a Thunderbolt SSD or USB3 Samsung 2TB T7 SSD and run sample libraries off that. And doing so will give you one heck of a beast for music production for PC-like money.
User avatar
Forum Admin
Moderator
Posts: 4301 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Search 17,079 SOS Reviews+Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
Listen to 150+ SOS Podcasts

Re: Don't rule out the 2020 M1 Mac mini

Post by Luke W »

Forum Admin wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:12 pm Given Mac mini M1 models released in 2020 can be bought with 16GB RAM, restricting expansion I think was a deliberate move by Apple to produce a low-cost M1 Mac mini for the masses. It is an incredibly powerful computer, and able to run way more plug-ins etc than the higher-end Intel-based Mac mini can. People are doing decent video editing on 8GB of RAM (let alone 16GB) with this 8-core M1 machine.

There will be the rumoured redesigned glass-topped M1 Pro/M1 Max Mac mini coming in 2022, I'd bet money on it, but don't discount the current 1st Gen M1 Mac mini - at £699 (inc 20% UK VAT) for 256GB Flash storage, yes it is way too little, but easy to connect a Thunderbolt SSD or USB3 Samsung 2TB T7 SSD and run sample libraries off that. And doing so will give you one heck of a beast for music production for PC-like money.

Absolutely. I don't doubt the capability of the current M1 Minis, some of the tests that have been carried out have shown some amazing results. My current MBP is actually holding up really well in the studio, and I added a PC to the setup earlier this year to do the heavy lifting with sample libraries and virtual instruments so that's made a huge difference.

My motivation for upgrading is actually more based on the fact that my home laptop is getting very tired, and I always planned to replace it with my studio machine and put a desktop there to take over studio duty. I've considered just getting myself a new laptop for home and leaving the studio as it is, but seeing as the MBP is currently just racked up driving a couple of external screens and I never even look at its lovely display, it seems like a bit of a waste.
User avatar
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1568 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Re: Apple Event Monday 18th Oct 6pm UK time

Post by tea for two »

Further to my loyalty towards my 2010mbp.
I intend to get Luna Display https://astropad.com/product/lunadisplay/
to make M1Max Mini into a touchscreen with Ipad Pro 2018 2020 12.9 inch.
Or if they refresh M1 Mini with colours newer glass top design.
tea for two
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3548 Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:00 am

Re: Don't rule out the 2020 M1 Mac mini

Post by johnny h »

Forum Admin wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:12 pm Given Mac mini M1 models released in 2020 can be bought with 16GB RAM, restricting expansion I think was a deliberate move by Apple to produce a low-cost M1 Mac mini for the masses. It is an incredibly powerful computer, and able to run way more plug-ins etc than the higher-end Intel-based Mac mini can. People are doing decent video editing on 8GB of RAM (let alone 16GB) with this 8-core M1 machine.

8GB RAM on an Intel machine is barely usable, and yet as you say proper video editing can be done on a 8GB M1 machine, so its not directly comparable.

My MacBook 16 is coming next week, I'll let you know how it performs for audio. I have high hopes!
johnny h
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4109 Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:00 am
Post Reply