Mid-side process problem.

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Mid-side process problem.

Post by nothingness »

I've been struggling with the mid-side process. Someone recommended me a Youtube video and I gave it a shot.

https://youtu.be/lAKE7a4ovuY

The thing is that the mid issue was solved and the stereo field has gone after that. This is pain in the ass. How could you solve it?
nothingness

Re: Mid-side process problem.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

nothingness wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:05 pmThe thing is that the mid issue was solved and the stereo field has gone after that. This is pain in the ass. How could you solve it?

I'm not going to sit through a 15 minute video just to try and reverse engineer what your 'mid issue' was or why your stereo field has gone.

Could you explain what exactly you're trying to achieve, what you've done to achieve it, and what the problem actually is?

That said, as a general rule when processing in the MS format a reduced stereo image width is normally due to the Side signal being attenuated excessively relative to the Mid signal -- either globally, or at specific key frequencies.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39053 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by jimjazzdad »

I use mid-side quite a bit. I assume you are talking about recording with mid-side? There are some basic processes - use mics of similar tonal quality; always orient the figure 8 mic (side) so that the 'positive' side (usually the one with the pattern icon or the maker's badge) faces LEFT. Memorize the formula: L=S+M and R= -S+M. You can decode with a mixer or the recorder's hardware, or in your DAW using a plug-in. Vogengo's free plug-in is highly recommended. It is also useful for mastering stereo tracks that are narrow. If you're still lost, please give a specific example of your issue.
jimjazzdad
Regular
Halifax, NS, CANADA

Post by nothingness »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:16 pm
nothingness wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:05 pmThe thing is that the mid issue was solved and the stereo field has gone after that. This is pain in the ass. How could you solve it?

I'm not going to sit through a 15 minute video just to try and reverse engineer what your 'mid issue' was or why your stereo field has gone.

Could you explain what exactly you're trying to achieve, what you've done to achieve it, and what the problem actually is?

That said, as a general rule when processing in the MS format a reduced stereo image width is normally due to the Side signal being attenuated excessively relative to the Mid signal -- either globally, or at specific key frequencies.

You are right. Since I turn off the side channel that I put down, the stereo image has been better. Thank you!
nothingness

Post by nothingness »

jimjazzdad wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:39 am I use mid-side quite a bit. I assume you are talking about recording with mid-side? There are some basic processes - use mics of similar tonal quality; always orient the figure 8 mic (side) so that the 'positive' side (usually the one with the pattern icon or the maker's badge) faces LEFT. Memorize the formula: L=S+M and R= -S+M. You can decode with a mixer or the recorder's hardware, or in your DAW using a plug-in. Vogengo's free plug-in is highly recommended. It is also useful for mastering stereo tracks that are narrow. If you're still lost, please give a specific example of your issue.

Well, I use only virtaual instruments and don't have so many hardwares. The issue has come with stereo rhythm guitar and chorus parts.
nothingness

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

nothingness wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:04 amYou are right. Since I turn off the side channel that I put down, the stereo image has been better. Thank you!

:thumbup: Funny how that works... :D
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39053 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual...