Multitrack location recording rig and redundancy

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Multitrack location recording rig and redundancy

Post by stormymondays »

I’m trying to put together a rig for mobile multitrack recording without breaking the bank. 16 tracks would be enough, 24 tracks perfect. I’m stumped with the redundancy aspect, as I’d like to record in two different systems so I can be protected against failure.

I’d like to record straight into Logic with my MacBook Pro and have a backup system going.

I think the only foolproof solution would be to start from an analog mic splitter and take it from there.

However, anything that I can think of starts getting over complicated and/or ultra expensive real soon.

I have an RME Fireface 802 but maybe it’s better to get an interface with more analog I/O already built in.

Any thoughts? Sorry for asking a bit vague question…
stormymondays
Regular

Re: Multitrack location recording rig and redundancy

Post by Aled Hughes »

Soundcraft UI24R is very flexible, and offers onboard multitracking as well as functioning as an USB interface, so you can record to two separate paths at once. Of course, that’s not a true backup system, but it does offer some redundancy.

22 inputs (20 of which have mic preamps)

Some drawbacks include 48kHz operation and rather flaky onboard WiFi (you could always add another router if you need the WiFi control). Soundcraft have also gone a bit quiet on updating it.

It’s a heck of a lot for the money.
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1733 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru

Post by The Elf »

It doesn't quite meet your input count, but the Zoom L-20 can record internally and pass data to a DAW simultaneously. I use the L-12 for the same purpose.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19940 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by stormymondays »

Actually both the Zoom and the Soundcraft were on my radar for this. However, it’s still a “single point of failure”. But at least it protects against recording media failure and/or computer failure. Not too bad!
stormymondays
Regular

Post by shufflebeat »

I do some recording to hard drive with the A&H QuPac and have considered simultaneous recording to laptop, same potential single point of failure but I've been considering the possibilities and any pros/cons/waste of efforts.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9092 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Arpangel »

One of those Tascam 1U HD recorders similar to the more expensive JoeCo types, might be a solution.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by James Perrett »

I don't usually take a fully dual redundant setup to mobile recording gigs but I do tend to take a second laptop with a separate audio interface so that I can record a limited number of channels if the main system goes down.

Using a rack of 3 or 4 eight input preamps means that if one goes down I still have the others available.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by stormymondays »

These are all very helpful replies, thank you all! (I love this forum!)

I'm going to add the Allen & Heath Qu-PAC and Qu-SB to the list, since I think the QU Pac would be overkill. They look like VERY strong contendera, and on paper I like them way more than the Behringer X32 rack which I had also been considering in the past.

And I can use any of these units as a digital board for my own gigs, so that makes it a very good proposition. I like the expandability (digital snakes) of the A&B and Behringer.

James Perrett wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:09 pm I don't usually take a fully dual redundant setup to mobile recording gigs but I do tend to take a second laptop with a separate audio interface so that I can record a limited number of channels if the main system goes down.

Using a rack of 3 or 4 eight input preamps means that if one goes down I still have the others available.

Today I brought as a backup my Zoom F4 which enables me to record 6 tracks, which is enough for my Classical recordings. I fed 6 sends from my RME. If the RME died, I could switch the mics to the Zoom and keep recording. It's not fully redundant but it's something. I'm bringing 4 channels of DAV pres too.

I think a one of the above units recording to USB, plus recording to a computer, plus the Zoom F4 for backup is a very reasonable setup.
stormymondays
Regular

Post by James Perrett »

stormymondays wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:27 pm
I'm going to add the Allen & Heath Qu-PAC and Qu-SB to the list, since I think the QU Pac would be overkill. They look like VERY strong contendera, and on paper I like them way more than the Behringer X32 rack which I had also been considering in the past.

I've used both an A&H Qu and an X32 for live recording and both worked fine although the A&H is fussy about recording media and seemed to mis-report the amount of disk space left on a USB stick that I used with it. I'm also not sure that you can use the USB recording at the same time as the audio interface with these desks so check this before you buy.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Sam Spoons »

The X32 X-Live card allows 32 channel simultaneous recording to SD card and USB.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19594 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Mike Stranks »

You might want to checkout Cymatic Audio's utrack24...

There are also some of their 16-track machines still around as NOS or secondhand. I had two of these at various times. Fuss-free and work well - although picky about disk drives IME.

I did a lot of location multitrack work at one point. Must admit I never had any in-depth contingency. Only got 'bitten' once when the Cymatic objected to the connected drive. Mea culpa... I didn't test it before leaving home. :oops:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by OneWorld »

Aled Hughes wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:00 pm Soundcraft UI24R is very flexible, and offers onboard multitracking as well as functioning as an USB interface, so you can record to two separate paths at once. Of course, that’s not a true backup system, but it does offer some redundancy.

22 inputs (20 of which have mic preamps)

Some drawbacks include 48kHz operation and rather flaky onboard WiFi (you could always add another router if you need the WiFi control). Soundcraft have also gone a bit quiet on updating it.

It’s a heck of a lot for the money.

Hello, you write the UI24R can function as an interface, but on the various websites I have looked at it describes it as "Remote Controlled Digital Mixer / Multitrack Recorder" no mention of interface, though from description, it appears it will record to a DAW, so I guess it can function as an interface? Am I correct in thinking this? Thanks
OneWorld
Jedi Poster