Headphone switcher?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Headphone switcher?

Post by MarkOne »

I’m after a doohickey that can take the headphone output from the mixing desk, and the headphone out from our video streaming setup, and allow me to switch between them. I can see various things on Amazon, but nothing that looks halfway ‘pro’
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2742 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Re: Headphone switcher?

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

You're not going to find anything 'professional' because this isn't something a professional would normally want.

However, there are plenty of unbalanced stereo signal switchers around that you could employ for the purpose, although you may well end up making up special connecting cables.

My preferred approach would be to find a monitor controller with headphone output, or a headphone amp with selectable inputs instead... Something like a Drawmer CMC2 monitor controller or perhaps the SPL Control One, for example.

More expensive than a passive switchbox, obviously, but you'd get much more consistent headphone performance from a good headphone amp, with convenient selection of different sources, useful signal checking facilities thrown in, and easy integration of speaker monitoring too!

Tiz the proper way to do it! :D
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39015 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by MarkOne »

Hugh. Thanks, but somehow that seems like a sledgehammer to crack tiny little nut.

I feel the need to buy some Neutrik socketry, a nice alps rotary switch and an extruded aluminium enclosure, and spend an hour or two in the workshop.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2742 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by resistorman »

MarkOne wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:53 pm Hugh. Thanks, but somehow that seems like a sledgehammer to crack tiny little nut.

I feel the need to buy some Neutrik socketry, a nice alps rotary switch and an extruded aluminium enclosure, and spend an hour or two in the workshop.

You'll probably want to be sure it's a break-before-make switch.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2692 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Folderol »

It should also be a three pole switch.
It's tempting to use something like a standard 2 pole toggle switch for just L and R, and leave the grounds common, but that risks a ground loop (at the least).
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18203 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

MarkOne wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:53 pm Hugh. Thanks, but somehow that seems like a sledgehammer to crack tiny little nut.

Yes, I get that... but don't discount all the benefits without giving it some thought, particular in terms of future upgrades.

Perfectly do-able. As others have said, you will need a three-pole, two way switch that is a break-before-make type. It would be potentially disastrous if the two headphone amps get connected to each other, even momentarily.

And as Mr F says, you should switch the earths as well as the left and right hot connections to avoid potential ground loop problems.

I'd ground the aluminium enclosure to one of the inputs (whichever is most appropriate) to maintain screening, but make sure all the sockets are isolated from the case.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39015 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Kwackman »

I don't suppose your mixing desk has any switching options for monitoring?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3221 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by MarkOne »

Kwackman wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:08 pm I don't suppose your mixing desk has any switching options for monitoring?

It’s an SQ5. We can monitor all the mixes from there, including the mix going to the ATEM. Thing is, the ATEM is providing bus compression and a limiter, before that feed goes to YouTube. (This is a church streaming system) The ATEM also provides a multi screen monitor over HDMI so we can see what is on all the camera feeds and it passes the feed audio back through that HDMI. We can monitor that audio via the headphone socket on the monitor, so the operator can ensure there is nothing wrong with that feed.

But as I said in another thread, the operator is managing both the broadcast mix and the FOH mix, so a handy way to flick between both (and the musicians fold back mixes) would be handy.

In a perfect world we’d have a team managing the FOH, the stream and the camera switching independently. But volunteers who are willing to do this are thin on the ground.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by Mike Stranks »

Interesting...

Just this morning our service leader for today couldn't join us because of COVID in his house, so we rigged up a live feed from him via Zoom and connected that up to the sound system and the 72" video screen.

Two laptops: one handling the in-house on screen display and the other (me) handling the Zoom side of things. Both laptops used their HDMI outs through my RGBlink switcher so that I could switch instantly between the Zoom feed and things like words of hymns for the video screen.

All worked well, but I felt the absence of an easy means of talkback to the remote contributor. We were using an external camera/mic link into Zoom so he could follow what was happening. I needed to be able to patch/switch between the external mic and a headset for me. Complication was that the external mic was routed through the camera to keep sync so arrived at the Zoom PC via an HDMI-USB input.

As I type this I've worked out that the simplest way is a small mixer taking two mic inputs and feeding - through an attenuator - the mic input of the camera. More kit, but more control...

I'd like to come and see your set-up some day Mark... I'm in Cirencester (ish) so not too far away...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by James Perrett »

Can you send the headphone output from the video streamer to a couple of spare inputs on the desk and then just solo those channels when you want to hear them in the headphones?

It looks like all the other sends can be solo'd too so that you can check on monitor mixes in the same way.
James Perrett
Posts: 14372 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Mike Stranks »

These days (probably m'age!) I'm finding a session with pen, paper and a few diagrams helps me work through routing and connection options. :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Mike Stranks »

To Mark One:

Check out 'Fentronix' on eBay.

A bit like Orchid Electronics in Exeter, but more basic functions on their products. Fentronix do all sorts of switchers, attenuators etc - all of which they build themselves.

You could always contact them to check functionality - esp in the light of what's been said in this thread. Seems to me that they might be open to building something for you if you don't have the time/inclination to self-build.

I've bought a few gizmos from them. All good and do what they're supposed to.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by James Perrett »

Mike Stranks wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:52 am These days (probably m'age!) I'm finding a session with pen, paper and a few diagrams helps me work through routing and connection options. :)

It was looking at the block diagram in the manual that led me to realise that this should all be possible using PFL with no extra hardware (provided there were a couple of spare inputs on the desk).
James Perrett
Posts: 14372 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by resistorman »

James Perrett wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:58 pm Can you send the headphone output from the video streamer to a couple of spare inputs on the desk and then just solo those channels when you want to hear them in the headphones?

It looks like all the other sends can be solo'd too so that you can check on monitor mixes in the same way.

+1 :thumbup:
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2692 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by ef37a »

https://www.switchelectronics.co.uk/on- ... MHEALw_wcB

That ^ will give you the option of a couple of status LEDs. A Lithium 3V coin cell will last ages.

Personally I would not tie the case firmly to an incoming earth, instead take it to earth via 1k and 1nF in parallel to keep it bonded and exclude RFI.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16534 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by MarkPAman »

James Perrett wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:58 pm Can you send the headphone output from the video streamer to a couple of spare inputs on the desk and then just solo those channels when you want to hear them in the headphones?

I've sometimes done almost exactly this on an SQ6, (3.5mm TRS cable into ST3 input) and assigned a soft key as the PAFL button for that input so that it's always available.

Although the manual doesn't specifically say so (and my desk's packed away at the moment so I can't easily check this), I suspect that the PAFL can also be operated by a foot-switch, if it was wanted further away from the desk.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1020 Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:00 am Location: Somewhere between Portsmouth & Chichester