Budget ish overhead mics?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Budget ish overhead mics?

Post by Adamamam »

Hello!

I've been using a pair of se1 mics for overheads for ages. I would like a change/alternative.

Budget is low. Maybe 300 for a pair.

Is there anything worth buying as an alternative for that money? Ecm8000 is interesting, but currently unavailable.

Any ideas would be great!
Adamamam
New here

Re: Budget ish overhead mics?

Post by Drew Stephenson »

On my list I'd probably have: Rode NT5, Audix F9, Sontronics STC1, Lewitt LCT140 and the sE8.
Should be able to get a pair for £300 for any of those if you hunt around.
Choosing between them is probably a minefield but the Rode might have a bit of a head-start in that you can add an omni capsule further down the line if you want.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24583 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Smellthevalve »

Sontronics tends to get a thumbs up around here

https://www.sontronics.com/stc1s
Smellthevalve
Frequent Poster
Posts: 714 Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:00 am Location: Surrey, UK

Post by James Perrett »

Around that price I'd be also looking at the Line Audio CM4's. I have the older CM3's and they are excellent on all the sources that I've tried them on including overheads.
James Perrett
Posts: 14354 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Luke W »

James Perrett wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:19 pm Around that price I'd be also looking at the Line Audio CM4's. I have the older CM3's and they are excellent on all the sources that I've tried them on including overheads.

That was going to be my suggestion. I've not used them myself but know of a few people who either have some or have used them, and I've heard nothing but praise.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1536 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by Matt Houghton »

Wildcard option, depending on your space/preferred technique: ribbon mics.

You could pick up a pair of cheap ribbons for that price (though how well matched they'd be I don't know) or, for just a wee bit more (currently 399 Euros according to their site = approx £340) the Prodipe RCL stereo ribbon.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Post by Funkyflash5 »

Not sure how the prices are where you are, but I've liked my pair of Lauten Audio LA-120s, and here at least they are on sale this month within your budget. And for just over (or if you could track down a used pair) the Cascade Fatheads are the most used mics in my collection!
Funkyflash5
Regular
Posts: 215 Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:43 am Location: Wisconsin, USA

Post by Adamamam »

Thanks so much for all the recommendations! I'm going to sift through and research them. I'd love a pair of ribbons, but I can't find anything near budget, PLUS my room isn't great, so I'm not sure that investing in something that will contain so much room (omni/ribbon) is wise.

I'll get reading!

Thanks again!
Adamamam
New here

Post by The Elf »

A pair of MXL603 are decent mic's for little money.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20028 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by djangodeadman »

blinddrew wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:25 pm On my list I'd probably have: Rode NT5, Audix F9, Sontronics STC1, Lewitt LCT140 and the sE8.
Choosing between them is probably a minefield but the Rode might have a bit of a head-start in that you can add an omni capsule further down the line if you want.

There are omni capsules available for the SE8s now as well.
djangodeadman
Regular
Posts: 354 Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:00 am Location: Brighton

Post by Drew Stephenson »

djangodeadman wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:02 pm
blinddrew wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:25 pm On my list I'd probably have: Rode NT5, Audix F9, Sontronics STC1, Lewitt LCT140 and the sE8.

:thumbup: Didn't know that, thanks.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24583 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by djangodeadman »

blinddrew wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:05 pm
djangodeadman wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:02 pm

:thumbup: Didn't know that, thanks.

They also now sell an omni version of the SE8, for which you can buy a, you guessed it, cardioid capsule!
djangodeadman
Regular
Posts: 354 Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:00 am Location: Brighton

Post by Guest »

+1 for the cm4’s.

Post by shufflebeat »

I'm currently assessing the Slate ml2 which has some very interesting software options.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/slate-d ... one-system

https://www.soundonsound.com/news/slate ... -announced

I was pretty.sure there was a review of this in the mag but can't put my thumb on it for now.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9102 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Adamamam »

shufflebeat wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:19 am I'm currently assessing the Slate ml2 which has some very interesting software options.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/slate-d ... one-system

https://www.soundonsound.com/news/slate ... -announced

I was pretty.sure there was a review of this in the mag but can't put my thumb on it for now.

This is a very interesting option that I hadn't considered at all! How is your assessment going?
Adamamam
New here

Post by shufflebeat »

I initially bought the mic for it's reported linear/flat resonse properties as a training mic for my Tonedexter and general duties. The SDC and 421 modelling works really well for acoustic guitar which is the basis of most of my experimenting at the minute.

I'll be doing direct comparisons with a real '57 and '421 when time allows. I don't have any others on the freebie list but will also compare the ribbons to my little Beyer to see if the character is in any way similar.

Unfortunately the ML2 hasn't proved to be an improvement over (or indeed, as good as) a '57 in the role for which it was intended.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9102 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Luke Highdriver »

Luke W wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:33 pm
James Perrett wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:19 pm Around that price I'd be also looking at the Line Audio CM4's. I have the older CM3's and they are excellent on all the sources that I've tried them on including overheads.

That was going to be my suggestion. I've not used them myself but know of a few people who either have some or have used them, and I've heard nothing but praise.

Agree. I have the CM3s which have a much more omni-like bottom at a distance and smooth top to boot. Ideal on OH for me. The CM4 has the same wide pattern, so the same sound presumably. I spoke to Roger Jönsson a while back who said the CM4 has improved off axis performance as well. Recommend.
Luke Highdriver
New here
Posts: 12 Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:00 am Location: Northampton, UK