Natural sounding headphones.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Natural sounding headphones.

Post by Dynamic Mike »

Grado SR325e (now 'x') are the least occlusive headphones I've ever used. I've no idea how accurate they are though. But then I find HD25's comfortable compared to 702's so I may just have a strange head!
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster
Keeping 2 Chevrons apart

Post by James Perrett »

Arpangel wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:29 am At the moment, I’m using Sennheiser HD25’s, they are too claustrophobic, and have a bass boost.
I need to be able to still feel connected to what’s going on around me.

I was using HD25's before buying the HD600's. They're great when listening for defects (like clicks and dropouts) but the balance is more scooped with enhanced bass and treble. The HD600's are definitely better for mixing and more comfortable if you wear glasses but I still use the HD25's for location recordings for their isolation and the fact that they don't take up much space.
James Perrett
Posts: 14354 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Arpangel »

Dynamic Mike wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:28 pm But then I find HD25's comfortable compared to 702's so I may just have a strange head!

Not as strange as my head.

:D

James Perrett wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:29 pm I was using HD25's before buying the HD600's. They're great when listening for defects (like clicks and dropouts) but the balance is more scooped with enhanced bass and treble. The HD600's are definitely better for mixing and more comfortable if you wear glasses but I still use the HD25's for location recordings for their isolation and the fact that they don't take up much space.

That’s what I bought mine for, outside work, small, light.
They do make things sound larger than life though, I’ve thought "wow"! about some things when using them, and then when I’ve listened on other things it turns to "meh"
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Double posting is getting worse, the submit button doesn’t work, so you do it again, and find out it has.

:think:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by tea for two »

I think it would help when a headphone is recommended it's added for which genres styles.

There's no headphone that covers every genre styles not even the Outstanding £2.5K-£3K Hifiman He1000se I auditioned.

Same as speakers. Same as we would select mics for specific purposes.

::

I think my next port of call is to compare £200-£400 open backs
For a variety of genres styles.

Akg K712
vs
Audio Technica Ath R70x which I have and Mix on. R70x is fairly near the Outstanding £2.5-£3K Hifiman He1000se just R70x is missing some clarity some treble and a little presence, a little separation in comparison to He1000se. R70x is a brilliant all rounder across several genres from complex to subtle to hard to bass heavy, from acoustic to electronic, more so than the Hifiman He1000se.
vs
Grado Sr325e
vs
Sennheiser Hd600
vs
Shure Srh1840.

Also with Sonarworks sound id.

::

*The hidden gem £35 headphones I mentioned is Superlux Evo Hd681 semi open back DJ headphone 32 Ohm 98dB sensitivity.
It does rather well from Orchestral to Hard Rock to Choral to Jazz to World music to Reggae to Electronic to HipHop.
Detachable cable, lightweight.
I prefer Superlux Evo overall balance of sound across several genres styles compared to my open backs Akg k702, Beyer dt880 pro and Philips x2hr bass monster.
Because Superlux Evo easy to drive even from mobile phones they are my go to when outdoors making music on my macbook.
Although I prefer to pair Superlux Evo with a USB DAC amp as my Apogee Groove.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by The Elf »

tea for two wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:12 am*The hidden gem £35 headphones I mentioned is Superlux Evo Hd681

Worth taking a chance at that price - bought.

These might be ideal for location work.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20028 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Arpangel wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:43 am Double posting is getting worse, the submit button doesn’t work, so you do it again, and find out it has.

Clearly, the submit button does work. If it didn't you wouldn't have had a double post.

It can be a little sluggish sometimes, though, particularly when using mobile phones. Try slightly more patience...
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38984 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Arpangel »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:02 pm Try slightly more patience...

I’ll try, but I'm finding cocodomol work better, they help stop the shaking when I press the submit button, I’ve never really been into submission.

:D:D:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ManFromGlass »

Good to hear I’m not the only twitchy fingered one who double posts!
:smirk:
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6672 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by tea for two »

The Elf wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:56 pm
tea for two wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:12 am*The hidden gem £35 headphones I mentioned is Superlux Evo Hd681

I had to get the white ones to pretend I'm a hipster lol.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by ConcertinaChap »

ManFromGlass wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:32 pm Good to hear I’m not the only twitchy fingered one who double posts!
:smirk:

{Listen, don't mention Delete. I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it all right}
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12935 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Post by The Elf »

The Elf wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:56 pm

Gottem!

A bit hyped in the highs/lows (lows especially), as if a 'loudness' curve was switched in, but not bad at all for the money. Thanks for the steer! :thumbup:
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Sam Spoons »

No idea how they will sound but I've just bought a pair of these https://www.status.co/products/betweenpro triple driver, 12 hours battery etc. and got a pair of these free https://www.status.co/products/coreanc. £101 in total with VAT etc so unless they're really poor I'll not be grumbling.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19704 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by James Perrett »

Sam, they're Bluetooth. Bluetooth can't handle uncompressed audio so you're going to be listening to data reduced audio. Probably fine for casual listening but not for serious work.
James Perrett
Posts: 14354 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Sam Spoons »

Yeah, I did know that, I'll take wired for critical listening anytime but if they can deliver better sound than my Apple Airpods I'll be a happy bunny (the Airpods are pretty good as ear buds go but something a bit 'weightier' would be nice).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19704 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Vlaaing Peerd »

Bob Bickerton wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:53 am I used to use HD650s but found they were a little 'tight' on my head. For long sessions, I'm also after comfort. These days I use Beyer DT880s, which I find very comfortable, suitably neutral - well let me explain - they have a bit of a HF lift - but that helps my ageing ears.

I have the HD650 and recently bought the DT880. Am I the only one finding these DT880's to be incredibly harsh?

They are absolutely good for detecting problems with transients, resonances and ...erh whistle tones (is that good English?), but I find them very fatiguing for longer sessions. In that regard the HD650 is a lot more mellow.

I must say I never really got the hang of mixing on headphones. I think they are good for details in panning and reverb, but I always find I need to adjust a lot on EQ, levels and dynamics as soon as I turn on the monitors.
Vlaaing Peerd
Poster
Posts: 59 Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:00 am Location: Groningen, Netherworld
who is Kees and why is he so special?

Post by The Elf »

Vlaaing Peerd wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:34 am I must say I never really got the hang of mixing on headphones. I think they are good for details in panning and reverb, but I always find I need to adjust a lot on EQ, levels and dynamics as soon as I turn on the monitors.

But which mix translates better?
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Arpangel »

Vlaaing Peerd wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:34 am
I have the HD650 and recently bought the DT880. Am I the only one finding these DT880's to be incredibly harsh?

They are absolutely good for detecting problems with transients, resonances and ...erh whistle tones (is that good English?), but I find them very fatiguing for longer sessions. In that regard the HD650 is a lot more mellow.

I think the 650’s are bright, god knows what the 880’s are like!
My faves are still the HD600’s.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Vlaaing Peerd wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:34 am
Bob Bickerton wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:53 am I used to use HD650s but found they were a little 'tight' on my head. For long sessions, I'm also after comfort. These days I use Beyer DT880s, which I find very comfortable, suitably neutral - well let me explain - they have a bit of a HF lift - but that helps my ageing ears.

I don't have the 880s but I've got 770s and 990s and, according to sonarworks, they all have a similar family sound. They've certainly got a high frequency lift, and I'd call them bright, but I wouldn't have said harsh.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24583 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Aled Hughes »

New Sennheiser HD 400 Pro look interesting.
I might be looking to change my K712 next year. I can borrow a pair of HD650 to compare, and I might order the HD400 and Austrian Audio Hi-X65 from somewhere with a generous returns policy* to try alongside.

*Do returns policies usually cover headphones? I know they often don’t cover earbuds etc. for hygiene reasons.
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1746 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru