Guitar pedal power supply and polarity

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Guitar pedal power supply and polarity

Post by Will_m »

I'm trying to understand the polarity requirements for guitar pedals and specifically at present the Gamechanger Audio light pedal. Their own website states:

Gamechanger Audio LIGHT Pedal requires a standard pedal power supply – Barrel plug – 2.1 x 5.5 mm with a center-negative polarity with 9V DC and at least 500 mA.

But the picture on the back of the pedal shows this:

Which looks to me like centre - positive, unless I've misunderstood something. All my other pedals don't have anything on them to indicate a required polarity.

The two pedal power supplies I own both show plus - centre - negative on them.
Will_m
Frequent Poster

Re: Guitar pedal power supply and polarity

Post by Folderol »

Nope. It's exactly correct. Centre negative (as usual).
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18183 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Will_m »

Folderol wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:20 pm Nope. It's exactly correct. Centre negative (as usual).

Ah ok maybe I'm misunderstanding then. Going off this page about polarity, the images on the right seem to say that the symbol on the light pedal is centre positive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarity_symbols
Will_m
Frequent Poster

Post by resistorman »

Well, the diagram shows the center negative :think: . Momentary dyslexia attack?
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by resistorman »

:madas:
Will_m wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:28 pm
Folderol wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:20 pm Nope. It's exactly correct. Centre negative (as usual).

Ah ok maybe I'm misunderstanding then. Going off this page about polarity, the images on the right seem to say that the symbol on the light pedal is centre positive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarity_symbols

Actually, they show the same thing as the pedal. Just on the other side. The little dot in the middle represents the center terminal.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Will_m »

Ok, I think I've been reading it entirely wrong. So its whether the positive or negative connects to the centre dot and not the order of the symbols?

So the symbol on the image of the light pedal is centre negative but just happens to show a different left to right order to the one on the wikipedia page?
Will_m
Frequent Poster

Post by Folderol »

Exactly. However the wikipedia wording is vary bad and suggests the orientation is significant - it isn't. The only thing that matters is which symbol goes to the centre dot.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18183 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Will_m »

Folderol wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:52 pm Exactly. However the wikipedia wording is vary bad and suggests the orientation is significant - it isn't. The only thing that matters is which symbol goes to the centre dot.

Ah good to know, it definitely threw me a bit. Thanks for the help guys.
Will_m
Frequent Poster

Post by Dynamic Mike »

If you're looking for replacements or spares try myvolts.co.uk
Just tell them what it's for & they'll source it or manufacture it as appropriate. I got a replacement for the scrawny undersized one supplied by Line6. Quality stuff but they're not what you'd call quick. They can also add an inline switch which is great if the socket is under the desk or behind the sofa.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster
Keeping 2 Chevrons apart

Post by Will_m »

Dynamic Mike wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:58 am If you're looking for replacements or spares try myvolts.co.uk
Just tell them what it's for & they'll source it or manufacture it as appropriate. I got a replacement for the scrawny undersized one supplied by Line6. Quality stuff but they're not what you'd call quick. They can also add an inline switch which is great if the socket is under the desk or behind the sofa.

Thanks! looks like a useful site.
Will_m
Frequent Poster