The least musical but most impressive synth demo I've seen in a while

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The least musical but most impressive synth demo I've seen in a while

Post by BWC »

I sent the link to a good friend who replied, "...sounds like a big bore race bike."
BWC
Regular
Posts: 475 Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:12 am Location: FL, US
BWC

Post by Arpangel »

Sounds a bit too electronic, if I didn’t know I’d probably guess.
Doesn’t sound organic enough, the gear changes sound too synthetic, that’s where it shows up most.
Should be able to do this with any good wide ranging oscillators, filters, in modular the challenge is to produce anything that "doesn’t" sound like an engine, or toilet activities :D
Good though, full marks.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Eddy Deegan wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:54 pm "C'était un rendez-vous" is a classic - I first saw it years ago and it stands up well today.

It was and is... although I think the obviously dubbed-on tyre squeals let it down. (Why would the tyres squeal when he's driving at constant speed, in a straight line, through every red light?)
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Kayvon »

I've recently got into engines and finding inline fours humdrum the Yamaha R1 crossplane crank inline 4 cylinder has an interesting firing interval. Instead of evenly spaced power strokes it displaces the firing of the second two consecutive cylinders (actually cylinders 2 and 4 and effectively the 3rd and the 4th cylinder switch places in the 720 degrees of crank rotation). So basically it ends up creating a little 2/4 bell pattern.

I plugged said pattern into my keyboard with a cowbell, wound up the tempo and hey presto, the same offbeat tone as the Yamaha YZF R1 big bang four cylinder!

Here's an official Yamaha video that does it differently. Kind of obfuscates what plainly happens with the hi hats and snares etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEXUrO5wYcE&t=58s

Cool that Yamaha are the one of the companies that car manufacturers go to when they need some engine wizardry. Even the Americans and Swedes (Ford & Volvo) have used them. I think it's down to the knowhow they learnt when trying to intone the bass notes on the CP80 :lol:
Kayvon
Regular

Post by t-sun »

Don't forget the first example, the Toyota 2000GT from the 60s (and that Bond movie). They worked on the engine and the dash inlays were from the piano division :thumbup:
t-sun
Regular

Post by Kayvon »

Yes of course :thumbup:

I drive a GT86 that has a couple of 2000GT design flourishes. But two cylinders less under the bonnet ¦-/
Kayvon
Regular