Zooming in issues

Report bugs & errors with the SOS forums, and web site. Please check existing discussions before posting.

Moderator: Moderators

Zooming in issues

Post by shufflebeat »

Apologies if this has been raised already but a search for Zoom Issues just brings up online chatting stuff.

On the phone if I'm on full page the text is microscopic, so far so normal. If I un-pinch to zoom the view goes back to the top of the page, wherever I previously was. Now I need to scroll down and try to find where I was and, as a result of my zooming, that can be a lot of scrolling. If I decide it's still not big enough or I've gone too far so I have only one word per line I have to re-zoom and I'm back at the top of the page again.

Except...

If I do this at the bottom of the page the view seems to default to the left margin rather than the top, which is less of an issue but still not ideal.

Any ideas?
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9102 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Re: Zooming in issues

Post by Forum Admin »

Hi Shufflebeat

To what are you referring here? SOS web pages... the SOS app... or any website on your phone?

When on some sites I simply double-tap the page where I am and it returns to default view.

Does your phone browser permit Reader view? If it does that's a good way to read articles and it usually includes font size up/down increments.
Forum Admin
Posts: 4290 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Search 16,966 SOS Reviews+Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Podcasts

Post by shufflebeat »

Cheers F/A.

The issue is with the forum itself and as far as I can work out is new since the recent restructuring.

The mag site seems to be behaving as normal and expected.

I wouldn't usually read mag articles on the phone, I use the app on iPad for that, no issues noticed there.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Forum Admin »

If you use your phone frequently for reading/replying on SOS Forum then it might be worth you installing the Tapatalk app - I use it and so does The Elf and others. TBH it is a much friendlier GUI as it is dedicated to Forums.

Try it?

I'm a little puzzled what you mean by "if I'm on full page the text is microscopic" - please give more detail here. In Portrait view on a phone the Forum uses the Mobile style sheet, but in Landscape it uses Desktop styling, which would show text very small.

I've just tried the Forum on my iPhone XR (in Portrait view) and it's readable to me without any zooming. But I can zoom in/out directly wherever I start and that's where it returns to unless I scroll down while zoomed in -- so I am guessing you are not using an Apple phone? Android phones may exhibit different experiences.
Forum Admin
Posts: 4290 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SOS Podcasts

Post by shufflebeat »

Yup, Android on a Moto g7 - Opera.

I don't want to add another layer of data-harvesters to my comms so will persevere. Some days it's the only exercise I'm getting.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster

Post by James Perrett »

Just tried on a Nokia 5.1 running Android 10 and Chrome and it appears as expected. No problem with zooming although zooming isn't needed in portrait mode as the text is a sensible size. In landscape mode a slight zoom helps but it works as expected for me.

I used to use Opera all the time but stopped when more and more websites (including SOS) seemed to give problems and Opera seemed slower and slower. I tried Dolphin for a while which was better but Chrome seems to work perfectly well on my newer phones so I stick with it.
James Perrett
Posts: 14354 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by shufflebeat »

Just tried Chrome and it's not too bad. Doesn't suffer from the "default to top of page" issue and text can be adjusted so humans can see it as well as the hawks.

On the down side I can't find any capacity for "wrap text" when zooming which is something I've come to like on Opera. I'll have a good nosey tomorrow and see, thanks for the suggestion, J and thanks F/A for the support support (that's your initials, by the way, not an angry abbreviated expletive, just to be clear).
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster

Post by Forum Admin »

shufflebeat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:18 am ... thanks F/A for the support support (that's your initials, by the way, not an angry abbreviated expletive, just to be clear).

Sweet. ;-):-)
Forum Admin
SOS Podcasts

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

shufflebeat wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:33 pm Yup, Android on a Moto g7 - Opera.

It sounds like an Opera problem. I'm Android on a Samsung Galaxy S9 and the SOS site works entirely as expected on both Samsung's own browser and on Chrome. In both cases opening either the forum or articles provides a good, legible size of text, and moving around doesn't induce any leaps to the top of the page.

I wonder if Opera is reloading for zoom changes and getting dragged back to the top by an ad loading or something?
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38984 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual...