One sided waveforms?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

One sided waveforms?

Post by Arpangel »

I’m regularly getting waveforms in Reaper that are constantly one sided, like I only see the lower part of a waveform, with little above that.
Is this something to do with DC offset issues? I seem to remember reading about this somewhere, but can’t remember.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: One sided waveforms?

Post by Mike Stranks »

Music? Voice? If music which instrument(s)?

An image/screenshot would be useful...

Assymetric waveforms are not at all uncommon and usually nothing to do with DCO... there are regular discussions here - including just last week iirc.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Mike Stranks wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:57 am Music? Voice? If music which instrument(s)?

An image/screenshot would be useful...

Assymetric waveforms are not at all uncommon and usually nothing to do with DCO... there are regular discussions here - including just last week iirc.

Anything, any sound, sometimes the waveform is entirely in the positive, or negative.
I’m wondering if there’s some sort of phase cancellation going on, somewhere in the signal chain?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ef37a »

MoooHASSIVE even harmonic distortion Tone!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16542 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Arpangel wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:27 amI’m regularly getting waveforms in Reaper that are constantly one sided, like I only see the lower part of a waveform, with little above that.

There are lots of perfectly natural reasons why this can occur, and it's usually to do with the harmonic composition (and the phase relationships of those harmonics) within the signal.

Asymmetry is very common with voices, brass and simple synthesizer sounds, for example.

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advi ... lop-sided

Is this something to do with DC offset issues?

DC offset issues are extremely rare and the kind of fault condition today that could cause them would be evident in other, more obvious ways.

But if it was a DC offset you would see a decaying waveform settling away from the centre line, whereas an asymmetrical waveform will settle on the line.

My advice, stop looking at the pretty pictures and concentrate more on the lovely sounds....
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39021 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Arpangel wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:28 amI’m wondering if there’s some sort of phase cancellation going on, somewhere in the signal chain?

Some sort of weird phase cancellation that only removes negative half cycles? That's clever! :think::geek:
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Post by Arpangel »

Thanks folks, it’s mainly on accordion, if that helps?

:think:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ef37a »

Arpangel wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:46 pm Thanks folks, it’s mainly on accordion, if that helps?

:think:

Vivre la difference!

I agree with Hugh. 'Pictures' can be off putting and in any case the 'waveforms' you get in DAWs are not 'true' in the sense of that which an 'scope would display (and that would be different for various timebase and trigger/delay settings)

Sound 'pictures' have a place in the home studio but mainly as a diagnostic tool. When son was here making music he would 'experiment' with various gear lashups. Once a week or so I would run a Right Mark Anny test and almost always pickup hums above my -93dBFS baseline noise floor. Some re dressing of mains and audio cables usually restored quietitude.

Dave.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16542 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Arpangel wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:46 pm Thanks folks, it’s mainly on accordion, if that helps?

Think about how the accordion makes its sound, and how that might be conveyed in sound pressure variations....
Hugh Robjohns

Post by Drew Stephenson »

It's almost like physics or something.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24633 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

:ugeek::shh:

There is a difference between a sound engineer and a recording technician. One knows which buttons to press. The other knows what happens when the buttons are pressed! :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Post by Arpangel »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:09 pm

Think about how the accordion makes its sound, and how that might be conveyed in sound pressure variations....

You have got a point there Hugh, my friend explained to me, his accordion has three reeds, which you can switch in and out, that produce different chorusing effects, which may have something to do with it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

No, it doesn't. :think:
Hugh Robjohns

Post by MOF »

There is a difference between a sound engineer and a recording technician. One knows which buttons to press. The other knows what happens when the buttons are pressed! :lol:

No one told me anything about pressing buttons. :lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2264 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by shufflebeat »

Arpangel wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:04 pm
Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:09 pm

You have got a point there Hugh, my friend explained to me, his accordion has three reeds, which you can switch and out, that produce different chorusing effects, which may have something to do with it.

Possible idiot question here but they are my specialty:

Taking this from the "moving air = moving diaphragm" end of the process, are we suggesting that the diaphragm gets pushed away from the resting position and doesn't recover properly to zero?

MOF wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:29 pm
Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:09 pm There is a difference between a sound engineer and a recording technician. One knows which buttons to press. The other knows what happens when the buttons are pressed! :lol:

No one told me anything about pressing buttons. :lol:

i thought that was the difference between an accordion player and an accordion maker.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9104 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Certainly not an idiot question, and one that comes up often.

shufflebeat wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:31 pmTaking this from the "moving air = moving diaphragm" end of the process, are we suggesting that the diaphragm gets pushed away from the resting position and doesn't recover properly to zero?

No, that would be the acoustic equivalent of a DC offset.

If you think of a plucked acoustic guitar string, or a violin, the string vibrations are equal back and forth, so the compressions and rarefactions in the air pressure are balanced. So the waveform captured by a microphone is more or less symmetrical (harmonic phases permitting)

But in air-blown instruments -- voices, brass, accordions etc, the noise generation requires constant positive air pressure so the vibrating reed (etc) will inevitably create stronger compressions (because they are 'power-assisted') than rarefactions (which have to fight against the causation pressure), hence an asymmetrical waveform is produced.

But when the wind stops blowing the vibrating sound enerator decreases and the waveform decays to normal ambient pressure.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by shufflebeat »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:59 pm
If you think of a plucked acoustic guitar string, or a violin, the string vibrations are equal back and forth, so the compressions and rarefactions in the air pressure are balanced. So the waveform captured by a microphone is more or less symmetrical (harmonic phases permitting)

But in air-blown instruments -- voices, brass, accordions etc, the noise generation requires constant positive air pressure so the vibrating reed (etc) will inevitably create stronger compressions (because they are 'power-assisted') than rarefactions (which have to fight against the causation pressure), hence an asymmetrical waveform is produced.

But when the wind stops blowing the vibrating sound enerator decreases and the waveform decays to normal ambient pressure.

Got it. So if I'm understanding correctly that's a similar situation to that which I was describing but happening at the instrument reed rather than the mic diaphragm. Is that what you're suggesting?
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

shufflebeat wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:07 pm So if I'm understanding correctly that's a similar situation to that which I was describing but happening at the instrument reed rather than the mic diaphragm. Is that what you're suggesting?

Yes, I guess so.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by shufflebeat »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:57 pm
shufflebeat wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:07 pm So if I'm understanding correctly that's a similar situation to that which I was describing but happening at the instrument reed rather than the mic diaphragm. Is that what you're suggesting?

Yes, I guess so.

It sometimes seems like numbers and diagrams exist in their own separate reality, particularly when they are describing movement of electrons.

For the relatively innumerate like myself it's reassuring to have a good old imaginary model of wood, metal and air that corresponds clearly with the numbers that represent it.

Much appreciated.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster

Post by Arpangel »

I was just curious, it sounds good, so that’s OK.
:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster