TS in TRS Output

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

TS in TRS Output

Post by dannyrhodes »

Hi All,

I have a patch panel that is connected to my audio interface.
The Audio interface has balanced TRS outputs that are connected to my patch panel, then the output from the patch panel connects to my speakers which at the moment have balanced inputs on the speakers, so all good.

However, I am getting some new speakers (iLoud Micro Monitors) and they have an RCA input only. Can I put a TS jack into the TRS output from the patch panel for my speakers? I've had a look online but can't seem to get an answer. Yes or no?!

Thanks in advance.
dannyrhodes

Re: TS in TRS Output

Post by James Perrett »

What audio interface are you using?

Most will be fine with the cold output shorted to ground but there are one or two balanced outputs that wouldn't like it.
James Perrett
Posts: 14379 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by dannyrhodes »

James Perrett wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:25 pm What audio interface are you using?

Most will be fine with the cold output shorted to ground but there are one or two balanced outputs that wouldn't like it.

It's the UAD Apollo Solo USB. I've had a quick look at the manual and it say's this. 'The main outputs are line level. Connect the main outputs to the line level inputs of powered monitors or an amplifier+speaker system. Balanced TRS or unbalanced TS cables with ¼" plugs may be used.'

I know I could connect straight into the back of the interface, but i'd rather keep it connected via the patch panel.
dannyrhodes

Post by Sam Spoons »

Going via the patchbay should be exactly the same as using a single cable so you'll almost certainly be fine. Even if it does cause issues they will not damage anything, the most likely problem would be hum or noise but if the patchbay is in good order and correctly wired (TS or TRS) it should work fine.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19731 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by James Perrett »

dannyrhodes wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:30 pm It's the UAD Apollo Solo USB. I've had a quick look at the manual and it say's this. 'The main outputs are line level. Connect the main outputs to the line level inputs of powered monitors or an amplifier+speaker system. Balanced TRS or unbalanced TS cables with ¼" plugs may be used.'

You'll be fine using a TS cable from the patchbay.
James Perrett
Posts: 14379 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by dannyrhodes »

Thanks for the quick replies. Really helpful :)
dannyrhodes