Bad sounding microphone

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Bad sounding microphone

Post by Carl Toft »

I have a Behringer XM8500 mic and a cheap M-Audio M-Track Solo, audio interface. My mic is currently sitting on my table I am planning to use a mic arm and a popfilter+ shockmount.

All my friends say that my mic sounds terrible even when I have the mic close to my mouth. I am using it with discord only right now.

Are there any fixes or something I can do? If not what should i buy to get better sound?
Carl Toft

Re: Bad sounding microphone

Post by resistorman »

It would be best to record a sample, put it up on SoundCloud, and post a link so we can hear what's going on. Terrible sound can mean many things.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Re: Bad sounding microphone

Post by Wonks »

The XM8500 needs the treble boosting by 6dB or so and the bass reducing by a similar amount and then it can sound very similar to an SM58 when used close-up. But it isn't a very balanced sounding microphone without using EQ.

It's not a mic designed to be used with a pop filter. It's a hand-held stage mic. To get a pop filter to work, the filter needs to be several inches away from the mic and several inches away from the mouth, by which time you've got a very low level signal and you've lost the bass boost from the proximity effect.

What do you actually want to do with the mic? Record, or podcast?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.