Ways to stave off Fatigue in our own music

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Ways to stave off Fatigue in our own music

Post by RichardT »

I sometimes feel a sense of fatigue when I’m faced by big problems with a track, or even small problems that I don’t know how to fix.

What works for me is to break problems into smaller pieces, if that’s possible, and then tackle the easiest problems first, and build up to the difficult ones.

Somehow the difficult problems get simpler when the easy ones are fixed.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4191 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by James Perrett »

Arpangel wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:51 am I need acoustic power today, not electronics, I need to hit something, blow something, drums, percussion, brass, you can’t beat the power of an acoustic instrument, also a guitar through an amp up full,

A few years ago I went on a course which ended up being very intense. At the end of one of the days there were some percussion instruments left out around the room. One of them was a djembe. I had never played one before but I picked it up and started tapping out a rhythm. One of the other participants (who was also a drummer) picked up some bongos and started playing along. Other people started to join in so that, after about 15 minutes the whole room was engulfed with people banging, shaking and scraping whatever they could. It was an amazing cathartic experience.

Nowadays I make sure that I have some percussion instruments around - just in case.
James Perrett
Posts: 14379 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by OneWorld »

RichardT wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:06 am I sometimes feel a sense of fatigue when I’m faced by big problems with a track, or even small problems that I don’t know how to fix.

What works for me is to break problems into smaller pieces, if that’s possible, and then tackle the easiest problems first, and build up to the difficult ones.

Somehow the difficult problems get simpler when the easy ones are fixed.

"Look after the pennies and the £pounds look after themselves" same principle. Or in computer science and the topics regarding coding, we 'atomise' a problem, break it down to its constituent parts and deal with things as discrete objects, then join the bits up
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

James Perrett wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:15 pm
Arpangel wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:51 am I need acoustic power today, not electronics, I need to hit something, blow something, drums, percussion, brass, you can’t beat the power of an acoustic instrument, also a guitar through an amp up full,

A few years ago I went on a course which ended up being very intense. At the end of one of the days there were some percussion instruments left out around the room. One of them was a djembe. I had never played one before but I picked it up and started tapping out a rhythm. One of the other participants (who was also a drummer) picked up some bongos and started playing along. Other people started to join in so that, after about 15 minutes the whole room was engulfed with people banging, shaking and scraping whatever they could. It was an amazing cathartic experience.

Nowadays I make sure that I have some percussion instruments around - just in case.

Yes, it’s very cathartic, I need to build up a percussion box, a drum kit would be good too.
I love playing the drums, I love getting into a groove, I miss it a lot, there’s nothing like the feeling of playing a groove, and someone else, bass, joining in, then others, the only thing that comes close is singing harmony in a choir.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Folderol »

I have no idea what triggers inspiration for me, and don't want to try to examine it too closely. I don't have deadlines to meet and it comes when it wants to. As a result I don't have a specific workflow either - just the ability to switch everything on quickly so I can start playing as soon as possible.
There are just a handful that were complete as soon as I hit 'stop', others that I added extra layers of accompaniment/harmonies to, and those that I did extensive editing on. It's all whatever seems 'right' at the time.

P.S.
Forgot to mention 'the time' can be anything from 5 minutes to 20+ years :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18215 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by tea for two »

Folderol wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:35 pm
P.S.
Forgot to mention 'the time' can be anything from 5 minutes to 20+ years :lol:

Sounds as me :lol:
I've recently finished a few pieces I started around 2004 2005.

Actually this has helped stave off fatigue in those pieces.
Becuase I finished them, I no longer revisit them to keep plugging away at them.

So I would add to the list :
Completing pieces so that we don't return to them time and again.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by tea for two »

It is important I feel to have some sillyness in some music we compose just as it is important to laugh.
To me this helps stave off fatigue.

I have some haha silly tracks. Also some candy floss tracks.
Because there's a silly billy numpty part of me lol also because it gets too heavy for me to always make something meaningful which gets fatiguing for me.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by RichardT »

tea for two wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:05 pm It is important I feel to have some sillyness in some music we compose just as it is important to laugh.
To me this helps stave off fatigue.

I have some haha silly tracks. Also some candy floss tracks.
Because there's a silly billy numpty part of me lol also because it gets too heavy for me to always make something meaningful which gets fatiguing for me.

Yes, I agree!
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4191 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by OneWorld »

I don't overthink things and just stop. I wouldn't bother making lists though. if I had the inclination I'd do what Ed Sheeran pledged to do, and did do, and that was write a new tune each day.

I think Dolly Parton did something much the same and has over 1000 tunes to her name. She says only a handful are anything special, but seeing as a couple of them made her a millionaire, she ain't complaining. What a gal!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by NickDawes »

One of the ways I like to freshen things up is just by using different DAW's, especially if I've never used them before. With a different workflow and a limited knowledge of the set up, it can force me down different paths and get me out of my comfort zone.
NickDawes
New here
Posts: 6 Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:00 am Location: Nice, France

Post by forumuser940434 »

blinddrew wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:56 am I find having a day job pretty effective in stopping me getting any fatigue in creating music! ;)
More seriously, but in the same vein, having other pastimes is key for me.

Yes for me thats also nr #1 something completely different.
forumuser940434

Post by tea for two »

OneWorld wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:42 pm I think Dolly Parton did something much the same and has over 1000 tunes to her name. She says only a handful are anything special, but seeing as a couple of them made her a millionaire, she ain't complaining. What a gal!

I adore Dolly Parton.
Isn't that just it : it's natural as a creative person to just create whilst the mojo is with us.
(Once mojo gone, fatigue can set in).

::

NickDawes wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:18 am One of the ways I like to freshen things up is just by using different DAW's, especially if I've never used them before. With a different workflow and a limited knowledge of the set up, it can force me down different paths and get me out of my comfort zone.

This is actually practical in these days.
Well worth exploring.
Also pretty straightforward to do nowadays esp with Lite versions also ios daw's that are relatively affordable.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by tea for two »

Having alter ego/egos.
Composing stuff as our alter ego/egos.

::

JmJarre article in this months SoS.
JmJ saying
"Assembling sounds that have nothing to do with each other."
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by tea for two »

Making : forget about your worries music.

(To even out any navel gazing, shoe gazing, music we might make).
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by tea for two »

Don't give a flying f about trying to make music that others might get, others might connect with, others might want to listen to.

Just make the darn thing and to hell with it.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by tea for two »

Making our own take that steps away from convention.

If say we are making a Blues, Folk, Rock track : keeping a couple of times as convention, our vocal the main instrument, the rest stepping away from convention.

For instance I have Folky tracks, where the main instrument melody tune sounds Folky. The rest, the accompaniment has very little to do with Folk.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by Guest »

There is only one way I work on multiple songs at once: I want to record my vocals, and I don't want to do that if my wife or daughter are at home: I would feel very self-conscious and don't want to bother them. Then I'd allow myself to start another song. Otherwise, I feel I'd have a tougher time completing a given song, which takes me roughly a month. But different strategies work for different people. I probably spend roughly 10 hours a week working on my original songs. If I did much more than that I might burn out.

Post by Sam Inglis »

Interesting discussion!

If I have anything to add it's that, from my own experience, there's ultimately very little connection between how I feel about something as I'm working on it and how I feel about it in the long term. Many times when I've felt inspired or excited during the creative process, the cold light of day has shown up the results quite badly. And many times when the creative process has felt like a tedious slog, the results have held up quite well.
Sam Inglis

Post by OneWorld »

And to think that Paul MacCartney wrote some of the world's most remarkable tunes in a day, or Ed Sheeran, when he started out committed himself to writing a song a day, or Dolly Parton who said "I wrote over 2000 songs and 99% are garbage, but one of the other 1% made me a millionaire, what's wrong with that"

I think it was her that said "You know, I realised the harder I worked, the luckier I got"

I guess people such as those mentioned above are just of a different league to the rest of us - who else could come up with a single word 'Yesterday' 'Michelle' 'Jolene' 'Imagine' etc etc etc and box the job off and have the tune oven ready in a day or so. I just the pragmatism and matter of fact perspective the stars have.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by GilesAnt »

OneWorld wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:52 am
I think it was her that said "You know, I realised the harder I worked, the luckier I got"

It was the golfer Gary Player...though to be fair a lot of people have been credited with that line
GilesAnt
Regular