Are the older hardware synths becoming the new investment?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Are the older hardware synths becoming the new investment?

Post by The Elf »

Perfect! Where can I get it? (I tried a few searches)
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20035 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Arpangel »

The Elf wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:56 pm Perfect! Where can I get it? (I tried a few searches)

It’s here Elf……….

https://agflynn.bandcamp.com/album/sto ... ricklewood

I recorded it at 4am the morning, I was discharged from Dartford General, after being taken off the motorway in an ambulance, I was out of my head on morphine, and this album came out.
It was finished by lunchtime. All I could think about at the time was Tod Dockstader, he changed my life back then, and I wanted a similar vibe, on a couple of tracks, at least, all Micron, apart from an E-MU Proformance piano module on one track.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by N i g e l »

Arpangel wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:33 pm Tod Dockstader,

:thumbup: cheers , a name I was unfamiliar with.

Stormclouds etc ..... I have listend to before, in a work environment, and found benificial. Do you get paid for listens in bandcamp ?
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3708 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by The Elf »

Arpangel wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:33 pm
The Elf wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:56 pm Perfect! Where can I get it? (I tried a few searches)

It’s here Elf……….

Interesting stuff. I'd still say I'm not hearing anything 'unique' to the Micron, but you're making good use of it, and it clearly inspires you - that can't be bad. :thumbup:
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20035 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Arpangel »

The Elf wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:10 am
Arpangel wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:33 pm

It’s here Elf……….

Interesting stuff. I'd still say I'm not hearing anything 'unique' to the Micron, but you're making good use of it, and it clearly inspires you - that can't be bad. :thumbup:

Thanks Elf, it’s the general character of it that I like, and I still wouldn’t know where to turn, to get those sounds, the two long soundscapes especially, it’s the way the modulation section works, it’s very interesting.
True, you may be able to get similar sounds elsewhere, but the Micron produces them easily, with no bother, they are just there.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by forumuser918214 »

Well, there is the "greater fool" theory - think of Beanie Babies. It can work for a while.
forumuser918214
Poster

Post by Barows »

Synths, guitars, 'modern classic' cars, unopened computer games, etc. Asset bubbles due to cheap money and 0% interest rates.

But I'm sure TPTB have it under control. Right...?
Barows
Posts: 3 Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:51 pm Location: Cambridge

Post by Chimera »

I had always assumed that much of the value of older hardware synths was the vintage variability of sound. I’ve recently been looking at Jason Cooper’s Voice Component Modelling using gated sequencers on the Rev 2. http://www.voicecomponentmodeling.com/

Jason has YT vids under the name Creative Spiral and it is certainly a development that has potential to impact desirability of older synths. Jason has measured the Sequential vintage knob changes on the P5/10 and P/OB 6. He believes Sequential have copied his VCM in their implementation. It certainly will be interesting to see whether Sequential run with the idea on their next release.
Chimera
Regular
Posts: 268 Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:00 am Location: Wirral
Mac Studio Ultra M2
64GB.