Optical Digtal Audio 'pass through' iMac?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Optical Digtal Audio 'pass through' iMac?

Post by james090 »

I'm using an iMac daily with the older Headphone as Optical Digital Output to my Audio interface to stream 2 ch Stereo to the Audio interface. It works perfectly.

I also have another Macbook Pro 2013 (so has the Headphone as Optical Digital Output) and I have the relevant cable.

Can I pass audio 'through' the iMac from the MBP Digital Out to iMac Digi In and iMac Digi Out to my Audio interface, so that I can play both the iMac and MBP digitally to the Audio interface? (long story)

So use the iMac to pass audio 'thru' from its Mic In (digital) to its Headphone out (digital)?

MBP >digi H/Phone out> iMac digi IN (Mic)

iMac digi H/Phone out > Audio interface (and speakers)

I am setting it up now with the MBP and can't hear anything 'thru' ?
MBP says its now on 'Digtal Out' and iMac is recieving 'Digtal IN'

Is this possible?
Cant see any settings in System Preferences > Audio
or ... Audio MIDI Setup?
james090
Regular

Re: Optical Digtal Audio 'pass through' iMac?

Post by adamburgess »

I think I remember you posting about this before?
A bit unorthodox, but, hey - if it works for you!

Loopback can set up virtual devices and route any channel of anything to anywhere. It's been really useful for me on a good few occasions. This might be one of those occasions. It runs in the background totally seamlessly once you've got it set as you like it.

https://rogueamoeba.com/loopback/
adamburgess
Regular

Post by james090 »

adamburgess wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:21 pm I think I remember you posting about this before?
A bit unorthodox, but, hey - if it works for you!

Loopback can set up virtual devices and route any channel of anything to anywhere. It's been really useful for me on a good few occasions. This might be one of those occasions. It runs in the background totally seamlessly once you've got it set as you like it.

Yes I probably have posted before regarding the Optical out on the newer Mac's and even Apple themselves were unable to answer if this has returned!

But Optical Out for me works great with no problems from 1 iMac to its Audio Interface.

Loopback wouldn't work here i'm sure as I need physical cables between 2 Macs, so chaining them would be the best solution.
It just seems that the optical in/out doesn't allow 'thru' so i can link the two Macs together?
james090
Regular

Post by James Perrett »

james090 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:33 pm
adamburgess wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:21 pm Loopback can set up virtual devices and route any channel of anything to anywhere. It's been really useful for me on a good few occasions. This might be one of those occasions. It runs in the background totally seamlessly once you've got it set as you like it.

It just seems that the optical in/out doesn't allow 'thru' so i can link the two Macs together?

I think Adam is suggesting that you use Loopback to create the thru connection. Of course you could also use a DAW with input monitoring enabled to achieve the same thing.
James Perrett
Posts: 14353 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by adamburgess »

Yes, James - and James!

You'd create a virtual device in Loopback.
Your Optical In would become a 'source'. Then it will route anywhere internally.
By default, I think your system output will always go, regardless.
You just need to draw a couple of cables from the Optical In to Output Channels 1-2 and it should sum them together.

I'd do a quick screenshot but my Macs don't have Optical.
adamburgess
Regular

Post by james090 »

Ah i see I am with you now..

What maybe better (or very similar) is that I use GroundControl Room which is probably the same, maybe better? that allows audio to be routed anywhere on the same Mac.

I guess actually this would do it routing audio in then back out!

Its always good to ask on here, as some things are staring you in the face, but didn't realise they would be application/program to work, until you get some feedback!

Thank you gents!
james090
Regular

Post by adamburgess »

Good luck!

And that software is cheaper than Loopback!
adamburgess
Regular