The popularity of distressing, disintegrating sound.

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The popularity of distressing, disintegrating sound.

Post by TomChimera »

Hi, I think there are few elements to it.

As I understand there is a need of animals including humans to become part of their environment, to grow new neurological connections, and to change physically.
I even heard from a singing teacher that the Diaphragm changes as a reaction to the soundscape one is immersed in, like if you are in a city or nature..
Like birds imitating their soundscape.
And these sounds existed for a long time around us.

Many people associate it with certain feelings, experiences, times in their life, etc..
It part of musical reification, like when you hear a song from a film you liked and the emotion is triggered. Few years ago I read research about it from neurology perspective.

There is also the Idea of having more choices in the painter's color palette.
Difference create contrast and this brings engagement and interest.
Many of us desire difference and contrasts in various forms, this brings another form to the palette.

Tom
TomChimera
Regular

Post by Drongoloid »

Also interesting to consider what might be a parallel in other creative concerns like film, photography or painting. What is the equivelent of lo-fi 8-bit glitching in the world of fiction (writing)?
Drongoloid
Regular
Posts: 94 Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:00 am Location: P for Elterwater

Post by BWC »

Drongoloid wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:34 pm What is the equivelent of lo-fi 8-bit glitching in the world of fiction (writing)?

Perhaps when a character is stressed in a way that their dialog sporadically regresses to childlike?
BWC
Regular
Posts: 475 Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:12 am Location: FL, US
BWC

Post by RichardT »

The great thing about producing music now is that we have all these wonderful processing tools available to us with a few clicks. Plus now we have free (or nearly free) access to all the world’s music of the last few hundred years as well. And we can collaborate easily with musicians around the globe.

I expect all this will usher in a time of great creativity. Now we can create fusions not just across genres but also across eras!

Added to which in a few years we will have usable AI assistants.
RichardT
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4074 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by Martin Walker »

Drongoloid wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:34 pm Also interesting to consider what might be a parallel in other creative concerns like film, photography or painting.

Well a classic interpretation of hauntology in painting must be
Roy Lichtenstein:

One for film is surely Sin City with its greatly reduced dynamic colour range:

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Drew Stephenson »

And in photography you've got all your 'vintage' filters or deliberate use of high ISO for visible grain.
And in literature I guess you've got things like A Void by Georges Perec or A Girl Is A Half-formed Thing by Eimear McBride.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24445 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Arpangel »

Drongoloid wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:34 pm Also interesting to consider what might be a parallel in other creative concerns like film, photography or painting. What is the equivelent of lo-fi 8-bit glitching in the world of fiction (writing)?

I’m not sure you can, some things you just can’t make an analogy with.
John Cage, Mesostics, maybe?

Martin, if Stars Of The Lid ever tour again, you have to see them, I’m not going to even begin to describe how incredible they are live, if you think the "music" is good and you haven’t even seen them yet :shocked:
In terms of live shows, they aren’t on the cutting edge, they’ve gone way beyond it and fallen right over.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by BigRedX »

IMO in music "LoFi" only really becomes a thing once "HiFi" is easily available to anyone who wants it.

Right up until the mid 90s almost everything I did could be termed "LoFi" because that was simply all the technology I could afford a the time for creating, playing and recording music could achieve. On the few occasions that we went into a "proper" recording studio, financial constraints meant that either it was only a slight step up in quality or we simply couldn't afford the time to really do the songs(s) recorded justice. A lot of the time a "good" take was one in which all of the band got all the way through the song without producing any glaring errors. And then of course the results were released to the pubic on compact cassette or budget vinyl pressings.

I think it is unsurprising that once "perfect" sound reproduction is the norm, that people look to add some "dirt" back into the proceedings. However it is very much select dirt and while it might not sound like it to most listeners you can bet that the artist producing it has carefully tweaked the dirt to exactly their requirements. It's very rarely uncontrollable dirt produced because the instruments or recording process are incapable of anything else.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster (Level2)
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by TomChimera »

Drongoloid wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:34 pm Also interesting to consider what might be a parallel in other creative concerns like film, photography or painting. What is the equivelent of lo-fi 8-bit glitching in the world of fiction (writing)?

I thought about this since I read it, very interesting.

Here's a parallel of glitching in... I don't really know what art this is :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxdlYFCp5Ic
TomChimera
Regular

Post by awjoe »

Arpangel wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:30 am

Martin, if Stars Of The Lid ever tour again, you have to see them, I’m not going to even begin to describe how incredible they are live, if you think the "music" is good and you haven’t even seen them yet :shocked:
In terms of live shows, they aren’t on the cutting edge, they’ve gone way beyond it and fallen right over.

Att'n: Arpangel

Tony, I found a number of Stars of the Lid CDs at my local stockist's. Any particular recommendations?
awjoe
Jedi Poster
Chronologically blessed.

Post by awjoe »

Martin Walker wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:08 pmOh, and the duo Boards Of Canada are probably the best introduction to the whole genre in the musical sense

I got Geogaddi on a whim. It's really good. It gives me hope when I stumble into something I've never heard before and it's really good. Their stuff makes me feel they were no strangers to Portishead. On the other hand, they sound really unique, but that's not very deep of me because I've heard so little stuff like that.
awjoe
Jedi Poster
Chronologically blessed.

Post by Arpangel »

awjoe wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:48 am
Martin Walker wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:08 pmOh, and the duo Boards Of Canada are probably the best introduction to the whole genre in the musical sense

I got Geogaddi on a whim. It's really good. It gives me hope when I stumble into something I've never heard before and it's really good. Their stuff makes me feel they were no strangers to Portishead. On the other hand, they sound really unique, but that's not very deep of me because I've heard so little stuff like that.

You must get Tomorrows Harvest, very powerful.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster