Fenestration

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Fenestration

Post by ef37a »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:49 am Its capitalism in action, Dave.

If the manufacturers thought more people would buy more of their products if they had MIDI they'd fit MIDI.

And if people really wanted MIDI they'd only buy products with MIDI, and all those manufacturers not fitting MIDI would go bust.

But thats not happening because most people wanting MIDI choose 'better' alternative solutions.

Well, I did not want to get political but "capitalism" is the cause of enormous waste. "Market forces" hardly ever gets it right. E.G. the present scarcity of LF tests.
Then, if your theory was valid Hugh you would expect the cheapest products to have the lowest incidence of DINs. Actually the reverse is the case.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 14170 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Actually, I'd expect most budget interfaces to have MIDI, and more expensive interfaces not to... which I think is broadly the case
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 34050 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by ef37a »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:24 pm Actually, I'd expect most budget interfaces to have MIDI, and more expensive interfaces not to... which I think is broadly the case

Which is contrary to 'market forces'. But I would love to know why? RME seem to be about the only top chaps still fitting DIN ports or breakout skts.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 14170 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I imagine people in the market for larger,
expensive interfaces prefer external MIDI solutions as they are more likely to have elaborate system requirements.

People buying budget interfaces typically won't, and so on board MIDI would be more useful as a selling point.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 34050 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual...