Installing and Running PLUGINS from SSD

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Installing and Running PLUGINS from SSD

Post by Gazetka »

Hello everyone!
I will eventually upgrade my laptop, because its getting really old and slow, but meanwhile Im using a ton of plugins and plan to grab some more during new years sale. Ive been wondering If i can install and run my VSTS from SSD, so when i get new PC i wont have to reinstall them one by one, which would be such a pain in the neck!

If thats not possible, How do you deal with moving to new PC and synchrinizing your PLUGINs and tools?

Thank you!
Gazetka
Poster

Re: Installing and Running PLUGINS from SSD

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Following the advice of folks here, i made a spreadsheet of the plugins, their locations, any authorisation files, and any instructions from the manufacturer about transferring licences. I wrote to any that didn't have instructions on their websites and they pretty much all replied with appropriate help.
Took a bit of time, but less than trying to fix a problem afterwards.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Moroccomoose »

For the purpose of managing plugin installs, vst and vstis etc fall into two categories.... Those which have only a single dll file, and those which have some supporting file structure (eg sample files or what ever)

The ones which are a single simple dll files can just he moved to anywhere at your convenience and just make sure the file path in you vst set up can find them and they will work. No 're-install required '

The latter, those that have some supporting file structure will need to be re-installed. These are typically any vst/vsti which calls upon some kind of library, often samples, but can be other things.

A review of you program files directory will usually give you a clue as to which ones have library files and therefore require a re-install.

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular
Posts: 466 Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:00 am Location: Leicester

Post by Gazetka »

Thank you so much for kindly explaning!
Ill do a list of licensing and movable/unmovable vsts then :)
Gazetka
Poster