Sit stand desk - monitors on floor stands, or on [stands on] the desk?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Sit stand desk - monitors on floor stands, or on [stands on] the desk?

Post by Martin Walker »

Dan B wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:45 pm An update...

So far, very happy. Still piecing things together, but plan to post photos, perhaps even a video, when done (and if I remeber!).

Thanks again for all the advice.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Looking forward to the forthcoming photos, but after reading through the previous responses one additional thought occurred to me, and that's to use something like Sonarworks to measure for two different corrective loudspeaker EQs, one for when you are standing up and the other for sitting down.

This would in theory compensate for any differences in acoustic output depending on their vertical position.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 19098 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Dan B »

Thanks Martin. Yes, I was having similar thoughts. Still assembling things at the moment, but once I have speaker and desk positions locked, I plan to do exactly that (Sonarworks or something similar).

The challenge is that when I not working on audio, most of my listening is simply on the PC (via my RME soundcard, to the Neumans via a Drawmer CMC2). I think most (all?) of the room correction software runs as plug-ins, so I guess I'd always have keep a DAW open all the time and route everything through that (unless there's another, easier approach...?). Haven't tried that approach yet, but I'll look into it ...
Dan B
Regular
Posts: 168 Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2001 12:00 am Location: London

Post by RichardT »

Hi Dan,

You can install Sonarworks so that all audio goes through it - so you don’t need to route audio through your DAW. The software component that does that is called ‘Sonarworks systemwide’ and it creates another audio device that you can use. At least that’s what happens on Mac! This is the approach that I use so that I can do referencing by listening to Tidal with the same correction as I get using Cubase.
RichardT
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2005 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: London UK

Post by Martin Walker »

Yes, Sonarworks Systemwide utility works in exactly the same way on my PC, so everything goes through it, including YouTube and other online audio.

When I open Reaper, that uses the lower latency ASIO version, and automatically avoids Systemwide so the correct only happens once. All works fine for me!

Martin
Martin Walker

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

There are a number of hardware speaker/room correction systems -- KRK Ergo, MiniDSP, Coneq, Trinnov, etc -- that can be plumbed into the monitoring signal path or monitor controller, which are more appropriate for systems that involve replay sources which don't go through a computer.

And of course there are many speaker systems with integrated room correction facilities, too.

But there are always limitations over what room/speaker correction systems can do, and my preference was to fix the room as best as I could so that room correction software wasn't needed...
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 34038 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Martin Walker »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:59 pm But there are always limitations over what room/speaker correction systems can do, and my preference was to fix the room as best as I could so that room correction software wasn't needed...

My approach was also to fix the room as best I could, before adding Sonarworks to flatten out the remaining ripples (in my case, Sonarworks has to correct by no more than 6dB at any frequency, and works well, but in my experience it's not really so effective if attempting to correct for larger swings in largely untreated rooms).

Martin
Martin Walker

Post by Dan B »

Thanks all.
Sonarworks Systemwide (or similar software I can strap across my master soundcard output) sounds like the ticket, or possibly the hardware route. There's not much that I listen to through the monitors that doesn't get routed through the soundcard, or a least not that I desperately need to have "corrected" (e.g. guitar).

I think I've reached the limit with what I can practically do with room treatment. (See attached - though I also have another 4-6 panels which I may use to double up corner traps and double/extend first reflection side points).

what is my monitor name
Dan B
Regular

Post by RichardT »

Dan B wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:11 am Thanks all.
Sonarworks Systemwide (or similar software I can strap across my master soundcard output) sounds like the ticket, or possibly the hardware route. There's not much that I listen to through the monitors that doesn't get routed through the soundcard, or a least not that I desperately need to have "corrected" (e.g. guitar).

I think I've reached the limit with what I can practically do with room treatment. (See attached - though I also have another 4-6 panels which I may use to double up corner traps and double/extend first reflection side points).

[url=https:*?*?*/gzCJfmC]Image[/url]
what is my monitor name

That looks good Dan, my only observation is that your panels are relatively slim at 4 inches. You would certainly get some improvement from doubling some of them up, especially the ones closest to the speakers and at reflection points.
RichardT
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

The image is difficult to read, but it appears to me that the side panels are 4-inches thick and spaced with a four-inch gap from the wall, which is a very practical approach. Most of the acoustic reach of 8-inch traps without the weight!

There also appear to be 6-inch deep panels on the rear wall, and even deeper full-height bass traps in the front corners (although I'm not clear if there are corner chunks behind the corner panels).
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 34038 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by RichardT »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:46 am The image is difficult to read, but it appears to me that the side panels are 4-inches thick and spaced with a four-inch gap from the wall, which is a very practical approach. Most of the acoustic reach of 8-inch traps without the weight!

There also appear to be 6-inch deep panels on the rear wall, and even deeper full-height bass traps in the front corners (although I'm not clear if there are corner chunks behind the corner panels).

I think it’s basically a good design Hugh, don’t get me wrong, I’m just encouraging Dan to deploy his extra panels! In my experience it really is the more the merrier, especially close to the speakers and reflection points.
RichardT
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Dan B »

Thanks both.

Yes, currently it's 4" panels with 4" gaps on the side walls and for the clouds. I can see the sense in doubling up first reflections with spare panels.

Rear wall is 6" with 6" gaps. Front corners are floor to ceiling 6" panels across the corners (with duvets behind).

I also have a few tall (c. 155cm) 4" panels. I'll need to get testing with REW and experiment with SBIR. The 38% listening formula suggests the (front of the) speakers should be 73cm from the front wall. I could put the tall panels behind the speakers ... But the other option would be to push the whole setup towards the front wall (closest would be about 45-50cm) and use those tall panels in front of the corner traps, so they'd be effectively 10" of treatment, with a gap (and a duvet) behind.
Dan B
Regular

Post by Dan B »

P.S. Rear wall corner chuncks are just small 40cm triangles in the upper tri-corners - but there isn't really room for anything else back there!
Dan B
Regular