Monitor stands.

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Monitor stands.

Post by Guest »

So, currently on my desk I have 3 wooden 4u racks running along the back, my genelec 8030s are on top of this, on tiles on top of some auralex foam.

I have been meaning to get rid of these racks for a while and have an under desk rack unit to move things into, this reorg is about 18 months late now.

I am now having to do this as my MacPro died and I now have an iMac, which when placed on the racks is far to high, damn it.

So what’s the best way of getting these monitors up to the right height off of the desk?

Re: Monitor stands.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38981 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Bob Bickerton »

Second the isoacoustics, they look a bit weird, but work a treat.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5088 Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:00 am Location: Nelson, New Zealand

Post by Drew Stephenson »

And a third from me.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24577 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by IAA »

.....and if you need it...a fourth!
IAA
Frequent Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

And now, from me, something completely different!

Once you've removed those 4u racks from your desk your stereo imaging should be significantly better (I did the same, and it was ;) )

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Guest »

Thanks guys.

I do like it when there is unanimous advice :)

Post by Arpangel »

Being the resident cheapskate when it comes to stuff like this, I’ve got these,

https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-a ... gI86fD_BwE

They work fine, and have a wide range of adjustment.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

:lolno:
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Post by James Perrett »

In the home setup my speakers are currently sitting on a pair of these

http://seventiesstereo.blogspot.com/201 ... akers.html

They're very weighty but I really need something taller. Unfortunately the Isoacoustics stands don't go tall enough to get rid of the desk reflections that seem to be exacerbating the lower mid tubbiness with my monitors.
James Perrett
Posts: 14354 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by FrankF »

Greetings, fellow cheapskate(s).
I have the "significantly cheaper than freedom fries" Adam Hall foam pads nestled under my Kef Codas, so I would be interested in an upgrade, assuming I could hear the difference (that's assuming quite a lot).

I noticed that there are several similar but cheaper products than the Isoacoustics (£70, "hardened plastic"), e.g. the Fluid Audio (£50, MDF and plastic) and SubZero models (£30, steel tubes, plastic supports).

I'm wondering if SOS has done a comparison review of various models (as above), but also comparing different materials (as above), and different approaches, i.e. foam / hollow stands / metal plates (à la Arpangel).
You could call the article "How to Isolate your Speakers at Home During the Next Lockdown", or summat. :bouncy:

Also, Hugh, what is wrong with Arp's metal plates? Is it because it's solid metal and doesn't offer much isolation from the desk or table?

Fluid Audio: https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-an ... -Pair/2YIJ

SubZero: https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-an ... -Pair/3IQM
FrankF
Regular
Posts: 451 Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:00 am Location: La Vendée, France

Post by FrankF »

James Perrett wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:33 pm In the home setup my speakers are currently sitting on a pair of these

Is that the right link? I can't see any stands. I can't stand not seeing them!
FrankF
Regular

Post by James Perrett »

FrankF wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:49 pm
James Perrett wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:33 pm In the home setup my speakers are currently sitting on a pair of these

Is that the right link? I can't see any stands. I can't stand not seeing them!

Yes that's the right link - I just have my LS3/5a monitors sitting on the LM1's.

Actually another thought occurred to me. I remember a Paul White article describing home made monitor stands made from sand filled drain pipes. That might be a good way to obtain the exact height needed.
James Perrett
Posts: 14354 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by FrankF »

Oh, alright, got it.
Well, why not? And ditto for Paul White's DIY solution.
FrankF
Regular

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

FrankF wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:42 pmI'm wondering if SOS has done a comparison review...

No, although it would be an interesting one to try.

At the end of the day, all the stand is trying to do is raise the speaker to the appropriate height, hold it stable in space, and minimise the transmission of vibrations into the desk surface.

There are several ways of achieving those goals with quite different approaches. The cheapest is to use lots of mass (relative to the speaker mass) -- meaning a couple of hefty concrete blocks under each speaker, with some compliant rubber sheet (non-slip kitchen matting is often very effective) between the blocks, the desk, and the speakers (as much to prevent scratching as anything).

What I will say about the Isoacoustics stands is that we were given a bunch to use in Studio SOS visits, and they always noticeably improved the quality of the monitoring, regardless of the the surface construction! That's an impressive success record -- hence my recommendation.

Also, Hugh, what is wrong with Arp's metal plates? Is it because it's solid metal and doesn't offer much isolation from the desk or table?

Partly. There doesn't appear to be any isolation to prevent the passage of vibration other than the thin pads on the top plate.

Technically, a single narrow pole isn't the most stable of structures, either. Yes, they are fairly short but they are also broken in the middle, so movement is a distinct possibility.

And there are lots of things on them to work loose and rattle... which is also less than desirable. So while they are cheap and height adjustment is simple, I wouldn't choose them myself as there seem to me more cons than pros.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:27 pmThere are several ways of achieving those goals with quite different approaches. The cheapest is to use lots of mass (relative to the speaker mass) -- meaning a couple of hefty concrete blocks under each speaker, with some compliant rubber sheet (non-slip kitchen matting is often very effective) between the blocks, the desk, and the speakers (as much to prevent scratching as anything).

I used two stacks of bricks, with layers of felt rather than rubber for years until VDU placing meant I couldn't any longer. Very cheap{skate} and to my ears (probably not the world's most reliable) works fine.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12934 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all