Cubase 12 - Free upgrade code

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Cubase 12 - Free upgrade code

Post by Dynamic Mike »

Steinberg have emailed me a code for a 30% Black Friday upgrade to Cubase 11. To be honest there's nothing really useful to me in C11 that I haven't got in C9 but for just £95 (rather than £136) it seems maybe prudent to upgrade now.

What's making me suspicious is the offer also includes an automatic free upgrade to C12 when it's released next year. Other than Steinberg dropping the eLicenser next year (& perhaps want to encourage people away from using one) I can't see any reason why they'd do this. Maybe they're strapped for cash right now developing C12, in which case it makes sense.

Maybe I'm just paranoid but this seems too good to be true. The code is valid until 31.12.21 so there's no great rush to redeem it.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster
Keeping 2 Chevrons apart

Re: Cubase 12 - Free upgrade code

Post by Matt Houghton »

It's what they call a 'grace period' update -- anyone buying/registering C11 now will get a free update to C12 when released.

They always had a couple of months' grace period like this after a new release, the idea being to avoid a huge dip in sales before the anticipated release and, presumably, to spread the load on their servers over time too.

This time, they announced their plans for C12 when they would (in their previously regular product cycle) normally have released a paid 11.5 update. And the grace period applies from that announcement.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Post by The Elf »

Dynamic Mike wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:36 am To be honest there's nothing really useful to me in C11 that I haven't got in C9...

Export queues - saved me hours of work and mistakes!
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20043 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Dynamic Mike »

The Elf wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:52 pm
Dynamic Mike wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:36 am To be honest there's nothing really useful to me in C11 that I haven't got in C9...

I don't even know what that means! We operate at very different levels. I'm aware I don't even scratch the surface of Cubase's capability, but I stick with it because I'm comfortable & familiar with it. :)
But.. thinking on it, since Matt's mentioned it, I've actually upgraded during the grace period in the past so any suspicions are totally unfounded & I'll take the bait.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster
Keeping 2 Chevrons apart

Post by OneWorld »

Dynamic Mike wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:36 am Steinberg have emailed me a code for a 30% Black Friday upgrade to Cubase 11. To be honest there's nothing really useful to me in C11 that I haven't got in C9 but for just £95 (rather than £136) it seems maybe prudent to upgrade now.

What's making me suspicious is the offer also includes an automatic free upgrade to C12 when it's released next year. Other than Steinberg dropping the eLicenser next year (& perhaps want to encourage people away from using one) I can't see any reason why they'd do this. Maybe they're strapped for cash right now developing C12, in which case it makes sense.

Maybe I'm just paranoid but this seems too good to be true. The code is valid until 31.12.21 so there's no great rush to redeem it.

Are you sure you can qualify for the upgrade price of £95? I have been emailed the same offer and clicking the link takes me to this page.....

https://www.steinberg.net/promotion/?ut ... 9-174L12OJ

That shows you can upgrade from C10.5 to C11 for £85 but from the following to C11 is £136....

Cubase Pro 11
Update from Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Pro 9.5, Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Pro 8.5, Cubase Pro 8, Cubase 7.5, Cubase 7, Cubase 6.5, Cubase 6, Cubase 5, Cubase 4

Could you post a link to the page where you can upgrade from C9 to C11 for £95? Thanks
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by Dynamic Mike »

It's £136 minus 30% once you've entered the code, which is about £95. But it doesn't appear until you've added it to the basket.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster
Keeping 2 Chevrons apart

Post by The Elf »

Dynamic Mike wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:09 am
The Elf wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:52 pm

I don't even know what that means!

You've finished you mix and you're ready to export the audio...

You set up an export queue that:
  • Exports an MP3, with your 'mastering' inserts active on the master output.
  • Exports a 16-bit WAV file with inserts active on the master output.
  • Exports a 24-bit 'un-mastered' WAV file with the master out inserts de-activated.
  • Exports any other format/combination you need.
Click one button and go have a coffee - when you return it's all done.

Need to make some changes and re-export all that output again? One button. And it never makes the mistake of choosing the wrong format or forgetting to de-activate processors.

This one feature is worth the upgrade price IMHO. People pay more for plug-ins that make much less difference to their lives.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by worshiptuned »

The Elf wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:45 pm Exports any other format/combination you need.

=stems of your mix

definitely a great feature worth the upgrade

And then after a few months you'll have the free upgrade to 12

Dynamic Mike wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:36 am this seems too good to be true

No, I confirm what Matt said, the offer is consistent with their normal upgrade policy
worshiptuned
Regular

Post by OneWorld »

Dynamic Mike wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:49 am It's £136 minus 30% once you've entered the code, which is about £95. But it doesn't appear until you've added it to the basket.

Thanks, and yep, that's a good deal, especially with the C12 offer
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by The Elf »

worshiptuned wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:13 pm
The Elf wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:45 pm Exports any other format/combination you need.

=stems of your mix

Not just stems, but yes, those too. :thumbup:
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by mva68 »

I myself am a bit suspicious about the C12 upgrade offer: would from that version on a subscription model being used, eg you get C12 for one year. And have to pay again the next year... otherwise you cannot use the product anymore. Without the USB dongle you always have to have an internet connection for licensing verification so that would be possible. You will be paying for the full product while others will have the marketed cheaper option of subscribing yearly.
mva68

Post by Luke W »

mva68 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:46 pm I myself am a bit suspicious about the C12 upgrade offer: would from that version on a subscription model being used, eg you get C12 for one year. And have to pay again the next year...

Steinberg have stated very recently that based on customer feedback they have no plans to introuduce a subscription model. Things do change, but I'd feel fairly confident that it won't be an issue.

I have to say, Cubase gets more and more tempting the more I look at it. I do regret not grabbing a licence when they did their 30th anniversary sale...
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1540 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by The Elf »

Each time I think Cubase has everything I need along comes something wonderful - the last being the audio alignment feature (no more Vocalign for me).

VariAudio is, quite simply, stunning. Other DAW users wonder what happened when I've tuned their dodgy guitar solo in four mouse clicks!

One of the things that impresses clients most is how fast I can work with Cubase. Any discussions about using a different DAW quickly dissipate once they see me work. It makes me look good, and that keeps me employed!

Currently I'm crossing my fingers for a spectral repair tool...
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Luke W »

I'm at the point where everything I do as work is fine, and I don't really want for anything in terms of features. But I've started doing a bit of composition (largely for my own amusement at the moment) and using lots of libraries and VI's is where Cubase is looking tempting.

I think eventually I'll get a licence, use it for the "fun stuff" that I do for myself as a chance to really learn it well and then I'll be better placed to make the jump to having it as my main DAW if I choose.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1540 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by n o i s e f l e ur »

Another feature worth the price of the upgrade is the independent DPI setting for Win 10.

I should really probably get glasses all the same!
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Post by Music Wolf »

I upgraded from 10.5 pro to 11 a couple of days ago. <£60 with the offer (applied as checkout).

I had the usual fun with eLicencer (was told that my software was out of date, updated, then got the same message a further three times until I stood on one leg and faced West, then suddenly everything worked). I remembered to make a note of all of my plug-in paths so that everything was visible in short order.

The only thing that nearly tripped me up was that Direct Monitoring was ticked as default. Just need to map out some of the function buttons on the X-Touch and we're done.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2755 Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:00 am Location: Exiled to St Helens

Post by n o i s e f l e ur »

Ooh - nearly forgot another new feature in 11 worth the discounted upgrade price;

Global Tracks available in the Key Editor.

https://youtu.be/h3zeOPa2z1U
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Post by Dynamic Mike »

Whoops. Sorry, last day is 13.12.21 not 31.12.21. My mistake.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster
Keeping 2 Chevrons apart