RIP MarkOne's Alesis Fusion

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: RIP MarkOne's Alesis Fusion

Post by resistorman »

N i g e l wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:32 pm If this was an Alesis Micron I would say it was an output stage failure.
Looking at the service manual for the Fusion it could possibly be similar.

There are transistors which short the output on power up so that there is no click/whumph through your speakers. After power up the transistors disengage and normal service is resumed. If one of the transistors fails, the output will always be shorted to ground and sound from that channel will be muffled/attenuated/distorted.

Useful info, but they did say that there are EFX coming out, just not dry signal.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by N i g e l »

I took to it mean that the EFX signal was comming out as 100% wet rather than dry+EFX mix. The EFX signal would be at a lower level and seem to pass over the mute Transistor ok.
I also had that on my Yamaha hard disk recorder which uses a similar circuit.

I think we need more detailed info from the o/p. Is the output fine when its sent to the aux out instead of the main out ?
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3693 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by Jokeyman123 »

You mention monophonic sound. Way back when Phil Spector re-invented what a song should sound like-he did not record in stereo-he created some of his best works in mono. I know, I have a "Best of Phil Spector" vinyl from I can't even remember when I bought it-and it is all in monophonic sound-and it sounds fantastic, even by today's standards. As nutty as he was, (back then in the late 50s-60s, many people in the music studios carried firearms for protection, he wasn't the only one) he knew how to create a massive, well-defined soundfield for a song.
Jokeyman123

Post by Arpangel »

Don’t get rid of it, its a good bit of kit, I saw one advertised recently, and was tempted myself. Definitely worth repairing.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by MarkOne »

Arpangel wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:15 pm Don’t get rid of it, its a good bit of kit, I saw one advertised recently, and was tempted myself. Definitely worth repairing.

Oh good grief! This is attack of the killer zombies or something! I posted the original thread something like 2 1/2 years ago. Since then we moved home, and downsized my key rig to a tiny shadow of its former self.

Even if I had somewhere to store broken gear (which I absolutely don't) the Fusion is long gone!

You are right Tony. It was massively underrated. It had a fully functional multitimbral sampler, a 3 oscillator VA synth, FM and physical modelling. Lots of routing and modulation options, and in performance mode the option to layer and split (both by region and velocity) freely choosing from any of the sound engines.

You'd actually hate it Tony. (despite the fantastic sound design capability) I know you have deep love for menu diving, and in order to access all these features it really needed lots of menus!

The main reasons for its failure as I've said here before was it was rushed to market with a pretty 'meh' set of factory sounds*, and a sort of unfinished internal design where they shoe-horned in an extra Shark processor but didn't really consider the thermal management or the PSU rating.

*This was rectified by Alesis bringing on Hollow Sun to overhaul the presets. Which Steve did an amazing job of (may he rest in peace).
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2738 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by MarkOne »

I seem to keep hitting the quote and not the edit!

Mods can you delete the duplicates please!
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2738 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by zenguitar »

MarkOne wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:14 pm I seem to keep hitting the quote and not the edit!

Mods can you delete the duplicates please!

All done :thumbup:

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12553 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by Random Guitarist »

Unlike the Fusion, the thread won't die!
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1028 Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:00 am Location: West Sussex UK
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.