Late 80’s early 90’s Bass preamps?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Late 80’s early 90’s Bass preamps?

Post by heavenorlasvegas »

I read somewhere that alot of bass stuff was done in that era through rack preamps then straight into the console, no amp, no di box. Is this true?

Anyone know of any cool boxes for that type of late 80s early 90s bass sound?
heavenorlasvegas
Regular

Re: Late 80’s early 90’s Bass preamps?

Post by Wonks »

The 1989 Tech21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI is certainly one such product, and both the bass and guitar versions of the pedal were used a lot in studios, and still are, (though the digital modelling units like the Helix and Kemper have recently become far more popular for this role).

There's now a mk 2 version with a few extra features.

https://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sans ... driver-di/
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by The Korff »

The new Zoom B6 includes four models of 'classic' DI boxes — two valve and two solid-state. I assume the SansAmp is one of them.

There's a news story about it here, and we'll be reviewing one as soon as they can send it: https://www.soundonsound.com/news/zoom- ... -processor

Cheers!

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2272 Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:28 am Location: The Wrong Precinct

Post by jaminem »

Yes, its true and as Wonks has stated the Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI was the weapon of choice.
If you want the Rack version its the Bass Driver RBI. They've also done a revised version in both pedal and rack format called the VTBass DI, which has more of an 'Ampeg' leaning.

For the full 80's Rack experience look at the Peavey Bass Preamps - I have a Probass 1000. This is cool as it has a crossover on the multiple outputs so you output Full range, High and Low DI and you can vary the crossover on the front.

There's also the Max Bass, the Alpha the TB Raxx. Peavey went mad for them.

Bear in mind that the fashion in the 80's was for lots and lots of treble in the tone, to cut through massive walls of guitars so the top end can be very very fierce. I love all that stuff...but its worth knowing if you plugin and your monitors are up loud...
jaminem
Frequent Poster

thanks for the replies, all.

anything else come to mind from that era? thanks again.
heavenorlasvegas
Regular

Post by sonics »

I worked on a lot of "big hair" rock in the UK back then. I remember GK, Marshall, SWR, Peavey, DigiTech, Ampeg. Possibly Trace Elliot? Mark Bass?

(It's been a while...!)
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1634 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by Wonks »

sonics wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:58 pm I worked on a lot of "big hair" rock in the UK back then. I remember GK, Marshall, SWR, Peavey, DigiTech, Ampeg. Possibly Trace Elliot? Mark Bass?

(It's been a while...!)

Mark Bass was a lot later than the 80s (founded 2001, popular a bit later). And with that list I think you are thinking of bass amps rather than dedicated preamp units (though some makes did do preamp ranges).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by sonics »

I thought Mark Bass was later, hence the question mark. But DI from the amp heads was standard practice, in effect using the preamp section of the heads. We didn't mic cabs a lot for bass. Not many people had the SansAmp in the UK.
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1634 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Amp heads? What this more common then going straight to the line input on the console?

Thanks
heavenorlasvegas
Regular

Post by James Perrett »

heavenorlasvegas wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:31 am Amp heads? What this more common then going straight to the line input on the console?

Trace Elliot seemed to come up with the idea of having a DI output on the amp head (or at least they were the first amps that I saw it on). Whenever I recorded a bass player I would always use the DI output on the amp head if it had one in an attempt to preserve the bass player's sound. I would sometimes put a mic on the cabinet too if they wanted a grungier sound. If there was no DI on the amp I would use a DI box direct from the bass.

I don't think we ever had a bass player with a separate preamp - although we weren't in the higher echelons of the recording business.
James Perrett
Posts: 14353 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page