How do I record my Guitar using Load Box (Boss Waza tae) and IR

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

How do I record my Guitar using Load Box (Boss Waza tae) and IR

Post by Leanderton »

Hello dear Fellas,

I am relatively new to recording, started at the beginning of the last year and learned some basic's since then. I have a problem on how I record my guitar in a proper way. I am living in a flat so I was looking after a way on how to record and play my Guitar at a proper volume. The solution was a load box, the Boss Waza Tube Amp Expander, in which i am able to record myself through two XLR cables right into my interface. I watched many videos on how to record like that and how to get a good sound but unfortunately there wasn't a solution. The Guitar sounds way of from what I experienced with my cab. The sound is kinda muffled, muddy, too low, not very articulated and quite dirty.

Now here is my Setup and signal chain:
Guitar: Strandberg Boden Metal
--> Pedals: Volume and Wah Pedal
--> Amp: PRS Archon 100w (50w switch)
--> Load Box: Boss Waza Tube Amp expander
--> Interface: Artura Audiofuse Studio
--> DAW: Studio one 5

--> After that I use my Linn Intek Amp and then the signal goes into my HIFI Boxes (Build from my father and his best friend. The quality is top notch!)

Now here is what I have already done or tried:
- I tried every little tweaker from the Amp EQ, to the Boss Waza settings.
- Played with all the different gain tweakers. I tried to set the gain as low as possible without loosing to much sound.
- Different headphones
- EQ the guitar (works a little bit but doesn't solve the issue)
- compressor
- watched a thousand of YouTube videos with topics like: how to record with IR, how to record with load box, how to get a nice metal tone and so on and so forth...

I am very new to the forum and if my question is kinda silly, please explain me why. Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Leanderton
Leanderton

Re: How do I record my Guitar using Load Box (Boss Waza tae) and IR

Post by Moroccomoose »

Hi Leanderton,

Does your load box have a cabinet emulation option? That is to essentally EQ the output to mimic the effect of the physical characteristic of the cabinet.

If this option is not there, then an impulse responce reverb might help.

To use this, you will need a reverb vst that will host an 'impulse responce' often called a 'covolution reverb'. You will also need an impulse file, which is wav file that stores the desired characteristic. (It sounds like nonsense to listen to, but it is a coded responce that the vst can understand).

A search on 'Cabinet IR files' (Impulse Responce files) will soon yeild a number of free and paid options. Typically you will find things like single speakers, twin cabs, 4cabs and stacks to choose from. Likewise for the convolution vst itself.

Add this vst into your guitar track that is recording the load box output.

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular
Posts: 473 Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:00 am Location: Leicester

Post by Murray B »

Welcome to the forum :D

I can understand your frustration because on paper you should be able to record a decent guitar sound. It's really hard to describe sound - is there any chance you can upload an audio clip of the recorded guitar (google drive / soundcloud etc) and then post a link to it here. It will be easier to help if other folks can hear what's going on.

There are a lot of settings available in the Boss Unit (Unfortunately I have never used one) What are the settings that you have active within the unit when you are recording?

My generic advice would be that a lot of more heavy distorted tones are best recorded less distorted than you think and with less low end than sounds nice in isolation. Also don't rule out the difference that the room makes when listening to your real amp. As well as your recording, it would be helpful also if you can post a link to a reference tone - what sound are you looking to achieve?
Murray B
Regular
Posts: 393 Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Staffordshire

Post by The Elf »

Not a direct answer to your question per se, but if you're just starting out with recording it might be worth investing in one of these all-in-one pedals that will handle the amp/cab simulation for you. Some will also act as your audio interface.

My favourite is the Line 6 Helix (even the humble Stomp would do the job), which includes cabinet responses (and will let you load your own choice of responses), but there are older devices that that might suit you; the Digitech RP-500, for example, is very cheap secondhand and includes a switchable speaker simulation output mode (though it's not based on cabinet impulse responses). Another excellent little device is the Zoom MS-50G, which includes amp/cabinet modelling and is surprisingly good for the pocket money it costs. The ultra-humble Digitech RP-55 (of which I am a huge fan - bought mine for 50p!) also features cabinet modelling.

You can still use your pedals with any of the above, though once you try one you may begin to question having separate pedals at all.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20022 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Murray B »

Just had a quick google of your audio interface - it looks very fancy - what input settings are you using on this?

I'm wondering if the signal is clipping on the way in.

Have you tried using the USB output on the Boss? Does it sound any different?
Murray B
Regular
Posts: 393 Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Staffordshire

Post by Moroccomoose »

I just looked at the website for the Bozz WAZA. It looks like a nice unit. It seems you can import impulse responses into it. And it'll probably have some pre loaded...

I think you need to set aside some really good 'manual time' and sit and work through it methodically to fully understand the unit's features. To some, boring, I know, but the pay off will make you smile!

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular
Posts: 473 Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:00 am Location: Leicester

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Given the description of the sound I'm wondering if you've got two sets of cabinet emulation going on somewhere.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24563 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by The Elf »

As above - sounds like the pedal you already own may be pretty much what I was describing (I have no knowledge of that pedal).

Time for you to learn what it can do!
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20022 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by merlyn »

Leanderton wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:27 pm --> Amp: PRS Archon 100w (50w switch)
--> Load Box: Boss Waza Tube Amp expander

Just checking -- you use the speaker outs?

- I tried every little tweaker from the Amp EQ, to the Boss Waza settings.

Are you using the software to do this? There is an app to access more 'tweakers' than are available on the front panel.

- Played with all the different gain tweakers. I tried to set the gain as low as possible without loosing to much sound.

To get distortion (a metal tone) you'll need gain in the preamp. The idea of a load box is that you can use a lot of gain to get distortion, but control the overall output level.
merlyn
Frequent Poster
It ain't what you don't know. It's what you know that ain't so.