Wiring Dual Female XLR to Single Male XLR for stereo signal

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Wiring Dual Female XLR to Single Male XLR for stereo signal

Post by nwns »

Hi All

As per title, I want to create some connectors to allow me to connect 2xXLR to one single XLR to pass stereo down one cable for IEMs. Am I going to see issues with Balanced to Unbalanced bearing in mind it's just for headphone monitoring on stage? Do I just wire the females from PIN 1 and Ground only and then one goes to Pin 1 to Pin 1 and the other Pin 1 to Pin 2? Shared ground.

Thanks

Pete
nwns
Poster

Re: Wiring Dual Female XLR to Single Male XLR for stereo signal

Post by Sam Spoons »

Where are you sending the signal from? And is it going to a headphone amp or straight to the cans?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19730 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by nwns »

From Aux sends to a Behringer PM1 box (passive)
nwns
Poster

Post by ef37a »

So Pete, you have left and right signals present on 2 XLRs and they are balanced* and you want to pass an unbalanced L/R signal down a 2 core cable? Not a problem AFAICS. Just take pin 2 as the hot signal for each channel and pin 1 as the common/shield. Make no connection to pin 3 from the source.

You might encounter a ground loop issue but that can be dealt with if it arises.

* "balanced" can be two 'oop' op amps or 'impedance' balanced and leaving pin 3 disse'd is the way to go. In the very unlikely event that the two sources are a floating transformer secondary you will need to tie pin 3 to screen.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16542 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by nwns »

Thank you, I'll get out the soldering iron :-)
nwns
Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

The PM1 expects to see a stereo unbalanced feed from a headphone amp, it has no amplifier onboard. That may work driven from the aux's on the desk (I know it may 'cos I've tried it) but, depending on the desk you may find you have insufficient volume and you may also damage the aux output. What desk is it?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19730 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by shufflebeat »

Sam Spoons wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:41 pm What desk is it?

And does it have a headphone output?
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9104 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Wonks »

The PM1 is basically a stereo attenuator box, so you can set a high output signal from a headphone output and adjust it yourself locally. You'd typically use a TRS to XLR lead from a headphone output to the PM1.

The P1 may be the unit you are looking for, with two XLR inputs to take L&R Aux sends (or a single send in mono mode) and a battery to power the built-in headphone amp.

Or possibly the P2 with a single XLR/TRS input which accepts unbalanced stereo or balanced mono signals (mono/stereo switch is internal on this).

All basic details for the three models available on this Amazon page.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BEHRINGER-POWE ... KXRMK?th=1
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by nwns »

It's an XR18 and it only has a single headphone output. I already have the PM1s and didn't really want to buy more, probably should do I guess....
nwns
Poster

Post by shufflebeat »

The P2 set to stun... I mean stereo unbalanced should suffice, might even be possible to split the (same) mix signal for other users.

An adaptor (short TRSm¼"-XLRm lead) should enable you to use mic leads to connect your headphone output to P2.

Engage limiter on output. I do this by setting up an aux send with suitable limiting and solo-ing that output so it shows up on headphones.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9104 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Mike Stranks »

A 'Dismal Jimmy' writes...

The OPs intended wiring was wrong - Pin 1 in an XLR is the Ground... but Dave's put him straight on that...

... But isn't wiring 2:1 generally considered a 'bad idea' unless you put in some buffering components to mitigate again against signal creep back into the source device?

These days I always use a specific buffering box designed cleanly to merge two inputs to one output.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Wonks »

Mike Stranks wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:45 pm
... But isn't wiring 2:1 generally considered a 'bad idea' unless you put in some buffering components to mitigate again against signal creep back into the source device?

Yes, but in this case the Behringer PM1's XLR is there to provide a locking connector for a TRS (headphone) output to the PM1's XLR input. So the XLR is set up for one side of an unbalanced stereo signal on pin 2 and the other side on pin 3, with pin 1 as a common ground. It is not set up to receive a single balanced input with a differential signal on pins 2 and 3.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Mike Stranks »

Wonks wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:05 pm
Mike Stranks wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:45 pm

Yes, but in this case the Behringer PM1's XLR is there to provide a locking connector for a TRS (headphone) output to the PM1's XLR input. So the XLR is set up for one side of an unbalanced stereo signal on pin 2 and the other side on pin 3, with pin 1 as a common ground. It is not set up to receive a single balanced input with a differential signal on pins 2 and 3.

Thanks Wonks. Gotcha! :thumbup:

So... non-standard wiring... and a potential 'oops' for those who see an XLR socket and think, "Ah! So that must be..." :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster