Logic Pro 10.7 is out

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Logic Pro 10.7 is out

Post by muzines »

Featuring spacial audio, and lots more small stuff you can read in the release notes, including some big longtime improvements - how about separate MIDI In *and* Out ports/channels in the track inspector? Looks like those MIDI bottleneck days might be over..!

Release notes:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203718

Requires Big Sur minimum.
User avatar
muzines
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11573 Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:00 am
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Re: Logic Pro 10.7 is out

Post by MarkOne »

desmond wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:04 pm ...separate MIDI In *and* Out ports/channels in the track inspector? ...

I think I just heard Handel's Hallelujah chorus playing somewhere in my studio (or was it my head?)

The step sequencer improvements (although quite minor) look quite nice too.

I also like the idea of trying out spacial audio mixing in headphones. I'd be interested in how I could then play it back on my 5.1 lounge system
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1662 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Re: Logic Pro 10.7 is out

Post by IAA »

Yes it certainly looks good, particularly the Dolby Atmos stuff. I’m on Catalina for now and likely for a bit longer I suspect!

Nice to hear from you Desmond!
IAA
Frequent Poster
Posts: 990 Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:00 am

Re: Logic Pro 10.7 is out

Post by Humble Bee »

Looks to be useful upgrades this time around!

And it’s great to see you around here Desmond! Hope all is well with you!

:thumbup:
User avatar
Humble Bee
Regular
Posts: 395 Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:00 am Location: Cloughton Newlands

Re: Logic Pro 10.7 is out

Post by redlester »

Lots of great updates, looks really good.

And yet my personally most desired revision is still not implemented.... we still can't have white, black or shades of grey for track/region colours! :protest:
redlester
Regular
Posts: 232 Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:50 pm Location: East Midlands, UK

Re: Logic Pro 10.7 is out

Post by Kevin Nolan »

desmond wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:04 pm - how about separate MIDI In *and* Out ports/channels in the track inspector? Looks like those MIDI bottleneck days might be over..!

Release notes:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203718

Requires Big Sur minimum.

Hallelujah!
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster
Posts: 831 Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Logic Pro 10.7 is out

Post by rACed2 »

Kevin Nolan wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:02 am
desmond wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:04 pm - how about separate MIDI In *and* Out ports/channels in the track inspector? Looks like those MIDI bottleneck days might be over..!

Release notes:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203718

Requires Big Sur minimum.

Hallelujah!

Great. Now to work it out :-)
User avatar
rACed2
Regular
Posts: 159 Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:00 am
Organ, synth’s x2 Not enough time or talent.

Re: Logic Pro 10.7 is out

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Even more important than a new version of Logic: welcome back Desmond!

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11253 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley
Recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Our NHS is not a failing organisation, it's a precious resource and worth fighting for.

Re: Logic Pro 10.7 is out

Post by Luke W »

ConcertinaChap wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:18 am Even more important than a new version of Logic: welcome back Desmond!

CC

:thumbup:

If anything was going to do it, it was going to be a Logic release :lol:
User avatar
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1316 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Re: Logic Pro 10.7 is out

Post by ChrisCarter »

This is a great update but… it wiped out all my many, many laboriously entered I/O Labels - WTF! And there’s still no way to back them up. Although I do prefer the new white bg colour for the Logic system prefs.
User avatar
ChrisCarter
Regular
Posts: 50 Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 12:00 am Location: Usually in the studio, sometimes on the road...
Twitter | Website | iTunes

Re: Logic Pro 10.7 is out

Post by Kevin Nolan »

Kevin Nolan wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:02 am
desmond wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:04 pm - how about separate MIDI In *and* Out ports/channels in the track inspector? Looks like those MIDI bottleneck days might be over..!

Release notes:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203718

Requires Big Sur minimum.

Hallelujah!


Actually - guys - I'm personally taking FULL credit for this MIDI ports and channel update.

I'm actually serious.

I am - the ONLY person - and I mean - the ONLY person who has been flagging this issue globally.

I flagged it here multiple times; I flagged it repeatedly on EVERY Logic Forum there is - including on the likes of Facebook - repeatedly and persistently for 18 years.

I've submitted this feature request as an update on the Apple Logic online form - every year - since 2003 - and in all that time - not one single person has agreed with me - not even Desmond here!

Nobody has given an iota of a toss about this massive and persistent issue - except me - globally!

So, among the 7.8 billion people on the planet - on this singular instance - I have been the only person to persistently call for this feature. In recent years I highlighted that Logic was worse than a 1989 ATARI computer with regard to MIDI live recording (where it had 32 channel input) - and - highlighted to Apple - over and over - the need for such an update in the face of a plethora of new MIDI and polyphonic-voice-architecture synthesisers and synthesiser plugins!

So - if Apple were listening to the field - that field was: me - and absolutely nobody else!

I'm deadly serious about this - and I'm saying it simply because not a single other person _ever_ agreed with my stance on this - and I was left, singularly to raise the issue on forum after forum; and indeed, repeatedly, year after year, directly with Apple themselves!
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster
Posts: 831 Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:00 am
Kevin Nolan,KNECT.
http://www.knect.ie

Re: Logic Pro 10.7 is out

Post by muzines »

Kevin Nolan wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:49 pm Actually - guys - I'm personally taking FULL credit for this MIDI ports and channel update.

I'm actually serious.

Really? This has been a constantly requested issue since Notator Logic 1.x. I was there online in the *only* Logic group back in Logic 1.x days, along with the developers, and helped shape it in those early days and have been in the main Logic user groups online for nearly 30 years, including being a top contributor on the Apple discussion groups, and Logic Pro Help and others. I don't remember you there in those early days, but yes, this MIDI bottleneck issue was raised *even back then*, as it has been continually raised by the people affected by it stumbling across this limitation.

I have had *many* discussions about this with people over the years. (I'd wager I have put in thousands of hours, if not tens of thousands of hours, helping people online with Logic, so I think I'm in a pretty good position to get a feel for what people want, and the problems/issues they face over the decades with Logic.) You are not the only person affected by this issue, although it has to be said that it was raised by more people back in the earlier days when Logic was only a MIDI sequencer, and almost all users had quite a lot of hardware (no virtual synths or plugins in those days).

And as more and more people shifted into the box with virtual instruments, the requests for this feature have (from what I've seen) died down a bit because fewer people are only using roomfulls of hardware, and more are using plugins - but it still, as we have discussed here, bites people who want to work in a particular way with lots of realtime hardware MIDI recording at once - which is on the increase again these days due to the proliferation of small, cheaper boxes with USB cables all creating virtual MIDI ports.

Kevin Nolan wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:49 pmI am - the ONLY person - and I mean - the ONLY person who has been flagging this issue globally.

Sorry, but that is not even close to being true. It's a big world out there.

Kevin Nolan wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:49 pmI flagged it here multiple times; I flagged it repeatedly on EVERY Logic Forum there is - including on the likes of Facebook - repeatedly and persistently for 18 years.

As have *many* other people. This has not been an uncommon, or rare, feature request. In fact, when I saw that item listed in the 10.7 update notes and highlighted that, and a couple of other fixes on LogicProHelp, David (LPH admin) said: "Wow, those are HUGE!"

That doesn't seem the right response for a fix for one small issue that only one guy was bothered about, does it? Like me, he's well aware of the issue, and the people affected by it over the years.

Kevin Nolan wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:49 pmnot one single person has agreed with me - not even Desmond here!

Now this is a blatant falsehood and I take issue at this. I am well aware of this issue, and I am well aware, and have always admitted that for the people affected by it, it is a serious limitation that really could do with being solved. (If I wasn't aware of this, or didn't think it was a big deal for some people, why would I specifically call out this improvement in the first post above?)

I also said this limitation doesn't affect me personally, because I don't work that way, but to say I don't agree that it's a limitation or a serious problem for some workflows, including yours, it's just absolutely a falsehood and I take issue at that.

I'm not going to waste the effort to quote our earlier discussions, but if the take away from you was that I didn't agree it was a problem for you, then you are just not reading what I write. I usually try to be pretty clear, but it's not the first time you've completely misunderstood me, or taken my words to mean something contrary to what I actually wrote. This kind of revisionist history of me to suit your point makes me rather angry, to be honest.

But yes, by all means, if you prefer to choose to believe you were the only one that submitted this feature request to Apple, take credit for what you want.
User avatar
muzines
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11573 Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:00 am
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion
Post Reply