I'm going to rip my whole CD collection.

Discuss the hardware/software tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: I'm going to rip my whole CD collection.

Post by Yearofthegoat »

Yeah, keeping a copy which allows you to retrieve the original rip is the main thing. You'll almost certainly then be able to transcode into whatever future format comes along, even if it takes two steps to do it.
Yearofthegoat
Poster

Post by Chimera »

I’ve taken a different approach. I ripped everything to FLAC and with the cheapness of storage copied to ALAC to utilise in iTunes on a Mac. I would advise ensuring your sound files are backed up. Having the CD as a backup isn’t good enough. Some of my CDs developed glitches and faults after a particularly hot period in the summer. Keep them cool!
Chimera
Regular
Posts: 272 Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:00 am Location: Wirral
Mac Studio Ultra M2
64GB.

Post by Sam Spoons »

It is all being backed up to a second HDD daily during the process. I see no point in ripping to FLAC and converting to ALAC as ALAC can be converted to FLAC and all my playback devices are Apple anyway.

I have had a couple of CD-Rs fail and one commercial CD prove troublesome (I have managed to do a digital transfer of the latter to my Marantz PMD570 from my HHB Burn-It, copied as PCM/WAV to a CF card).
Sam Spoons
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20078 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Yearofthegoat »

Just picking up on the illegality of backing up your discs, technically the only way to replace duff ones is to buy them again, but unfortunately there are lots of discs in my collection that just aren't available any more - new anyway.

Particularly older pressings prior to the loudness wars that prompted so many horrible re-mastered re-issues with squashed dynamic range.

From a moral standpoint, I back up discs that I have bought legitimately and I don't share/give/sell my backup files. They're literally a safety net for my disc collection.
Yearofthegoat
Poster

Post by Kwackman »

Yearofthegoat wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:24 amFrom a moral standpoint, I back up discs that I have bought legitimately and I don't share/give/sell my backup files. They're literally a safety net for my disc collection.

Same here. All CDs I own have been imported into an iTunes library (AIFF/WAV) and I have a back up of that iTunes library in case of HD failure. I still have the CDs. Technically I think I've broken the law by doing that, but I'll take my chances in court!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3270 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.