Installing soft synths in Logic

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.
Post Reply

Installing soft synths in Logic

Post by The Paul meister »

Hi again everyone,

I have some soft synths from Native Instruments and IK multimedia ready to download from the Native Access and IK Product Manager respectively. When I try to install from IK it only gives me the option to install onto my hard disk which is called 'Untitled'. I have installed Sampletank 4 on the hd but I don't seem to be able to access it in Logic. I've also tried installing a soft synth from Native Access, but again I can't access it in Logic.

Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot, Paul
The Paul meister
Regular
Posts: 347 Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:00 am

Re: Installing soft synths in Logic

Post by MOF »

I’m a bit confused when you say ‘ready to download’ have you downloaded them yet, I presume you have from what you say later, have you validated the licences?
In the early days NI instruments had to be run in ‘stand alone’ mode first i.e. double click the App’ in the Applications folder, not sure if that’s still necessary, also have you quit Logic first to allow it to discover and validate the new plugins?
There are several pages in NI Access, check them all to see if you’ve validated plugins and that there are no missing links i.e. the Repair button.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2282 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Re: Installing soft synths in Logic

Post by in.name.only »

Have you checked Logic’s plugin manager?

Or go to "/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components" and see if it’s there. If not, find it and put it there.
User avatar
in.name.only
Poster
Posts: 38 Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:48 am

Re: Installing soft synths in Logic

Post by The Paul meister »

Hi MOF,

No, I haven't installed all the software yet as I'm trying to find the right place to put it before downloading it. Yes I did quit Logic to let it discover the plug ins but that didn't work either. Thanks for your reply, but I think I'll have to contact Logic help.

Cheers, Paul
The Paul meister
Regular
Posts: 347 Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:00 am

Re: Installing soft synths in Logic

Post by The Paul meister »

Hi in.name.only,

I don't seem to be able to find Logic's plug in manager. Also I can't find the Components folder that you suggested. Is this anything to do with the fact that I'm running Logic in trial mode, i.e. I haven't paid for it yet?

Cheers, Paul
The Paul meister
Regular
Posts: 347 Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:00 am

Re: Installing soft synths in Logic

Post by MOF »

No, I haven't installed all the software yet as I'm trying to find the right place to put it before downloading it.

Download it and run the installers, they will create the necessary folders in the correct file structure if they don’t already exist.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2282 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Re: Installing soft synths in Logic

Post by The Paul meister »

Hi MOF,

I have installed Sampletank 4 from IK Multimedia, but it only installs as the standalone version on the hard disk. It doesn't seem to create the file structure as you suggested.

Cheers, Paul
The Paul meister
Regular
Posts: 347 Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:00 am

Re: Installing soft synths in Logic

Post by Guest »

The Paul meister wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:00 pm Hi in.name.only,

I don't seem to be able to find Logic's plug in manager. Also I can't find the Components folder that you suggested. Is this anything to do with the fact that I'm running Logic in trial mode, i.e. I haven't paid for it yet?

Cheers, Paul

Lets see if the Audio Units are installed, open a terminal and type:

auval -a

This will give you a list of all the audio units installed, cut and paste the list here.

Cheers

Andy
User avatar
Guest

Re: Installing soft synths in Logic

Post by The Paul meister »

Hi Andy,

It's quite a long list. It does include Sampletank. Here's the result from the Terminal:

Cheers, Paul

Last login: Thu Dec 9 14:23:57 on ttys000
test@tests-iMac ProfileData_20211209_115534 % auval -a

AU Validation Tool
Version: 1.8.0
Copyright 2003-2019, Apple Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Specify -h (-help) for command options

aufx bpas appl - Apple: AUBandpass
aufx dcmp appl - Apple: AUDynamicsProcessor
aufx dely appl - Apple: AUDelay
aufx dist appl - Apple: AUDistortion
aufx filt appl - Apple: AUFilter
aufx greq appl - Apple: AUGraphicEQ
aufx hpas appl - Apple: AUHipass
aufx hshf appl - Apple: AUHighShelfFilter
aufx lmtr appl - Apple: AUPeakLimiter
aufx lpas appl - Apple: AULowpass
aufx lshf appl - Apple: AULowShelfFilter
aufx mcmp appl - Apple: AUMultibandCompressor
aufx mrev appl - Apple: AUMatrixReverb
aufx nbeq appl - Apple: AUNBandEQ
aufx nsnd appl - Apple: AUNetSend
aufx nutp appl - Apple: AUNewPitch
aufx pmeq appl - Apple: AUParametricEQ
aufx raac appl - Apple: AURoundTripAAC
aufx rogr appl - Apple: AURogerBeep
aufx rvb2 appl - Apple: AUReverb2
aufx sdly appl - Apple: AUSampleDelay
aufx tmpt appl - Apple: AUPitch
aupn ambi appl - Apple: AUSoundFieldPanner
aupn hrtf appl - Apple: HRTFPanner
aupn sphr appl - Apple: AUSphericalHeadPanner
aupn vbas appl - Apple: AUVectorPanner
aumu Stk4 Ikmm - IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4
aumu dls appl - Apple: DLSMusicDevice
aumu msyn appl - Apple: AUMIDISynth
aumu samp appl - Apple: AUSampler
aumx 3dem appl - Apple: AUSpatialMixer
aumx 3dmx appl - Apple: AUMixer3D
aumx mcmx appl - Apple: AUMultiChannelMixer
aumx mspl appl - Apple: AUMultiSplitter
aumx mxmx appl - Apple: AUMatrixMixer
aumx smxr appl - Apple: AUMixer
aufc conv appl - Apple: AUConverter
aufc defr appl - Apple: AUDeferredRenderer
aufc ipto appl - Apple: AUNotQuiteSoSimpleTime
aufc merg appl - Apple: AUMerger
aufc nutp appl - Apple: AUNewTimePitch
aufc splt appl - Apple: AUSplitter
aufc tmpt appl - Apple: AUTimePitch
aufc vari appl - Apple: AUVarispeed
auou ahal appl - Apple: AudioDeviceOutput
auou def appl - Apple: DefaultOutputUnit
auou genr appl - Apple: GenericOutput
auou rioc appl - Apple: AUAudioIO
auou sys appl - Apple: SystemOutputUnit
auou vpio appl - Apple: AUVoiceProcessor
augn afpl appl - Apple: AUAudioFilePlayer
augn nrcv appl - Apple: AUNetReceive
augn sspl appl - Apple: AUScheduledSoundPlayer
augn ttsp appl - Apple: AUSpeechSynthesis
auol tmpt appl - Apple: AUTimePitch
auol vari appl - Apple: AUVarispeed
test@tests-iMac ProfileData_20211209_115534 %
The Paul meister
Regular
Posts: 347 Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:00 am

Re: Installing soft synths in Logic

Post by Chromeman »

Try rebooting. Very often Logic doesn't 'see' some plugins on my Mac Pro until I've rebooted.
Chromeman
Regular
Posts: 226 Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Installing soft synths in Logic

Post by Guest »

Chromeman wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:47 pm Try rebooting. Very often Logic doesn't 'see' some plugins on my Mac Pro until I've rebooted.


Little tip:

killall -9 AudioComponentRegistrar

Type that from terminal and then start Logic and you will not need a reboot.
User avatar
Guest

Re: Installing soft synths in Logic

Post by Guest »

The Paul meister wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:29 pm Hi Andy,

It's quite a long list. It does include Sampletank. Here's the result from the Terminal:

Cheers, Paul

Right lets now see if it validates:

auval -v aumu Stk4 Ikmm
User avatar
Guest

Re: Installing soft synths in Logic

Post by The Paul meister »

Hi Andy,

I typed in what you said in the Terminal. It came up with a very long list with this at the bottom:

Bad Max Frames - Render should fail
PASS

Checking parameter setting
Using AudioUnitSetParameter
Using AudioUnitScheduleParameter
PASS

Checking ramped parameter scheduling
PASS

Test MIDI
PASS

* * PASS
--------------------------------------------------
AU VALIDATION SUCCEEDED.
--------------------------------------------------
test@tests-iMac ProfileData_20211209_115534 %

Can you advise on what to do next?

Thanks, Paul
The Paul meister
Regular
Posts: 347 Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:00 am

Re: Installing soft synths in Logic

Post by IAA »

I’d:

Goto the respective product managers, install from there the product you’ve purchased (if it says installed it’s done - if not do it, and if you can, let them install where they default to - obviously if you’ve no room it’s going to have to be an external drive )
Then reboot your Mac (to be on the safe side), then launch logic. It should scan the new plug ins, has MOF is trying to help you check.
IAA
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1254 Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:00 am

Re: Installing soft synths in Logic

Post by Guest »

The Paul meister wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:39 pm Hi Andy,

I typed in what you said in the Terminal. It came up with a very long list with this at the bottom:

Bad Max Frames - Render should fail
PASS

Checking parameter setting
Using AudioUnitSetParameter
Using AudioUnitScheduleParameter
PASS

Checking ramped parameter scheduling
PASS

Test MIDI
PASS

* * PASS
--------------------------------------------------
AU VALIDATION SUCCEEDED.
--------------------------------------------------
test@tests-iMac ProfileData_20211209_115534 %

Can you advise on what to do next?

Thanks, Paul

Right that is perfect, the AU is fine.

So start logic, then on the top menu choose: Logic Pro->Preferences->Plugin Manager.

Have a look in that list, you should see SampleTank in the list?

It should have "successfully validated: against it and a little tick in the use box.

If not, click on it and at the bottom choose "Reset and Rescan Selection"and it will re-validate.

So do you have the tick etc?
User avatar
Guest

Re: Installing soft synths in Logic

Post by The Paul meister »

Thanks Andy,

I’m not at home tonight so I will try tomorrow.

Cheers, Paul
The Paul meister
Regular
Posts: 347 Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:00 am

Re: Installing soft synths in Logic

Post by IAA »

Sorry Bob didn’t see your helpful reply. :headbang:
IAA
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1254 Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:00 am

Re: Installing soft synths in Logic

Post by The Paul meister »

Hi Andy,

I've opened the plug in manager and Sampletank 4 is there with a tick next to it. It also says Compatibility successfully validated. I don't know what to do next. How do I actually open Sampletank so I can use it with my keyboard?

Thanks for your help so far,

Paul
The Paul meister
Regular
Posts: 347 Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:00 am

Re: Installing soft synths in Logic

Post by Guest »

Righto so everything should be working :)

In logic create a "Software Instrument" track.

By default it will create a track most likely with a E-Piano, in the track inspector hover over the E-Piano bit and a little icon will appear on the right, click it and a list of instruments appears, look at the bottom and chose "AU Instruments", then find Sample Tank and click on it to load it.

Image

Image
User avatar
Guest

Re: Installing soft synths in Logic

Post by The Paul meister »

Hi Andy,

Thanks so much for your help. I've got Sampletank open now. It's not making any sounds but that's probably because I haven't downloaded the sounds yet. I'll do that next. I know the menu system that you suggested is working because I've just opened the Alchemy synth on it.

I was just wondering, was that all I needed to do - hover over the E-piano to open the menu? Maybe we didn't need to do the Terminal stuff etc?

Anyway, thanks again for your help. You really know your stuff!

Cheers, Paul
The Paul meister
Regular
Posts: 347 Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:00 am

Re: Installing soft synths in Logic

Post by MOF »

I was just wondering, was that all I needed to do - hover over the E-piano to open the menu? Maybe we didn't need to do the Terminal stuff etc?

I think so, Terminal is for deep diving into code when it’s got corrupted or doing things the system doesn’t want you to do, such as making a boot drive from a USB memory stick.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2282 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Re: Installing soft synths in Logic

Post by The Paul meister »

Ok MOF,

I’m sure you’re right.

Paul :thumbup:
The Paul meister
Regular
Posts: 347 Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:00 am

Re: Installing soft synths in Logic

Post by Guest »

The Paul meister wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:23 pm Hi Andy,

Thanks so much for your help. I've got Sampletank open now. It's not making any sounds but that's probably because I haven't downloaded the sounds yet. I'll do that next. I know the menu system that you suggested is working because I've just opened the Alchemy synth on it.

I was just wondering, was that all I needed to do - hover over the E-piano to open the menu? Maybe we didn't need to do the Terminal stuff etc?

Anyway, thanks again for your help. You really know your stuff!

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul,

No problem.

The terminal stuff was just to prove it was installed properly which Is what I thought the problem originally was. Logic uses that auval command to validate plugins and if it fails it won't let you load up the plugin.

Cheers

Andy
User avatar
Guest

Re: Installing soft synths in Logic

Post by The Paul meister »

Hi again,

Just wondering - why are you called [ACCOUNT DELETED] if your name’s Andy?

Cheers, Paul
The Paul meister
Regular
Posts: 347 Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:00 am
Post Reply