How do they get their waveforms so BEEG!?!

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: How do they get their waveforms so BEEG!?!

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I vaguely remember a DBX system that installed an expander into the replay chain from a vinyl record player, and used specially DBX-encoded (compressed) vinyl discs.

When set up correctly it definitely enhanced the dynamic range and reduced surface noise considerably... but it was prone to terrible mistracking and loud clicks became REALLY LOUD! :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by James Perrett »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:48 am Give it another few years, but there'll be numerous AI plugins for rebuilding dynamic range into legacy digital recordings soon... mark my words! :lol:

Ray Dolby invented a very effective gadget for doing this back in the 1960's ;)

And I also have dBX 117 continuously variable expander/compressor here which could serve a similar purpose though I haven't actually switched it on for many years.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

The trouble is that the analogue inventions of Dobley and XBD requires the source material to have at least some dynamic variation which can be increased. CDs of the last 20 years have no dynamic range at all... hence the need for some form of AI that can work out what the original source instruments should have sounded like! :D
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Post by FrankF »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:32 pm The trouble is that the analogue inventions of Dobley and XBD...

This Dobley chap, was he a vicar by any chance?
FrankF
Regular
Posts: 450 Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:00 am Location: La Vendée, France

Post by James Perrett »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:32 pm The trouble is that the analogue inventions of Dobley and XBD requires the source material to have at least some dynamic variation which can be increased. CDs of the last 20 years have no dynamic range at all... hence the need for some form of AI that can work out what the original source instruments should have sounded like! :D

It is amazing how well it can work on some material though. I was inspired to try it after listening to some old undecoded mixes and thinking they sounded similar to modern highly compressed mixes. If it makes old mixes sound new, I wondered what happens to a new mix when decoded? It certainly seems to give a compressed mix a bit more breathing space.
James Perrett

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

:thumbup::D
Hugh Robjohns

Post by Yearofthegoat »

The past few CDs I've bought have been original 'un-re-mastered' ones (via Discogs, due to usually good info about the CD versions), deliberately to get the proper dynamic range.

Problem is, the discs are older and eventually there won't be any playable ones left.

Maybe there's a market for a de-re-masterer/decompressor?!
Yearofthegoat
Poster

Post by RichardT »

I wonder if the big record companies archive their pre-masters? That would be a great thing!
RichardT
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4074 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by tea for two »

ulrichburke wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:29 am

So I thought 'Ah, mysterious mastering....' but it doesn't SOUND any louder than mine. It's just massively FATTER. Anyway. Downloaded the stems for a remix contest and THEY'RE all massively fatter than my waveforms.

How the heck are they getting waveforms that massive without being so mega-loud they're clipping like a hairdresser on speed? Does it matter that mine aren't that massive, considering they're objectively as loud? (Or seem to be!) And why do they go for getting them that massive, considering they don't seem to be any louder? What's all the brick-like massiveness achieving?

Sorry for 3 questions, just am not getting it.

Yours puzzledly

Chris.

Hi there Chris

Trend went from Loudness wars of 90s-late 2k, towards Phatness in this past decade.

As popular music streaming music became more Beatz oriented, the trend went towards Phatness.

As more people listen from their Phones, the trend continued towards what would sound Massive from Phones onto Headphones : Not loud as that might damage ear.

It's also because they are targetting a younger audience.

::

Aside from Plugins as Presonus Fat Channel XT, Fabfilter Pro Q, the Sausage Fattener lol, CamelPhat.

Can also increase Resonance with a filter to give some massiveness.

::

One of the more straightforward ways of getting a Massive, Phat mix :
choice of Sounds, Arrangement, Dynamics when playing, Eq.

This is how I do it. I like Deepness, Presence in my mixes that don't have drums nor bass.
Some may say this is Massive Phat, it's just what Sounds I select, how I Put them together in a piece, where in the Frequency range I play different parts of the piece, the Dynamics in how im playing, then very lastly Eq only if required.

Where the piece has Drum and Bass, I'm selective with how I select the tone of the Drum and the Bass then tone them more within context of the key, arrangement, other sounds, to give them Presence, Deepness.

I like Bass with oomph depending on what type of piece yet not boomy pillowy as that takes away Presence, Deepness.
I don't like overblown mids as this sounds bloated to me and takes away Presence, Deepness.
I don't like shrill highs as this hurts my ears. This can make a piece sound weedy if there's too much highs. With Vocalists, Sample vocals that are high, I will balance this with sounds, arrangements that are in the midlow.
I don't like every instrument or nearly every instrument pushed forward continually as that muddies the mix to me and takes away from Presence, Deepness.
tea for two
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by James Perrett »

RichardT wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:14 am I wonder if the big record companies archive their pre-masters? That would be a great thing!

Yes, the record companies will usually have everything in their archive (provided it hasn't been destroyed in one of the famous fires over years). For a major re-release project I would expect to be given the multitracks, original masters, rough mixes, alternate mixes and then the final production masters for vinyl (and sometimes other formats too).

Some labels made a concerted effort to digitise all the masters that were used for releases but, as I understand it, there is still much that hasn't been digitised.
James Perrett

Post by James Perrett »

Yearofthegoat wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:26 am Problem is, the discs are older and eventually there won't be any playable ones left.

CD's don't deteriorate unless they are mistreated. The old marketing claim of "Perfect Sound Forever" seems to have been borne out in practice. Even 25 year old CD-R's are still perfectly playable if they've been kept out of the light.
James Perrett

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

James Perrett wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:39 pm
Yearofthegoat wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:26 am Problem is, the discs are older and eventually there won't be any playable ones left.

CD's don't deteriorate unless they are mistreated. The old marketing claim of "Perfect Sound Forever" seems to have been borne out in practice.

I'm not sure I'd say that as an absolute, but I've certainly got CDs from 1983 that are still perfectly playable, and CD-Rs from the early 1990s likewise.

However, I also have a small handful of CDs and CD-Rs that have failed.

The CDs are all early ones. Some were printed with inks which attacked the sealing lacquer resulting in oxidation and tarnishing of the reflecting layer. Others had the reflecting layer going right to the edges, and imperfect sealing resulted in oxidation again. These discs look bronze rather than silver.

I've ditched the duff CD-Rs, but they generally failed because the organic chemical used for the dye layer wasn't stable and deteriorated.
Hugh Robjohns