The usual iLok nightmare

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The usual iLok nightmare

Post by Matt Houghton »

I've been using iLok, dongles and not, for years. No problems here. So... either Karma is going to kick me up the arse (actually, maybe it already is... but at least iLok still works painlessly!) or Elf did something terrible in a previous life.

Seriously, though...unless there's an actual fault, I don't understand why it seems so complicated. You buy the product from the manufacturer and they either deposit a license in your iLok account or give you a code to redeem to do the same. Then you go into iLok Manager, log in, and check for available licenses... drag and drop to your computer or a dongle. Job done. Then, and only then fire up your DAW and the license is checked on scanning/loading. Admittedly, faults can prevent all this going smoothly... but it's hardly 'confusing'. Or am I missing something?
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Post by Watchmaker »

rggillespie wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:54 pm It's without doubt the worst software ever

Surely that honor goes to ProTools itself. King of mischief and master of pain.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1125 Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:00 am Location: Upstate NY, USA
Where does sound exist?

Post by The Elf »

Matt Houghton wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:41 pm I've been using iLok, dongles and not, for years. No problems here. So... either Karma is going to kick me up the arse (actually, maybe it already is... but at least iLok still works painlessly!) or Elf did something terrible in a previous life.

Seriously, though...unless there's an actual fault, I don't understand why it seems so complicated. You buy the product from the manufacturer and they either deposit a license in your iLok account or give you a code to redeem to do the same. Then you go into iLok Manager, log in, and check for available licenses... drag and drop to your computer or a dongle. Job done. Then, and only then fire up your DAW and the license is checked on scanning/loading. Admittedly, faults can prevent all this going smoothly... but it's hardly 'confusing'. Or am I missing something?

You're missing the fact that iLok Manager simply doesn't work properly, and never has. I can't even install the latest version, because it complains about something (one of its own files) missing (it isn't - I've checked). I've given up trying t update it.

Then when I try to activate a license I get another error, followed by an inability to install the activation to my iLok dongle (it gives yet another error of something missing) until I unplug it and plug it into a *different* USB port.

It's all utterly laughable.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18076 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by The Elf »

Watchmaker wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:23 pm
rggillespie wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:54 pm It's without doubt the worst software ever

Surely that honor goes to ProTools itself. King of mischief and master of pain.

I'm kinda with you on that one. PT is finally dropping out of use with the people I deal with - a blessed relief.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Post by Matt Houghton »

The Elf wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:57 pm You're missing the fact that iLok Manager simply doesn't work properly, and never has.

No I'm not.

For one thing, I mentioned the possibility of faults (twice).

For another, while I'm sure your problems are genuine, "never has" is clearly incorrect, since lots of people are and have been using it without issue — including me, on both Mac and Windows. (Famous historical outages excepted!)

Either you're incredibly unlucky, or there must a consistent problem/incompatibility for you somewhere. Can we help you troubleshoot?
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Post by The Elf »

Of course I was only speaking for myself. "Never has" should be "Never has here (on a number of different PCs)." Though I should point out that I know I'm not alone.

No thanks to any further troubleshooting, though I do appreciate the offer. I hope not to get caught out again. I am buying no more iLok-encumbered software.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Post by Watchmaker »

My experience is different on Mac vs PC. On Mac, I've never had any issues. I was unable to coax a satisfactory experience on PC's. Once I decided to learn Mac OS my music production life became easier. Now my expensive Windows computers are used for CAD architectural design work for my business, gaming and browsing. Meanwhile my aging Mac still kicks ass on a 20i/32o channel setup with no licensing issues at all across 7 vendors and 28 licenses in iLok alone.

YMMV
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1125 Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:00 am Location: Upstate NY, USA
Where does sound exist?