Audio Interface Recommendations - iOS (MacBook Pro & iPad)

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Audio Interface Recommendations - iOS (MacBook Pro & iPad)

Post by Audio Carnivore »

Hi there,

I'm planning on buying a new audio interface in the next few months. Mostly I'll be using it for recording guitars, keys and vocals. My home studio setup isn't anything elaborate - I have a guitar amp and a Shure SM57 mic, all pretty basic. Really, I just want to be able to record basic tracks for demo purposes.

My Apple technology is a MacBook Pro (purchased last year) with four Thunderbolt 3 ports and also an iPad.

I've been out of the habit of recording for a while so I'm not sure what interfaces are best suited for the kind of recording I want to do. Any recommendations are appreciated. Budget is in the region of €600
Audio Carnivore

Re: Audio Interface Recommendations - iOS (MacBook Pro & iPad)

Post by James Perrett »

For that kind of budget I'd be thinking about an RME Babyface. However, the Zoom U44 that I use is intended for use with tablets and it has its own battery compartment so that it doesn't need to use the iPad's battery. The downside with the Zoom is that the mic preamps aren't the quietest (though still usable for most things) and the drivers aren't as good as RME's.
James Perrett
Posts: 14353 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Audio Carnivore »

Thank you, I hadn't heard of that product before but I'll do some investigation.

Would anyone recommend this? It's quite a bit cheaper.
Audio Carnivore

Post by Guido3 »

I haven't used that exact model but have used it's bigger brother 18i20 (2nd gen). It was very good.

It all comes down to your budget at the end of the day but you could do a lot worse than the Focusrite.

I use a UAD Apollo Twin X which is lovely. It is quite expensive and you'll spend all your spare cash on UAD plugins!!!!
Guido3
Frequent Poster
Posts: 665 Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Derbyshire
They say you are what you eat but I don't remember eating a f**king legend!

Post by Forum Admin »

Audio Carnivore wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:36 pm I've been out of the habit of recording for a while so I'm not sure what interfaces are best suited for the kind of recording I want to do. Any recommendations are appreciated. Budget is in the region of €600

Worth your while to download the 170-page PDF of the Basics & Beyond eBook if you haven't done so already. Go here to sign up (it's free):

https://sosm.ag/recording-ebook
Forum Admin
Posts: 4290 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Search 16,966 SOS Reviews+Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Podcasts