New Mac, NI Complete Ultimate, Native Access nightmare. Help.

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

New Mac, NI Complete Ultimate, Native Access nightmare. Help.

Post by Guest »

Hi Guys,

I'm really hoping one of you guys might have gone through this seemingly easy process:

Got a new Mac, want to install NI Complete Ultimate, already have the huge number of GBs worth of content on an external SSD.

So I install Native Access, point it at the content and it says I have nothing installed. It seems to want me to download everything again.

So I think well you can setup most the content in Kontakt, so I go to Kontakt to the bit where you set the content and it re-directs me to Native Access as they have taken out that useful functionality.

From a look on the internet the only info I can find is basically saying that I have to download everything again, and then install it over the existing content on the SSD, total madness!

Anyone know how to get round this?

Cheers

Andy

Re: New Mac, NI Complete Ultimate, Native Access nightmare. Help.

Post by OneWorld »

[ACCOUNT DELETED] wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:12 pm Hi Guys,

I'm really hoping one of you guys might have gone through this seemingly easy process:

Got a new Mac, want to install NI Complete Ultimate, already have the huge number of GBs worth of content on an external SSD.

So I install Native Access, point it at the content and it says I have nothing installed. It seems to want me to download everything again.

So I think well you can setup most the content in Kontakt, so I go to Kontakt to the bit where you set the content and it re-directs me to Native Access as they have taken out that useful functionality.

From a look on the internet the only info I can find is basically saying that I have to download everything again, and then install it over the existing content on the SSD, total madness!

Anyone know how to get round this?

Cheers

Andy

I guess you already considered this, but just in case not, it isn't the installer you have to download which when run then gives you the option of where to install/download from?

It is so long since I installed Komplete and the thought of re-installing it is one of the reasons I have put off updating my Win10 machine to Win11, the tortuous install
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Post by rACed2 »

Can you possibly “reinstall” from a time machine backup of your old machine?
rACed2
Regular
Organ, synth’s x2 Not enough time or talent.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the replies guys.

OneWorld wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:35 am I guess you already considered this, but just in case not, it isn't the installer you have to download which when run then gives you the option of where to install/download from?

Yep, this is what "Native Access" is, the installer for the content and other NI products. They do do individual installers for the content but they contain all the content if you see what I mean :)

rACed2 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:33 am Can you possibly “reinstall” from a time machine backup of your old machine?

Well this was the way forward, I searched for moving NI Content and found some info on editing the plist files for each install if you wanted to move content on a machine with everything already installed. There is a NI plist file for every one of their products that needs editing. I had moved the content from a Samsung T5 to a Faster SSD, so I have to change the volume name for each one, seems like a plan.

So I go and grab one of the plist files from a backup of the old machine. The articles all have the plist files as text but NI have changed that to use binary ones, I guess to try to stop people doing this. Xcode allows editing of binary plist files though, so I edit the file with Xcode, this requires editing the file before copying to library as you can not then edit it there even with r/w permissions (Thanks Big Sur), then copy it as root to library and it worked, Native Access and Kontakt could now see the content :)

So I think, ok I will write a bit of code to automate this process, bit of a pain but better than waiting a week for it all to download.

Next I got all the relevant plist files from the backup and start thinking about writing the code and wonder what happens if I just directly copy one of the plist files. I do just that, open up Native Access and now it sees the install but says it is missing and a relocate button has magically appeared, I click it choose the correct folder and bang it has worked.

So I then just copy all the plist files with the plan of relocating each one manually, start up Native Access and magically a "Relocate All" button has appeared, clicked that and everything works.

Why NI don't give Native Access the ability to just install the plist file rather than having to install everything is anyones guess.

Cheers guys and thanks.