Low profile XLR cables

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Low profile XLR cables

Post by Humf »

Humf wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Humf wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:09 pm Sorry I should’ve been clearer. For my video work, I would just like some short length and lighter weight XLRs to hand.

Ah. Lightweight rather than low-profile...

I have a bunch I acquired from Rycote years ago for use with their InVision studio shockmounts, but they don't appear to make them anymore. Others I've made up myself using whatever thin flexible mic cable I could find. It's mostly Mogami 2697) I think -- lavalier mic cable.

If you're not into DIY cable making, contact one of the small independent cable making companies who could easily knock some up for you. John Godsland at Orchid Electronics might be a good bet if you're in the UK.

Obviously, a thin and lightweight cable isn't robust. I generally only use them as a link between a microphone on a shock mount and a heavy-duty cable to run back to the recorder. The idea is to prevent any cable-carried vibrations from reaching the mic and effectively short-circuiting the shock-mount. They also prevent the weight of a normal cable from deforming the shock-mount. Mine are all around 0.5m in length, mostly with standard XLRs on both ends (although a few have right-angled female XLRs)

Thanks Hugh. Yes I’d seen the Mogami cable mentioned too.

I’ll have a look at Orchard.

One of my uses would be almost like patch cable within a rack that houses both my X32 rack and video switcher. Also for use with various mics and routing from my zoom F6 which is on a spider arm off the tripod. Solo shooting is tough and I’m trying to find ways to reduce bulk and where possible, keep the rack with some bits of cabling permanently patched for speedy setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just for clarity, I don’t ever use the x32 and F6 at the same time Image

Just chatted with Pink Noise (who are always amazing...) and they do make custom cables, so fingers crossed I’ll get some made up. Ideal solution as I live locally to them.

Humf
Regular

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

:thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39028 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Humf »

It’s arrived.. and it’s a thing of beauty. Thank you Pink Noise.

Humf
Regular

Post by Martin Walker »

:clap::thumbup:
Martin Walker
Posts: 20640 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK