Natural sounding headphones.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Natural sounding headphones.

Post by Arpangel »

I’ve got no space left now, for a second pair of monitors on my synth table.
But I still need to hear accurately what I’m doing while programming.
Im almost going to buy a pair of Sennheiser HD600’s, they have an open natural sound, which is what I need, something that’s not going to feel like I’m wearing phones, something that makes the transition from monitors to phones well.
Apart from the 600's, are there any others I could consider? the 600’s are quite old now.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Natural sounding headphones.

Post by Bob Bickerton »

I used to use HD650s but found they were a little 'tight' on my head. For long sessions, I'm also after comfort. These days I use Beyer DT880s, which I find very comfortable, suitably neutral - well let me explain - they have a bit of a HF lift - but that helps my ageing ears.

I found this website very useful: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com You can compare frequency plots of a number of headphones there.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5085 Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:00 am Location: Nelson, New Zealand

Post by Chet Leeway »

I'm enjoying these a lot for the reasons you mention: https://austrian.audio/hi-x65/

Refiew here: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/au ... dio-hi-x65
Chet Leeway
Regular
Posts: 130 Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 8:13 pm Location: Barcelona

Post by Arpangel »

Thanks, I’ll check out the Austrian Audio ones, I’ll probably end up getting sent the 600’s and the AA's, it’s the only way I can think of trying them out.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ManFromGlass »

I’m finding the Shure SRH1840s fit my odd shaped head, aren’t heavy, don’t get hot on the ears and are very comfy with the fuzzy fabric. I’ve mixed using these and the mixes have translated very well to monitors.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6645 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by Matt Houghton »

Are you specifically looking for something in that price range? I noticed the Audeze LCD-X (as eell as higher end models) are discounted for Black Friday in some retailers... eg SCAN. Very happy with mine, particularly coupled with Acustica Sienna. But they're still rather more pricey than 600s/650s...
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Post by ef37a »

Arp', can you not just use a monitor controller to select the source to the existing monitors? Maybe just a 4pdt switch in a tin?

I think "natural headphones" is a contradiction in terms...NOT how we 'naturally' hear things.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16448 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Sam Inglis »

In that sort of price range, I'd second the Shure SRH1840s. Very light, comfortable to wear and a nice balanced frequency response without the obvious treble boost you get in a lot of headphones.
Sam Inglis

Post by James Perrett »

Very happy with HD600's here. They have a similar balance to the monitors I use so I know I won't find any big surprises when I listen on monitors.

My choice was influenced by the reviews on the Sonarworks website which has a pretty comprehensive roundup of studio headphones and also by comments on here when the HD600's have been discussed before.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Arpangel »

James Perrett wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:34 pm Very happy with HD600's here. They have a similar balance to the monitors I use so I know I won't find any big surprises when I listen on monitors.

My choice was influenced by the reviews on the Sonarworks website which has a pretty comprehensive roundup of studio headphones and also by comments on here when the HD600's have been discussed before.

James, you’ve just confirmed what I think, I know people who have accidentally pulled the 600’s off their heads, thinking they were still listening to the monitors!
I know them and like them, the 650’s have a bit more top end, which I don’t like, 600’s are way more neutral.
Dave, I haven’t got space for my secondary monitors, and the mains are too far away to hear properly.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by tea for two »

Here you go

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 11#p788811

Here's my auditioning £3K £2K £1K open back headphones.

Including a £300 open back Reference headphone I have that is fairly near an Outstanding £2.5K open back headphone.
This £300 headphone is so light you will be shocked when you lift them, I almost feel like I'm not wearing them. SoS did a review in 2015.

And a £35 semi open DJ headphone that's more balanced in sound than my Akg K702 and my Beyer 250 Ohm dt880 pro for a variety of genres. So much so that my dt880 pro went to a new home.
tea for two
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Arpangel »

tea for two wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:01 am Here you go

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 11#p788811

Here's my auditioning £3K £2K £1K open back headphones.

Including a £300 open back Reference headphone I have that is fairly near an Outstanding £2.5K open back headphone.
This £300 headphone is so light you will be shocked when you lift them, I almost feel like I'm not wearing them. SOS did a review in 2015.

And a £35 semi open DJ headphone that's more balanced in sound than my Akg K702 and my Beyer 250 Ohm dt880 pro for a variety of genres. So much so that my dt880 pro went to a new home.

The Superlux sound interesting.
At the moment, I’m using Sennheiser HD25’s, they are too claustrophobic, and have a bass boost.
I need to be able to still feel connected to what’s going on around me.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster