Live session today, microphones.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Live session today, microphones.

Post by Arpangel »

Major change of tack today after the last, dismal live session.
I remember what Hugh said "that’s what technical rehearsals are for" and we will, at my insistence.
But we are recording in the same room, again, no choice, last time I used an M+S pair, the results weren’t good, so this time I’m going to close-mic, with a couple of ribbons, in mono, on each instrument, using the null of each mic to give a bit of separation, there will be bleed, but hopefully, not as much as last time, I’ll report back later.
Not sure on instrumentation today, could be accordion again, I’m flying by my coat tails and using my full modular system, that should be "fun" so this morning will be spent patching, trying to come up with something vaguely usable.
The mood today is that I don’t care, whatever happens will happen, it’s the only way to go.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Live session today, microphones.

Post by Bob Bickerton »

Arpangel wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:13 am The mood today is that I don’t care, whatever happens will happen, it’s the only way to go.

Hmmm….. I always care, I make things happen, I believe that is the only way to go……. Good luck anyway, you’ll need it!

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5090 Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:00 am Location: Nelson, New Zealand

Post by Arpangel »

Bob Bickerton wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:55 am
Arpangel wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:13 am The mood today is that I don’t care, whatever happens will happen, it’s the only way to go.

Hmmm….. I always care, I make things happen, I believe that is the only way to go……. Good luck anyway, you’ll need it!

Bob

My strategy worked, it was a good session, understatement.
We weren’t expecting anything, but it just came together.
The modular was a good choice, it performed how I thought it would, regarding how it worked in our music, and my patching came together very quickly, just based around two modules, a Noise Swash, and Rings, heavily filtered, with a Microgranny going into the modular as well.
I was spaced out on pain killers, for my legs, as I can hardly walk at the moment, and that gave the whole session a strange vibe.
We did three ten minute pieces, all in one take, improvised, the music was a radical departure from what we’ve done so far, so that was that refreshing.
Normally we are unsure about certain sections, that may need editing, but no editing needed, they just flowed as complete pieces.
The mic’s worked as expected, the accordion sounded good and I had a lot of control over separation, the M160 ribbons worked/well, I angled them so that they rejected the opposite instruments spill.
We'd like to perform this music live, my friend commented that the visual aspect of the modular, and his accordion, would be good, not knowing exactly what to expect.
My friend bought an accordion pick-up, we didn’t use it yesterday as things were sounding fine as they were, but we’re going to give it a go next time.
A great session, one of the most enjoyable and totally unexpected.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Excellent! :thumbup:

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12954 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Post by Arpangel »

ConcertinaChap wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:40 pm Excellent! :thumbup:

CC

Thanks CC, I’m looking forward to trying the accordion pick-up next time, should give better separation, as long as the sound is OK.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by forumuser915213 »

Hurrah!

You know what? Your success is encouraging!

Gavin
forumuser915213
Regular
Posts: 143 Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:08 pm Location: Kent

Post by Arpangel »

forumuser915213 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:38 pm Hurrah!

You know what? Your success is encouraging!

Gavin

It’s actually quite amazing, how we muddle through sometimes, and if the music is deemed a success, equipment issues, past or present, no longer seem significant.
For the first time, since covid, I’m packing today, got to decide what gear to take, I’m reuniting with an old collaborator, to do some recording.
It’s exciting, he lives a long way from me, it’s like going to a gig again, we’ve booked a hotel and are making a little holiday out of it.
Difficult deciding what to take, the modular is looking good.

:thumbup:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster