Splitting transient and sustain

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Splitting transient and sustain

Post by TomChimera »

Hi,

I saw the video of Wavesfactory Introduction to Quantum, which allows splitting the transients and sustains and applying different effects to them.

I always wanted to do that, but using different plugins as effects.

Do you know if its possible or a plugin to split audio to 2 channels?
Preferably that the two split signals would null against the original one...
So I can trust the splitting doesn't alter the sound before applying effects.

(Now that I think of it I need to try with with their demo version if putting the Quantum on two channels, one with "Solo" on transients' and the other with "Solo" on Sustain works..)

But anyway I would love to know what are my option of doing such thing without altering the sound?

Thank you for your help!

Tom
TomChimera
Poster

Re: Splitting transient and sustain

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I doubt anything would give you a perfect null but most transient designers would give it a decent shot. It's not something I've ever used but I'm sure some smarter brains will be along shortly with their experience.
And if not, just download some demos and give it a go.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24582 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by TomChimera »

Thanks, yes i'm planning to start a demo spree searching for a one that nulls.
I thought in all the experience around here there will be knowledge of how to do it, maybe even manually..

(Sorry for my English btw)
TomChimera
Poster

Post by Sam Inglis »

This used to be possible with Eiosis E2 Transienter but unfortunately it seems to have been discontinued.

The Wavesfactory plug-in sounds like an, er, homage to Eventide's Physion, so that would be worth investigating too. I think you could probably duplicate the track and set that up so one instance solos the transients and the other the sustains.
Sam Inglis

Post by Martin Walker »

As it happens, I've only just a few minutes ago bought Boz Digital Labs' Transgressor2 (from the new SOS Music Tools service, at a massive 80% Off Until 12 Noon GMT 28th October - check it out here https://www.sosmusictools.com/product/b ... gressor-2/)

It should be able to do the job, as from running the trial version I found it can isolate the transient from the sustain portion very neatly, and although it can't send them to different audio outputs you could with suitable routing certainly run two instances of it in parallel, and then disable the sustain portion on one to treat just the transient with further plug-in FX, and disable the transient portion on the other to treat the sustain portion separately.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by TomChimera »

Thank you for your recommendations! I will try them soon. I haven't had time yet to try the trial version of anything. I will write the results of the tests.
TomChimera
Poster