Nile Rodgers Guitar Auction

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Nile Rodgers Guitar Auction

Post by Dynamic Mike »

blinddrew wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:00 pm
Dynamic Mike wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:13 pm I sometimes wonder if your guitar collection already contains a humbucker, a single coil and a P90, then nothing you buy will sound any different to anyone but you.

Well, assuming you mean a solid body, semi-hollow and hollow body version of each... ;)

Obviously that's what I meant. Also I assumed a trem/hardtail version of each, in differing scale lengths, with new/NOS/closet/relic versions as required.

But seriously, although they all feel & play differently, I'm not sure they sound as different (tonally) to other people listening to us as we'd like to think. I have no interest in synths & whilst I can hear whether it's a beepy/stringy/whoosy/whatever synth sound, they all sound pretty much the same to me. Why anyone needs more than one synth defeats me. Similarly I'm sure there are people who are equally unimpressed with miniscule tweaks to guitar tones, especially in the context of a mix.
Dynamic Mike
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4267 Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:00 am
Keeping 2 Chevrons apart

Re: Nile Rodgers Guitar Auction

Post by BWC »

Most people will never notice any of the details that we obsess over, but they do notice the sum of all that obsessive detail work.
BWC
Regular
Posts: 212 Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:12 am Location: Florida, US
BWC

Re: Nile Rodgers Guitar Auction

Post by Arpangel »

N i g e l wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:30 pm What is the optium number of guitars and which ones is not the question here. The question is do you need a guitar with star shine, whos do you need ? , & how much % are you prepared to pay over the normal price ?

Wouldn’t mind one of Robert Fripp's guitars, it would be useless to me, as I’m not a guitarist, but I would use it as a magical tool, to invoke inspiration.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11070 Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am
That’s another thing

Re: Nile Rodgers Guitar Auction

Post by Sam Spoons »

Arpangel wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:15 am
N i g e l wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:30 pm What is the optium number of guitars and which ones is not the question here. The question is do you need a guitar with star shine, whos do you need ? , & how much % are you prepared to pay over the normal price ?

Wouldn’t mind one of Robert Fripp's guitars, it would be useless to me, as I’m not a guitarist, but I would use it as a magical tool, to invoke inspiration.

Once upon a time I would have chosen Eric's Blackie, or David Gilmour's Black Strat (still two of my favourite guitarists) but now it would be Django's Selmer.
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17313 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
Your karma has run over my dogma

Re: Nile Rodgers Guitar Auction

Post by blinddrew »

Dynamic Mike wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:23 am But seriously, although they all feel & play differently, I'm not sure they sound as different (tonally) to other people listening to us as we'd like to think. I have no interest in synths & whilst I can hear whether it's a beepy/stringy/whoosy/whatever synth sound, they all sound pretty much the same to me. Why anyone needs more than one synth defeats me. Similarly I'm sure there are people who are equally unimpressed with miniscule tweaks to guitar tones, especially in the context of a mix.

For once we're in complete agreement! ;)
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18675 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Nile Rodgers Guitar Auction

Post by tea for two »

Could it have some thing to do with

as the creative juices start drying up we start looking for anything that could perhaps maybe get those juices flowing again even a little flow.

On a wing and a prayer we start purchasing this and that Guitar, Synth, that does this thing different or has this different feel, even if it is a little different.

After several years we just realise aaaarrrggghh who was I kidding. I'm just a dried up prune lol.
tea for two
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1237 Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:00 am

Re: Nile Rodgers Guitar Auction

Post by Arpangel »

I’d love Joe Zawinul's ARP2600, but somehow, I don’t think it would literally, improve my music, again, I could feel it, and hopefully get a few vibes from it.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11070 Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am
That’s another thing

Re: Nile Rodgers Guitar Auction

Post by Wonks »

tea for two wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:34 am I'm just a dried up prune lol.

Tautology, dear boy. Prunes are dried plums, so by definition, a prune is already dried-up.

Now, if you'd have said a 'dried-up grape', you'd have a raison to be cheerful.
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12762 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Re: Nile Rodgers Guitar Auction

Post by tea for two »

Wonks wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:43 am
tea for two wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:34 am I'm just a dried up prune lol.

Tautology, dear boy. Prunes are dried plums, so by definition, a prune is already dried-up.

Now, if you'd have said a 'dried-up grape', you'd have a raison to be cheerful.

Lol facepalm. Plum wood guitar??
tea for two
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1237 Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:00 am

Re: Nile Rodgers Guitar Auction

Post by Freelance Subversive »

Sam Spoons wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:02 am
Arpangel wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:15 am
N i g e l wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:30 pm What is the optium number of guitars and which ones is not the question here. The question is do you need a guitar with star shine, whos do you need ? , & how much % are you prepared to pay over the normal price ?

Wouldn’t mind one of Robert Fripp's guitars, it would be useless to me, as I’m not a guitarist, but I would use it as a magical tool, to invoke inspiration.

Once upon a time I would have chosen Eric's Blackie, or David Gilmour's Black Strat (still two of my favourite guitarists) but now it would be Django's Selmer.

I played Gilmour’s Black Strat when it was on display here and have to admit it did nothing for me: no sense of occasion or history; no magical, loin-tingling ‘mojo’. It just felt like a parts-caster and not even in the form it took when played on my favourite recordings. My wife said I’d regret not playing it and simply refuses to believe otherwise — in fact, I preferred the CS models on display. Suffice it to say: never meet your heroes...or play their instruments.

On the other hand, Django’s Selmer…
Freelance Subversive
Poster
Posts: 44 Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:21 pm

Re: Nile Rodgers Guitar Auction

Post by groovelator »

fyi the auction finished today. Looks like it was a great success! Interestingly pretty much everything went well over the asking price apart from the consoles... and the banjo. Make of that what you will! :)
User avatar
groovelator
Regular
Posts: 55 Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:00 am Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Nile Rodgers Guitar Auction

Post by Arpangel »

groovelator wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:58 pm fyi the auction finished today. Looks like it was a great success! Interestingly pretty much everything went well over the asking price apart from the consoles... and the banjo. Make of that what you will! :)

If the consoles didn’t go, I’ll take the Neve, I won’t even charge them to pick it up.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11070 Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am
That’s another thing
Post Reply