Humble request for some mix feedback please :-)

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Humble request for some mix feedback please :-)

Post by Martin Walker »

Hippie162 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:53 am Morning guys,

The Elf has kindly looked over the project and fixed the mix in the process!! :clap:

Feedback welcomed on the track now it has come out of it's little egg;

https://soundcloud.com/user-410433233-5 ... e51c5eae8e

He uses a lot of plug in's that I don't have / can't afford but I am currently going through an exercise of trying to emulate the methods and Elfs notes to get my original mix sounding this good. Once I get my head round it all properly I will set up a template :-)

Thanks again Elf!

Wow!! :shocked:

That mix really pulls the power of your vocal performances out of the shadows Kirsty!

I love the much heavier bass and kick as well (very Madonna 'Ray Of Light'), which also reinforces the rest of the song.

Love it, and am looking forward to hearing your next mix after your Elf Template is refined.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20639 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by BWC »

:clap::clap::clap:

The Elf, your humility is endearing, but your skills are undeniable, and the compliments well deserved. :clap:

Hippie162, I love how well you're taking this all in. I suspect you'll get very good at this stuff, faster than most, because of your open attitude and hunger for understanding. :clap:

blinddrew, If I may ask, what are your delay times on those "depth" tracks, and do you tweak them for each song, or for the space where you imagine each song lives? :clap: for you too; always enjoy your posts.
BWC
Frequent Poster
Posts: 512 Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:12 am Location: FL, US
BWC

Post by Drew Stephenson »

BWC wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:12 amblinddrew, If I may ask, what are your delay times on those "depth" tracks, and do you tweak them for each song, or for the space where you imagine each song lives? :clap: for you too; always enjoy your posts.

It does vary with each track and the reverb space I put things in, but the default starts with an 1/8 note for the front, a 1/16 for the mid, and a 1/32 for the back.
But sometimes I'll do it in m/s if my head's in that space, in which case I'll just picture the distance of the 'band' from the back wall and use 1ms per foot.
So if the drummer is 10' from the back wall (in my head), the drums get a 20ms pre-delay, assuming the guitarists are 10' further in front they'll get another 10ms, and then the vocals get another 10'.
I generally find I need to exaggerate things a bit though so I like to imagine a huge stage and those numbers might double. :)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24645 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Sam Spoons »

So visualising your band squeezed into the corner next to the gents at the Dog & Duck doesn't work so well then? :bouncy:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19731 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Squeezed in the corner? We should be so lucky!
We're out in the car park... ;)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by Sam Spoons »

:D:D:D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19731 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by BWC »

blinddrew wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:36 am
BWC wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:12 amblinddrew, If I may ask, what are your delay times on those "depth" tracks, and do you tweak them for each song, or for the space where you imagine each song lives? :clap: for you too; always enjoy your posts.

It does vary with each track and the reverb space I put things in, but the default starts with an 1/8 note for the front, a 1/16 for the mid, and a 1/32 for the back.
But sometimes I'll do it in m/s if my head's in that space, in which case I'll just picture the distance of the 'band' from the back wall and use 1ms per foot.
So if the drummer is 10' from the back wall (in my head), the drums get a 20ms pre-delay, assuming the guitarists are 10' further in front they'll get another 10ms, and then the vocals get another 10'.
I generally find I need to exaggerate things a bit though so I like to imagine a huge stage and those numbers might double. :)

Very interesting. I like the setup, and am considering setting up something similar. If it's distance to the back wall times two, shouldn't the guitar get another 20ms and the vocal another 20ms beyond that, if everybody's 10' apart? All this accounts for the time needed for the reflections to recombine with the sources, but what about the relative distances to the audience? Would delaying both the dry and delayed reverb signals to account for those distances lessen the need to exaggerate, or just make a mess of things?
BWC
Frequent Poster
BWC

Post by The Elf »

Don't overthink this technique - just tweak the delays until things sound as you want them.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20053 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Sorry BWC, yes, I meant another 20ms.
But as The Elf said, it's a case of tweaking things until they sound how you want them; the numbers are just a starting point.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by BWC »

But I like overthinking these kinda things, it's fun. :smirk:
:geek::think::)
I get it, I get it, I'll play around. Thanks fellas.
BWC
Frequent Poster
BWC

Post by Hippie162 »

The Elf wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:27 am Don't overthink this technique - just tweak the delays until things sound as you want them.

I am glad you said that as my head was starting to scramble :crazy:
Hippie162
Regular
Posts: 198 Joined: Tue May 04, 2021 9:40 am Location: Somerset, UK
Cubase Pro 11 user: Trying to improve my production and mixing skills!