Long cable run for speakers

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Long cable run for speakers

Post by Folderol »

OK, that looks quite respectable now :)
At that stated max power for the speakers and in 8 ohms that would be a max current of just over 3A each, so any decent came of 1.5mm or greater should be fine.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18168 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by ef37a »

Folderol wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:38 pm OK, that looks quite respectable now :)
At that stated max power for the speakers and in 8 ohms that would be a max current of just over 3A each, so any decent came of 1.5mm or greater should be fine.

Yes, 16 AWG copper cable will have a loop resistance of around one Ohm. Yer hi fi bod would not be happy but little you can do in that situation and I doubt you would hear any degradation.

Now, I might not have got the right speakers and amp but I see a problem. Speakers rated at 75W amp 200 W? If that was the 4R rating of a solid state amps (especially class 'D') I would only be slightly worried but the Rodgers 200b seems to be a valve amp? The 'impedance' difference does not save you with valves! That amp will pump 200W, maybe much more into those speakers. However, I think you said you have had the system running in the past? Ok but I think you have been lucky and no one has tried to drive the beans off the kit!

I still say save money and buy 2 core, bog standard house cable. (must of course meet 'code')

If that IS a valve amp, get a set of 6550s and a couple of 12BH7 valves in stock. They are only ever going to get rarer and more expensive. Note, KT88s are not made the way GEC did any more so avoid those. Personally I would flog the amp and buy a decent, modern transistor jobby.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16517 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Folderol »

S200B - It's solid state. One of those monoblock module thingies by the looks of it.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by ef37a »

Folderol wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:01 pmS200B - It's solid state. One of those monoblock module thingies by the looks of it.

Yes Will I found both that and the valve jobby. Even so 200W into 4R means a likely 120-140W into 8 R. I know many speakers are tougher than their ratings and amplifier adpuff depts like to 'massage' power figures but I still think OP is sailing close to the wind? Especially with 'remote' speakers where the person at the source probably won't be able to hear them going into distress.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Wonks »

Yes, it appears to be solid state. When I first looked, the only hit I could find was an eBay picture stating it was a valve amp. That was obviously wrong as I now get a couple more hits showing a solid-state amp with inputs via a 9-pin D connector, two output channels and a big finned heatsink on the rear. The label on the back stating the input voltage also states 140W, which I assume to be the input, rather than the output power, so it's likely to be a class AB amp with maybe 30-40W PC output. All very low-res images though, so difficult to say anything with confidence.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Mike Stranks »

Useful updates one and all... :thumbup:

We're now into 'it depends' territory...

It depends on the size of the building, whether this is just for amplifying speech, the accustomed volume that the congregation expects, the efficiency of the speakers etc.

But as a general observation, in my experience if Wonks is right then that output power is on the low-side for the task required. But if the cong is happy with what they already have then changing the speaker cables is not going to materially alter things.

I generally use the 1.5mm 'Speaker Cable' from CPC... good value (https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/78-0- ... er%20cable but currently on back-order.) However CPC have loads of other options... just search for 'speaker cable'. But Dave is also right... any decent 2-core mains with conductors of the required thickness is equally good. IME finding it at a sensible price in non-orange or non-white can prove a challenge. Maybe I didn't look hard enough! :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Wonks »

As Rodgers make organs, organ amps and organ speakers, I would guess it's for amplifying an electronic church organ rather than for a PA.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by Kwackman »

Wonks wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:57 am As Rodgers make organs, organ amps and organ speakers, I would guess it's for amplifying an electronic church organ rather than for a PA.

Yup, if you google the speaker model the results show it's for an organ.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3221 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by Folderol »

Mike Stranks wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:33 am It depends on the size of the building, whether this is just for amplifying speech,

This is rather critical information that's missing!
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by twotoedsloth »

Hello,

And thank you for helping me out here.

This is primarily for voice amplification.

Not sure why they purchased organ specific amp/speaker combination.

To summarize your advice, I should use "brown lamp cable"?

Many thanks,

Peter
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Post by ef37a »

No, I would go for this: https://discountelectrical.com/6242y-tw ... efEALw_wcB

Just tie the earth to Blue and reduce the loop resistance a bit. A 50mtr drum will do your 140feet and while you are in the Lekky store get a couple of ABS boxes to make 'posh' end terminations. Some 6 or 10 amp 'choc-bloc' will serve for connection.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Mike Stranks »

twotoedsloth wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:23 pm Hello,

And thank you for helping me out here.

This is primarily for voice amplification.

Not sure why they purchased organ specific amp/speaker combination.

To summarize your advice, I should use "brown lamp cable"?

Many thanks,

Peter

'Brown lamp cable' is almost certainly not what you want.

Dave's put you on the right track. You need cable with a diameter on each connector of a minimum of 1.5mm. Chose colour according to taste.

... and the plot thickens wrt the amp. It has no mic inputs so there must be some form of upstream mixer or preamp(s). But that needn't concern us...

I don't know how the church is placed financially or numbers-wise, but it may be time to start over with something more suitable...

For churches on a budget I've sometimes provided a 'second-user' Inter-M mixer-amplifier... There are some absolute bargains to be had out there at well under £100.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by AlecSp »

ef37a wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:05 pm Some 6 or 10 amp 'choc-bloc' will serve for connection.

But not very well. Really, these days, spend a few pennies more and use Wago connectors - quick and easy to terminate, much more reliable, and easily re-usable.
https://cpc.farnell.com/wago/221-412/co ... connectors
AlecSp
Frequent Poster
Posts: 673 Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:00 am Location: Herts, UK

Post by ef37a »

AlecSp wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:46 pm
ef37a wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:05 pm Some 6 or 10 amp 'choc-bloc' will serve for connection.

But not very well. Really, these days, spend a few pennies more and use Wago connectors - quick and easy to terminate, much more reliable, and easily re-usable.

I've not come across those Alec but I take issue with your "not very well". Used ' chocs' for 1/2 century and they are still used in junction boxes and used to be used for balanced mic conns!

Not pretty I grant you but I mean OP to use them in the ABS boxes and fit a more presentable connector, jack, Speakon, to the speakers and amplifier.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Folderol »

ef37a wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:58 pm

I've not come across those Alec but I take issue with your "not very well". Used ' chocs' for 1/2 century and they are still used in junction boxes and used to be used for balanced mic conns!

Not pretty I grant you but I mean OP to use them in the ABS boxes and fit a more presentable connector, jack, Speakon, to the speakers and amplifier.

Dave.

Weird. There is no real information as to how they are used, and I would never trust any kind of connector at high voltage (and these are supposedly mains rated) with snap-down locking.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by Wonks »

Wago are fine. Used them quite a lot on lots of control panels for both sensor wiring and 24v and 230v control signals.

But I really think 1.5mm2 is undersized. 85m (140 feet round-trip) of it will give about 1 ohm resistance, which is significant in comparison to the 8 ohm speakers (which probably drop to 6 ohms orcso in reality). Remember that the existing wiring is 4mm2 and the amp is certainly not overrated for its task. 4mm2 (12 gauge) has about 1/3 the resistance of the 1.5mm2 cable. If the existing cable is undamaged and can be reused, I’d just reuse it.

This in an installation in the USA, so you need to be aware of different codes/regs and any cable needs to comply with both local and national regs. I’ve worked on a few US buildings from afar, and know that cabling in public spaces and atria often need to be ‘plenum’ rated (LSZH). So as I’ve said before, compliance with code really needs to be checked before any cabling is purchased.

I’d agree that the whole PA system could do with reviewing and probably replacing as the existing system seems a bit underpowered and mismatched for its purpose. But that’s impossible to do remotely.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by DGL. »

Folderol wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:01 pm
ef37a wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:58 pm

Dave.

Weird. There is no real information as to how they are used, and I would never trust any kind of connector at high voltage (and these are supposedly mains rated) with snap-down locking.

Perfectly fine to use, meet all applicable safety regulations and all the sparkies I see on YT use them and the Ideal equivalent and have had no issues. Nice for connecting multiple cables together without having to try and jam conductors in "choc-block" connectors.

I've used the clear 20A connectors and love them.
DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1962 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset

Post by AlecSp »

ef37a wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:58 pm I've not come across those Alec but I take issue with your "not very well". Used ' chocs' for 1/2 century and they are still used in junction boxes and used to be used for balanced mic conns!

Try Wago connectors once and you'll be converted instantly.

Folderol wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:01 pm Weird. There is no real information as to how they are used, and I would never trust any kind of connector at high voltage (and these are supposedly mains rated) with snap-down locking.

The link was a retailer link. Maybe better off checking Wago's info

Much more reliable than a screw based terminal, maintenance-free, and widely used across the world.

It's normally just the US electricians who won't trust the repeatable and well supported Wagos, instead bizarrely preferring the horror that is wire nuts.
AlecSp
Frequent Poster

Post by Folderol »

AlecSp wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:08 pm Much more reliable than a screw based terminal, maintenance-free, and widely used across the world.

It's normally just the US electricians who won't trust the repeatable and well supported Wagos, instead bizarrely preferring the horror that is wire nuts.

Well, that link confirms I don't want them around in my house. A properly fitted screw terminal block is far safer - Oh, and I've not seen a wire nut/acorn in this country for over 50 years.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by AlecSp »

Folderol wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:27 am Well, that link confirms I don't want them around in my house. A properly fitted screw terminal block is far safer - Oh, and I've not seen a wire nut/acorn in this country for over 50 years.

We're off at a tangent here, but a worthwhile one.

Your words are typical of those of those who've never used a Wago connector. They are widely used, and commonly specified for commercial installations.

Maybe worth trying one before you pass judgement so quickly...?
AlecSp
Frequent Poster