Spectralayers SL8 + iZotope RX9

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Spectralayers SL8 + iZotope RX9

Post by Fishnish »

I've been using RX7 Standard for a couple of years. Mainly for cleanng up random hums, buzzes, clicks bumps and nasty string squeaks on guitar tracks. Also for bits of restoring older recordings + using the rebalance tool for, err, rebalancing, + occasional stripping out of a vocal etc.

This being the offer season, I've currently got options on an upgrade to RX9 Std and also on Spectralayers SL8 Pro. My research so far is indicating that although both look similar at first glance and can perform similar duties, they they take somewhat different paths to get there. As a Cubase user SL8 would appear to offer some advantages with respect to ARA integration etc which I don't think is the case with RX/Cubase? The RX approach with a suite of plugins aimed at specific tasks I find quite user friendly and RX 9 I think has a couple more of these that I'd find useful, but leaving the Cubase environment to use the spectral editor etc is sometimes a bit faffy.

Is there anyone here who has used either or both who would care to share any insights as to their relative merits? There's a demo of SL available, so I can try that of course, but I find it's also often helpful to hear from people who have actually used the stuff for a bit.
Fishnish
Regular

Re: Spectralayers SL8 + iZotope RX9

Post by James Perrett »

Although I'm using RX more and more, I still like having the option of an alternative (Audition 3 in my case) as I find some processes work better in Audition while others are better in RX.
James Perrett
Posts: 14354 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Spectralayers SL8 + iZotope RX9

Post by Fishnish »

James Perrett wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:46 pm Although I'm using RX more and more, I still like having the option of an alternative (Audition 3 in my case) as I find some processes work better in Audition while others are better in RX.

That's kind of where I am just now- I can do most of what I want with RX7 but wonder if maybe there are a few things which could be be done better either with RX9 or with a similar but different approach, perhaps SL8 . I'm going to download the SL demo tomorrow and see if it plugs any of those gaps.
Fishnish
Regular