SkyLine Diffusor Calculator Question ??

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

SkyLine Diffusor Calculator Question ??

Post by Matthew Seed »

Hi Guys

I want to make a custom size Skyline style diffusor from wood for my studio. I can't seem to find a straight answer on the design i.e how to lay out the wood blocks and what length ?

Would anybody know a good calculator for this please ?

Thanks
Matthew
Matthew Seed
Regular

Re: SkyLine Diffusor Calculator Question ??

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

A good place to start is probably here: http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/reports/1995-01.pdf
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38977 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Martin Walker »

blindrew of these forums has built a couple for his studio (and very nice they look too), so will probably be along in a minute with helpful DIY advice.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Ha! I think the only advice I can add is to work out how much wood you need, double check, double check again. Be prepared to be slightly mind-boggled at how much is actually required for a reasonably modestly sized diffuser.
If you take the example in the paper Hugh linked to, of a 2' by 2' (or 60cm in new money) with a maximum depth/protrusion of 20cm. You're looking at 12x12 grid of 2" timber with an average length of 10cm. So one panel will be 14.4m of 5cm x 5cm timber.
Which brings me to my second point - that will be pretty heavy, make sure you use an appropriate wall fixing.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24575 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Eddy Deegan »

blinddrew wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:00 pm Ha! I think the only advice I can add is to work out how much wood you need, double check, double check again. Be prepared to be slightly mind-boggled at how much is actually required for a reasonably modestly sized diffuser.
If you take the example in the paper Hugh linked to, of a 2' by 2' (or 60cm in new money) with a maximum depth/protrusion of 20cm. You're looking at 12x12 grid of 2" timber with an average length of 10cm. So one panel will be 14.4m of 5cm x 5cm timber.
Which brings me to my second point - that will be pretty heavy, make sure you use an appropriate wall fixing.

According to this lumber weight calculator, 47.25 feet (14.4m) of 2x2 Scots Pine weighs just under 19Kg (42lb). Of course there are a number of variables with regards to how dry and what sort of wood it is (these can be plugged into the calculator linked above) but that seems a reasonable ballpark to me.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8822 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Matthew Seed »

Thanks guys for your input. Blind drew what calculator did you use to make yours or did you just go for random lengths. Thanks.
Matthew Seed
Regular

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Hi Matthew, I just went with a random approach. Given the long list of compromises that my studio is built on it seemed an acceptable trade off.
Mine are a bit smaller than the model in Hugh's link but basically I marked off the timber at increasing sizes (1 cm, 2cm, upwards), lobbed them all in a bag and pulled them out randomly to attach to the backboard.
About halfway down this page there are some photos: https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... &start=270
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24575 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/