The usual iLok nightmare

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

The usual iLok nightmare

Post by The Elf »

I though that I'd take advantage of the recent Slate Digital offers and grab Trigger 2.

Little did I know it needed iLok... :sick:

And here we go yet again with the usual nightmare of trying to get an iLok-based plug-in working: DAW asking for a code I don't have; iLok Manager wanting to update, but failing with a horrible system error when trying to do so; product I've purchased not showing up in iLok Manager's list...

I don't know why I bother. I HATE iLok with a vengeance. Not *once* has anything involving this accursed technology just worked as it should.

I'm at the point of just asking for a refund and to take this "!£$%^&* iLok dongle out and driving over it with something heavy.

Oh, and, of course, Cubase now decides it's 'not a valid plug-in'...
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20028 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: The usual iLok nightmare

Post by pk.roberts »

Coincidentally, I thought I'd give their 'free' exciter plug in (Fresh Air) a try-out this afternoon and had an equally frustrating time. That's the best part of an hour I'm never going to get back. I can only offer sympathy and solidarity! :headbang:
pk.roberts
Regular
Ain't No Party Like an S Club Party

Post by shufflebeat »

No idea what I'm doing wrong but Fresh Air has installed perfectly for me.

(Can't help but feel some Karmic rebalancing coming on).
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9101 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by The Elf »

Well, the good news is that I managed to get it all working. I'm still baffled by iLok Manager; its sole purpose seems to be to make something simple as complicated as possible.

But Trigger is definitely amazing, so I'll admit it was worth the effort. And with the project I'm working on right now it's going to be a HUGE time-saver.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by rggillespie »

Aaaargh! I read this post today and it reminded of my trials with ilok, thank God that's behind me I thought. Turn on my pc tonight and lo and behold ilok wont recognise my liquid sonics seventh heaven. I have changed nothing and yet it says I have no license. It's without doubt the worst software ever, and very frustrating if you've legitimately bought something. Time when I could be enjoying myself recording I shall now have to waste trying to fix it. I cant get my reverberate to work and now seventh heaven too, the only things I own with wretched ilok. Ilok themselves are hopeless in helping and say speak to your software supplier. A total pain, I wonder why software people use something that's not fit for purpose!
rggillespie
Regular

Post by rggillespie »

Latest message says 'there's an ilok cloud outage'
rggillespie
Regular

Post by The Elf »

rggillespie wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:56 pm Latest message says 'there's an ilok cloud outage'

There's very definitely a foul smelling cloud 'outaging' from iLok... :madas::evil::madas::evil:
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by BWC »

The Elf wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:59 pm
rggillespie wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:56 pm Latest message says 'there's an ilok cloud outage'

There's very definitely a foul smelling cloud 'outaging' from iLok... :madas::evil::madas::evil:

:lol:

I remember another recent thread on this where someone pointed out that too many software and digital content sellers seem to think that zero-loss is actually achievable, without also achieving zero-customers, because you've treated them all like criminals and overly inconvenienced them with a burden for which they are not responsible.

Any time I look at a new plugin, casually or lustfully, I always look to see what the authorization requirements are. If it'll take more than a minute, or is too complicated (more failure opportunities), I'll pass, no matter how much I want it. I've never had an iLok account or any dongles, and I absolutely don't want one. To all sellers of digital products, I say, make it easy and accept some loss, or you've lost, at least, this customer.
BWC
Frequent Poster
Posts: 507 Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:12 am Location: FL, US
BWC

Post by The Elf »

There's an irony here. Steinberg are ridding us of their dongle, with which I've never had a problem, yet iLok, which I've had nothing but trouble with, lives on...

Sigh... :frown:
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I'm going to risk everything and say that I've had no issues with Ilok. I don't have a physical dongle, just the online manager, but no problems. One of the easiest set ups to transfer to a new computer as well.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24577 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Luke W »

blinddrew wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:34 pm I'm going to risk everything and say that I've had no issues with Ilok. I don't have a physical dongle, just the online manager, but no problems. One of the easiest set ups to transfer to a new computer as well.

I was starting to think I was the only person on the planet that wasn't bitten by an iLok as a child. :lol:

I do hear a lot of horror stories, but I've been lucky thus far. Now I've said it...
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1536 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by ien »

I've always stayed clear of the hardware ilok but i've also not had any problems with the software version. In fact, i really like it for being so fast and easy to register plugins.
ien
New here

Post by Matt Houghton »

I've been using iLok, dongles and not, for years. No problems here. So... either Karma is going to kick me up the arse (actually, maybe it already is... but at least iLok still works painlessly!) or Elf did something terrible in a previous life.

Seriously, though...unless there's an actual fault, I don't understand why it seems so complicated. You buy the product from the manufacturer and they either deposit a license in your iLok account or give you a code to redeem to do the same. Then you go into iLok Manager, log in, and check for available licenses... drag and drop to your computer or a dongle. Job done. Then, and only then fire up your DAW and the license is checked on scanning/loading. Admittedly, faults can prevent all this going smoothly... but it's hardly 'confusing'. Or am I missing something?
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Post by Watchmaker »

rggillespie wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:54 pm It's without doubt the worst software ever

Surely that honor goes to ProTools itself. King of mischief and master of pain.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1146 Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:00 am Location: Upstate NY, USA
Where does sound exist?

Post by The Elf »

Matt Houghton wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:41 pm I've been using iLok, dongles and not, for years. No problems here. So... either Karma is going to kick me up the arse (actually, maybe it already is... but at least iLok still works painlessly!) or Elf did something terrible in a previous life.

Seriously, though...unless there's an actual fault, I don't understand why it seems so complicated. You buy the product from the manufacturer and they either deposit a license in your iLok account or give you a code to redeem to do the same. Then you go into iLok Manager, log in, and check for available licenses... drag and drop to your computer or a dongle. Job done. Then, and only then fire up your DAW and the license is checked on scanning/loading. Admittedly, faults can prevent all this going smoothly... but it's hardly 'confusing'. Or am I missing something?

You're missing the fact that iLok Manager simply doesn't work properly, and never has. I can't even install the latest version, because it complains about something (one of its own files) missing (it isn't - I've checked). I've given up trying t update it.

Then when I try to activate a license I get another error, followed by an inability to install the activation to my iLok dongle (it gives yet another error of something missing) until I unplug it and plug it into a *different* USB port.

It's all utterly laughable.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by The Elf »

Watchmaker wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:23 pm
rggillespie wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:54 pm It's without doubt the worst software ever

Surely that honor goes to ProTools itself. King of mischief and master of pain.

I'm kinda with you on that one. PT is finally dropping out of use with the people I deal with - a blessed relief.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Matt Houghton »

The Elf wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:57 pm You're missing the fact that iLok Manager simply doesn't work properly, and never has.

No I'm not.

For one thing, I mentioned the possibility of faults (twice).

For another, while I'm sure your problems are genuine, "never has" is clearly incorrect, since lots of people are and have been using it without issue — including me, on both Mac and Windows. (Famous historical outages excepted!)

Either you're incredibly unlucky, or there must a consistent problem/incompatibility for you somewhere. Can we help you troubleshoot?
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Post by The Elf »

Of course I was only speaking for myself. "Never has" should be "Never has here (on a number of different PCs)." Though I should point out that I know I'm not alone.

No thanks to any further troubleshooting, though I do appreciate the offer. I hope not to get caught out again. I am buying no more iLok-encumbered software.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Watchmaker »

My experience is different on Mac vs PC. On Mac, I've never had any issues. I was unable to coax a satisfactory experience on PC's. Once I decided to learn Mac OS my music production life became easier. Now my expensive Windows computers are used for CAD architectural design work for my business, gaming and browsing. Meanwhile my aging Mac still kicks ass on a 20i/32o channel setup with no licensing issues at all across 7 vendors and 28 licenses in iLok alone.

YMMV
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1146 Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:00 am Location: Upstate NY, USA
Where does sound exist?