Strymon Big Sky issues.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Strymon Big Sky issues.

Post by Arpangel »

Yes, another problem.
I’m powering my Big Sky from an MXR Isobrick, the Strymon PSU broke.
Strymon say that the BS needs at least 300ma, my MXR gives out 450ma max. The Strymon PSU is rated at 650ma.
The trouble is the BS keeps cutting out, I can hear the relay tripping, and then, no audio, until I turn it off, then on again.
Also, the blue light on the socket that powers the Big Sky on the Isobrick has gone out, which is strange.
The BS is now unusable, I’ve ordered a Strymon PSU, it’s coming today, I’m hoping this will cure the problem.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Strymon Big Sky issues.

Post by Wonks »

There may be a problem within the Strymon itself. A 450mA supply should be more than enough for a 300mA device. The blue light going out on the MXR indicates a short circuit or significant overload.

It may be that if you've got all the outputs on the MXR connected and drawing a lot of current, then the total load is more than the MXR can provide. Not straightforward to calculate as you've got different voltage outputs and variable voltage outputs, so you can't just add up the load mA, you need to convert everything into W. It can supply a maximum of 31.8W in total.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Arpangel »

Wonks wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:49 am There may be a problem within the Strymon itself. A 450mA supply should be more than enough for a 300mA device. The blue light going out on the MXR indicates a short circuit or significant overload.

It may be that if you've got all the outputs on the MXR connected and drawing a lot of current, then the total load is more than the MXR can provide. Not straightforward to calculate as you've got different voltage outputs and variable voltage outputs, so you can't just add up the load mA, you need to convert everything into W. It can supply a maximum of 31.8W in total.

Thanks, total is 550ma including my other pedals plugged into the MXR.
You mention a short circuit, even though the blue light is out on the MXR, the Big Sky still powers up.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

New Strymon PSU arrived, all is well, no problems.
The light on the MXR is still out, I guess that output is dead.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster