Best USB Keyboard with MIDI sockets?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Best USB Keyboard with MIDI sockets?

Post by james090 »

I am looking for a USB Keyboard that also has MIDI sockets to drive external MIDI gear (sampler).

I did think about a cheap USB to MIDI in/out cable (which I could still do) but then thought of turning to a USB keyboard with MIDI as a step up?

I have done a quick search and saw that most are now just USB based, but the Arturia KeyStep is one with both MIDI and USB for hardware and software.

Are there any other good recommendations to marry software and drive older hardware?

Thank you!
james090
Regular

Re: Best USB Keyboard with MIDI sockets?

Post by Sam Spoons »

AFAIK a USB to MIDI I/O cable will not work with a USB controller keyboard, only with a computer or standalone USB host of some kind (Kenton used to do something of the kind).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19722 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by james090 »

Sam Spoons wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:26 pm AFAIK a USB to MIDI I/O cable will not work with a USB controller keyboard, only with a computer or standalone USB host of some kind (Kenton used to do something of the kind).

Yes sorry i should have explained, I could just get a USB to MIDI I/O cable as a simple I/O interface, 'or' move up a little to a keyboard, with built in MIDI (as well as a USB controller) so its all in one
james090
Regular

Post by The Elf »

Roland A-500 Pro.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20040 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Sam Spoons »

james090 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:28 pm
Sam Spoons wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:26 pm AFAIK a USB to MIDI I/O cable will not work with a USB controller keyboard, only with a computer or standalone USB host of some kind (Kenton used to do something of the kind).

Yes sorry i should have explained, I could just get a USB to MIDI I/O cable as a simple I/O interface, 'or' move up a little to a keyboard, with built in MIDI (as well as a USB controller) so its all in one

:thumbup: I assumed you had wanted to connect the keyboard directly to the midi device. FWIW I had a Keystep briefly, I'm no keyboard player but have always hated mini keys. I thought it worth one more try as a portable rig but it wasn't to be so it went back. In every other way the Keystep was a great little keyboard with some excellent features but I just couldn't get on with the keys...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19722 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by ef37a »

https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-an ... VQQAvD_BwE

Don't know about "best" James but that is only 80 quid. Controller kbds with a MIDI port* are getting very rare it seems? Looking at M-Audio, Roland and Akai fairly quickly found none. In fact there seems to be a 'generic' rear panel layout that most companies use and then 'badge' the box!

I have an Evolution Ekeys 49 controller I bought years ago and that does have a DIN out as well as USB but the latest Evolution products (looking JUST like M-Audio, di da) have dropped the 5 pin port.

*You are unlikely to find a MIDI 'IN' on a controller because they have no 'sounds' of their own to trigger. But then I know little about MIDI and keys!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16534 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by OneWorld »

james090 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:19 pm I am looking for a USB Keyboard that also has MIDI sockets to drive external MIDI gear (sampler).

I did think about a cheap USB to MIDI in/out cable (which I could still do) but then thought of turning to a USB keyboard with MIDI as a step up?

I have done a quick search and saw that most are now just USB based, but the Arturia KeyStep is one with both MIDI and USB for hardware and software.

Are there any other good recommendations to marry software and drive older hardware?

Thank you!

One of these maybe? M Audio Oxygen 61 USB MIDI? And I think the M-Audio Keystation series are highly regarding keyboards
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by zenguitar »

ef37a wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:09 am *You are unlikely to find a MIDI 'IN' on a controller because they have no 'sounds' of their own to trigger. But then I know little about MIDI and keys!

Dave.

A quick glance at the rear of my Arturia Keylab 49 reveals a 5pin DIN MIDI In Socket.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12558 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by ef37a »

zenguitar wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:04 am
ef37a wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:09 am *You are unlikely to find a MIDI 'IN' on a controller because they have no 'sounds' of their own to trigger. But then I know little about MIDI and keys!

Dave.

A quick glance at the rear of my Arturia Keylab 49 reveals a 5pin DIN MIDI In Socket.

Andy :beamup:

Hi Andy (always one isn't there!) it seems the Keylab 49 is a MIDI to USB interface as well as a keyboard? It is also described as a "synthersizer" so maybe it has internal oscillators?

Some keyboards are full blown audio interfaces as well, the lines are a bit blurred. I was just giving the OP a bit of caveat whatsit!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16534 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by PeterRees11 »

My NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk2 has MIDI in and out sockets. Great keyboard, but most of the advanced functionality (scales, arp, chords) is reserved for NKS instruments.
PeterRees11
New here

Post by Martin Walker »

Yep, the key here (see what I did?) is that these controllers have USB interfaces that you can plug into a computer, and so it's useful for them to offer an additional MIDI input so that you can plug another keyboard into them and get both the controller MIDI data and that external MIDI data into your computer.

I've got 5-pin DIN MIDI In, Out and Thru sockets on my Novation 25SL MkII controller for this purpose.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20639 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Humble Bee »

You might want to look into one of these devices. It will give you midi I/O from any USB keyboard.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/kenton_midi_u ... 9&reload=1
Humble Bee
Regular
Posts: 395 Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:00 am Location: Cloughton Newlands

Post by Yearofthegoat »

The Elf wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:55 pm Roland A-500 Pro.

Yep. I have the smaller A300 which is USB and midi/midi through via the proper midi sockets. It's okay keys-wise but not the best. But then it didn't cost very much.
Yearofthegoat
Poster

Post by MarkOne »

Yearofthegoat wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:17 am It's okay keys-wise but not the best. But then it didn't cost very much.

To be honest I think that's true of pretty much all MIDI controllers to some degree. Even the expensive NI ones!

I thought this was me imagining this, and that I was remembering DX7 and D50 playability through rose coloured glasses, so I was surprised to find a couple of years ago a friend had got his D50 out of storage for a project, and he let me have a little play one night. And Good grief! Yes it was as lovely to play as I remember. My Novation feels like a toy in comparison (has to be said that my much more modern Roland keyboards don't cover themselves in glory in this regard either!). The nicest action synth I own now is the Moog Sub 37.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2742 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify